Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Any Ideas For 1 & 2yr Old Curriculum?
applejx12 10:51 PM 05-07-2009
Hi, A friend and I are currently working on starting a daycare facility here in Florida, we have idea's on what we want to implement for our 3 and 4 year olds in terms of lesson plans but I would like to have more ideas for the younger kids. What have you all done with the 1s and 2s? All input and advice wanted and NEEDED..thanks!

AppleJx12
smiles 10:43 AM 05-13-2009
Visit www.highreachlearning.com. Their curriculum is wonderful!
Unregistered 03:39 PM 05-13-2009
I am a home dc and I do a preschool curriculum. My experience is that 1 and 2's are just too difficult and too young to do a preschool curriculum. I have found the best age to start is 3. You could possibly do things like...when child is in the high chair give them blocks to build with or other creative toys for manipulation. I am not sure, as sometimes I think kids just need to be kids (in this case a toddler), and not have things (curriculum) forced upon them.
applejx12 05:34 PM 05-13-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a home dc and I do a preschool curriculum. My experience is that 1 and 2's are just too difficult and too young to do a preschool curriculum. I have found the best age to start is 3. You could possibly do things like...when child is in the high chair give them blocks to build with or other creative toys for manipulation. I am not sure, as sometimes I think kids just need to be kids (in this case a toddler), and not have things (curriculum) forced upon them.

Hey I agree I don't want to force anything on the kids...but I wonder what would be good activities to have? What I did with my own child may not be appropriate for other kids....for instance my 1 year old KNEW when Law n Order Was coming on :-), or other things like chase mommie...the blocks idea is great my son loved to push them over when he was 1....maybe the correct question should be...What fun activties have you all tried with the 1s and 2s?

AppleJx
Unregistered 03:49 AM 05-14-2009
A little of what a preschool day is like for me in my dc.

I put a preschool program together every year for my preschoolers. I base it on information I received (by request) from our elementary school. I asked them for the kindergarten packet that explains what the child needs to know to pass the k screening. Basically it covers: numbers 1 thru 10, 11 colors, alphabet, 4 basic shapes. I also go beyond that with some concept words, weekly craft projects, baking day, free play, music, etc.

I basically present my preschool in the mornings, when those under age 2 are napping. Rules are simple: sit quietly, listen, do your work and have fun.

I get most of my information off of websites. I love Kidsoup.com., and it is well worth the $22 per year. Also Childcareland.com is very good. There are many others out there too.

We do a lot of holiday activities/crafts. Bake something about 1 time per week. Have music day, book day, etc. I have found that coming up with a plan is the best and hardest thing to do. But once you figure it out and keep to your schedule....your days will go much smoother.

Here are a couple samples of what I used for my preschool outline....and just built off of it:

SEPTEMBER

Numbers: 1, 2

Alphabet: A, B, C, D

Shape: Circle

Colors: Red, Blue

Back To School

Fall

Apples

Song: Good Morning Song

OCTOBER

Numbers: 3, 4

Alphabet: E, F, G, H

Shape: Square

Colors: Orange, Brown

Halloween

Pumpkins

Fire Safety

Nursery Rhyme: Little Miss Muffet
applejx12 02:03 PM 05-17-2009
Hey Thanks for the great ideas...I will def remember your suggestions they are really good and build from them as you said....

AppleJx
Unregistered 08:12 AM 01-05-2010
I have run a childcare with a preschool program for 8 ys now. I know the younger children are more challenging to include in lesson plans, and to find developmentally appropriate activities is more difficult. Nonetheless, it is important as more and more is expected of our children in elementary school, and more is expected of our teachers, to provide opportunities for learning in daycare.

I use a full 3-4 yr old curriculum, and then add customized activities for the younger kids that fit/match the preschool activity/theme. As we introduce colors, for example, make sure to have colored bean bags or balls to hold or play hot potato with during circle time. Encourage early language by repeating the words. All of my two year olds know all of their colors and shapes and most of the alphabet. Incorporating multiple learning styles is important as well. While older children practice writing the letter you are working on, perhaps a lacing letter manipulative will help the younger child in the group. Sorting blocks by shape and color using traditional block shape sorter, while you assist and encourage them to say the shape or color, as a game with you, should have those skills mastered in no time. Songs for each letter, color, number and season are available ( I think I got mine through Trend)and music is universal.

It's important to include the younger children as much as possible while respecting their natural attention span limits. Use many, many short 5-10 minute teachable moments throughout the day, reinforcing the same concepts. Make sure to read several times a day. Choose short easy books for the toddlers as well as books appropriate for the 3-4 yr olds. Have board books that they can have handy, and read them every time they bring it to you to share. I have kids reading as young as 3 here. Best of luck, and kudos to you for trying to give all the children in your care the best!
gkids09 03:56 PM 02-12-2010
I have owned a daycare for almost 2 years, but have worked there since I was about 15. My grandmother owned it for 22 years, and I took it over from her when she retired, so I have seen many activities she did with younger children. Now, I take kids age 1-5 years, and have some after school kids too. At this time, I don't have any kids who take a morning nap, as most of them realize about 1.5 years that they're "missing out" on something sleeping!
Anyway, for the younger kids, I do not force them to do anything, but sit them down with the older kids and let them color a picture. We read to them, sing with them, do nursery rhymes, count, go over colors and shapes, and randomly say the alphabet, months, and days. One of my employees and I also spell their names VERY frequently. I have a one year old now who can already spell her name, and almost all of the older kids can too. Now for circle time, which includes calendar, shapes and colors, counting, patterns, seasons, etc etc etc, I start them when they seem to WANT to sit down and pay attention with the other kids. Usually, this is around age 3, but I have three or four 2 year olds who do circle time now.
I find lots of ideas online. prekinders.com has some good ideas to build on, and this website, http://www.123child.com/UBB/showthread.php?p=50992, I have always liked to use for fingerprint activities, which I have found all ages can do. Good luck!!
Unregistered 01:39 PM 05-26-2011
ABC Jesus Loves Me has a great -FREE - preschool curriculum program. Although only a 3 and 4 year Curriculum is available right now, the creater of the site (Momma C) is working on creating a 2 and 5 year curriculum as well.
Unregistered 05:58 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by applejx12:
Hi, A friend and I are currently working on starting a daycare facility here in Florida, we have idea's on what we want to implement for our 3 and 4 year olds in terms of lesson plans but I would like to have more ideas for the younger kids. What have you all done with the 1s and 2s? All input and advice wanted and NEEDED..thanks!

AppleJx12
I have a 2.8 and a 1.1 year old (both boys) I have noticed that my 1.1 year old loves to do what my 2.8 year old does. if he colors he wants to be there as well, if we read books, he is there as well. I as well have a daycare. What i do with my kids and my daycare i use flash cards and we do phonics for example A makes this noise ah and maybe show them an apple and say it to the Ah-pp-el ( making sure to emphasize on the A sound) They are learning new words all the time and they might start to get confused with sounds and so on. this will help them develop there pronouciation and beging reading as well. Another thing is Stamp art.
Unregistered 11:33 AM 08-25-2011
THANK YOU for the ABC Jesus Loves Me website.... they have two year olds up now
Unregistered 07:06 AM 08-29-2011
Crafts are a great idea for any daycare curriculum. I currently work at a daycare and we do a lot of crafts with the kids. We frequent the blog at Factory Direct Craft because of the many great ideas there. The kids crafts can be found at http://factorydirectcraft.com/factor...ts-and-crafts/
Unregistered 12:08 PM 01-07-2012

AppleJx12
I work at a daycare and for 1 and 2 classes we do color songs, the alphabet, calender, numbers, weather, and other sorts of things you can teach them just about anything but you just cant do it to the limits you would set for a 3 or 4 year old but its definitely not a hard thing to do you just have to have patience with them and do it repetitively.
Unregistered 05:14 PM 07-31-2012
I lead a class of one year olds and we do circle time twice a day with flashcards, singing songs, and reading short books. They now know that right after snack is circle time and they run to our rug to sit down for it as soon as they finish snack. My center also teaches 3 languages including sign language. After having this particular group of kids for 2 weeks they are beginning to recognize and sign colors, more, and please. Some of the kids can also sign for water and milk when they are thirsty. Some can let me know through sign when they need a diaper change. They are eager to learn and experience the world around them and I often theme my lesson plans. One week I did bears and we colored bear pictures, read Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See. They love anything that they can put in their mouths without being reprimanded. For example, I sometimes let them finger paint with something edible like apple sauce or yogurt. They also love the reach and feel box. I took an empty tissue box and filled it with objects that will stimulate their senses: I have soft and rough items, sachets containing cinnamon or lemon zest (I put new ones in periodically so the lemon zest doesn't spoil), balls that bounce, rattles, etc..., and they take turns pulling items out of the box to examine. They also love when a grown-up talks to them with a puppet. They love any kind of music and most of my kids have mastered head and shoulders knees and toes. It's never too early to start teaching kids, the trick is for adults to teach the kids effectively.
Earl Watson 08:57 AM 09-06-2012
Kids, teachers and parents love this curriculum.

•Nursery: http://www.discipleland.com/Nursery
•Preschool children: http://www.discipleland.com/Preschool
•Kindergarten kids: http://www.discipleland.com/Kindergarten
Largemouthfrog 08:27 AM 01-30-2013
http://youtu.be/bw2nif3jt6w

This clip teaches little ones about animals, counting etc and does it through a great music cartoon clip.
The site also has other resources.
www.largemouthfrog.net
Unregistered 07:10 PM 01-31-2013
I am sorry, but I disagree. I too run a home child care. I have a one year old currently in my care. She is now able to recognize the color's purple and green on her own. She may not be able to speak well, but can point them out if you ask her. She was taught by me.... I taught in a fun way. We laughed, danced, and played all while learning. She was not my only youngster at the time either. I also care for a recently turned 2 year old. She now recognizes all her colors and her letters A, B, and C.... plus the sounds they make..., as well as her numbers 1-5 (recognition, and grouping). My 3 year old daughter knows her letters by sight and sound as well as numbers 1-12. She has also mastered rhyming words.

Children are never too young to learn. They just learn in different ways. My best advise is to be creative. Don't always think things have to be by the book. Children need creativity and to know that what they are doing is valued. I do agree not to push, but if you are doing a curriculum where it is fun they do not see it as learning. Always keep a schedule where they know what to expect at all times. Kids need this to grow.

These are just things that have worked for me... oh and one other thing, 1 and 2 year olds love to paint with their hands (finger paint) and when you do this in a certain color it also helps them to learn their colors while making a mess!
butterfly 07:29 AM 02-01-2013
I am sorry, but I disagree. I too run a home child care. I have a one year old currently in my care. She is now able to recognize the color's purple and green on her own. She may not be able to speak well, but can point them out if you ask her. She was taught by me.... I taught in a fun way. We laughed, danced, and played all while learning. She was not my only youngster at the time either. I also care for a recently turned 2 year old. She now recognizes all her colors and her letters A, B, and C.... plus the sounds they make..., as well as her numbers 1-5 (recognition, and grouping). My 3 year old daughter knows her letters by sight and sound as well as numbers 1-12. She has also mastered rhyming words.

Children are never too young to learn. They just learn in different ways. My best advise is to be creative. Don't always think things have to be by the book. Children need creativity and to know that what they are doing is valued. I do agree not to push, but if you are doing a curriculum where it is fun they do not see it as learning. Always keep a schedule where they know what to expect at all times. Kids need this to grow.

These are just things that have worked for me... oh and one other thing, 1 and 2 year olds love to paint with their hands (finger paint) and when you do this in a certain color it also helps them to learn their colors while making a mess!

Unregistered 10:55 AM 02-12-2013
Hey I agree I don't want to force anything on the kids...but I wonder what would be good activities to have? What I did with my own child may not be appropriate for other kids....for instance my 1 year old KNEW when Law n Order Was coming on :-), or other things like chase mommie...the blocks idea is great my son loved to push them over when he was 1....maybe the correct question should be...What fun activties have you all tried with the 1s and 2s?

AppleJx
I have one year olds at the daycare that I work at. I am required to do lesson plans & it is very difficult because there attention span lasts about five minutes. They could care less about a "schedule". Give me a break, they are still babies!!! They are happy when I set in the floor and play, sing songs or read to them.
Unregistered 02:46 AM 08-14-2013
I have taught one year old preschool as a Lead Teacher for the past 8 years. A curriculum is important for guided learning through play. Since I work at a Methodist Church we utilize the Wee Learn curriculum by Lifeway. It uses in the book items that are developmentally important and integrates them into a play setting. This allows them play to them and intentional learning for us. They must have developmental skill sets to prep them for 2k, 3k etc... Fine motor skills work like putting things into say juice bottles, gross motor skills from 2 feet jumping (which can be accomplished through songs), crossing the median line important for brain transference, working on turning pages in books, really imperative are sensory items can be accomplished in art, a felt board, washing a baby, a sensory bin with age appropriate items, art using up and down motion outside on a wall, the most important thing is to have a caring teacher who knows where they are at and take them where they need to be. Knowing the expectations of each age. We use the Ages and Stages Questionnaire for our evaluations and have seen wonderful results. If my one year olds are still having a morning nap I transition them to the 9 to 12 schedule by meeting their needs.
Unregistered 07:54 AM 08-29-2013
Hi Everyone!
I just stumbled on this blog and was ecstatic to find a group of such enthusiastic daycare professionals. I could really use your help. I am a stay at home mom living abroad with my 13 month old son. My husband and I are raising our son in a bilingual house. We have chosen not to send our son to daycare here, because the daycares where we live are all run in the local language, which is barely spoken beyond this very limited region. We don't want to trade his English learning time for a little used regional language, especially since we plan to leave this region before our son begins school.
So,...It is up to me to educate my son and help him as much as I can to be ready to start preschool in the States. Do you have any curriculums that I could follow that would practical for a home setting? I know I can't replicate a daycare setting in that I don't have all of the toys, nor the group of other kids with whom to watch and interact. My background is in marine science, not childhood education. What would you as educators recommend to someone in my situation? I feel like I am failing my son. I try to have activities each day, but don't feel that the activities are structured enough, nor do they complement one another. I may have unrealistic expectations about how focused my son can be on any one activity. He cares more for the light switch than any shape sorter:-) He loves books, but rarely sits still for a story unless it is before bed (he gets 2 naps and bed, so 3 stories per day).
How much should I be forcing an agenda and how much should I just be elaboratiing on what he finds interesting? Are there any books or resources that you could recommend for someone in my situation?
I am interested to learn more. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
kind regards
daycare 08:07 AM 08-29-2013
at 13 months I would just read and read read read to him. Then play play play. then sing sing sing!!

I would just think out loud. Tell him everything that you are doing and build his vocabulary. it's amazing to see how well kids read when they are older if their parents spent the time talking to them, reading to them and building their vocabulary when they were young.

My oldest son who is now 17 started reading books at age 3. By the time he was in Kindergarten, he could read at a 3-4 grade level.

Puzzles and dumping buckets of anything are always fun at this age.
Lavender 02:29 PM 08-29-2013
Hi Everyone!
I just stumbled on this blog and was ecstatic to find a group of such enthusiastic daycare professionals. I could really use your help. I am a stay at home mom living abroad with my 13 month old son. My husband and I are raising our son in a bilingual house. We have chosen not to send our son to daycare here, because the daycares where we live are all run in the local language, which is barely spoken beyond this very limited region. We don't want to trade his English learning time for a little used regional language, especially since we plan to leave this region before our son begins school.
So,...It is up to me to educate my son and help him as much as I can to be ready to start preschool in the States. Do you have any curriculums that I could follow that would practical for a home setting? I know I can't replicate a daycare setting in that I don't have all of the toys, nor the group of other kids with whom to watch and interact. My background is in marine science, not childhood education. What would you as educators recommend to someone in my situation? I feel like I am failing my son. I try to have activities each day, but don't feel that the activities are structured enough, nor do they complement one another. I may have unrealistic expectations about how focused my son can be on any one activity. He cares more for the light switch than any shape sorter:-) He loves books, but rarely sits still for a story unless it is before bed (he gets 2 naps and bed, so 3 stories per day).
How much should I be forcing an agenda and how much should I just be elaboratiing on what he finds interesting? Are there any books or resources that you could recommend for someone in my situation?
I am interested to learn more. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
kind regards
I am a lead teacher of mobile infants up to age 18 months. Every day I take them outside or substitute a large motor activity if we can't go outside, I provide a sensory activity, an art activity, and one more fun things. We read lots of books (get more at the library that I don't have at home), I sing songs and do fingerplays plus play music and dance. I try to do simple themes as repetition is good for learning at this age. This week I did a water/fish theme. Some of my activities:

"swimming" in a baby pool with stuffed fish
"swimming" with rubber duckies
crawling in a tunnel
stepping on a sensory mat
Playing with warm, soapy water and bath toys in sensory table
Playing with ice
Regular water play
Putting paint on fingertips which they spread on wooden fish, then giving them a paintbrush and water to spread the paint around (making rainbow fish)
Squirting food coloring dyed water on paper and manipulating it

I don't use a specific curriculum, instead I base my plans on observations of my kids and their families plus what is going on around us. For example, I planned a sun/sunflower week during a week I knew was supposed to be sunny all 5 days.

With this age, IMO, all you ready need to do to meet their developmental needs to to read, talk a lot (narration and good interactive child-directed speech), and provide them opportunities to explore the world and what their new-found mobile bodies can do.
RituPatil 02:55 AM 01-12-2016

AppleJx12
Pre school education is one of the most important phase of a child's life. It is here where the children interact with others. A good pre school is one that balances perfectly between fun and education for the children. Planet kids provide this balance and i can see the difference in my kids now.
Unregistered 05:24 PM 03-30-2016
My kiddos start to be interested in creative art around 14/15 months. I don't ever require or push them. I do all open ended art. They start to sit at circle time out of choice about 18 mo.

I do a very a short circle time 7-10 minutes and it's very interactive and visual with flannel board activities, finger puppets, songs, puppetry, etc.

My littles are joining in a lot by 20 months!
Unregistered 04:10 PM 03-24-2017

AppleJx12
I have been teaching children between 12-24 months for almost 8 years. This is our typical day...Breakfast from 730a-8a, 8a-9a diapers and color review, 9a is story time, 915a-930a art/craft, 930a-10a snack, 10a-1030a diapers and centers, 1030a-11a outside time, 11a-1120a circle time, 1120a hand washing, 1130a-12p lunch, 1215p-230p nap/quite time, 230p-3p snack, 3p-330p diapers/shapes review, 330p-4p outside time. People who say you can not teach one year olds are very very wrong. I have 10 in my class and 6 of the them know red, blue, green, yellow, orange, brown, black, white, purple and pink. They can count to 10 in English and Spanish. They know square, circle, triangle, heart, oval, rectangle and star. We also do Reading, Drawing, Writing. This is a program where you read a book for two days, the third day you just review the book let them ask questions or just show the pictures, the fourth day you have them "draw" something that relates to the book and then the fifth day you ask them to "talk" about their drawing. It's amazing!! Their little minds are sponges and they love to learn as long as you make it fun
Trust DayCare 08:25 PM 10-31-2017
Hi All,

We had our daily activities that you could see and try , check it out here :

Hope you find it helpful

Best,

Trust DayCare
Tags:1 yr, 2 yr, 2009, activities - 1 year old, curriculum, curriculum - toddlers, daycare, toddler curriculum
Reply Up