Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Introducting Basic Spanish & Sign Language 3-5 Year Olds
Abigail 05:57 PM 11-29-2017
Does anyone have a SPECIFIC website or company they use for teaching introduction to Spanish (everyone here speaks ONLY English) and introduction to sign language?

I want to be able to add in fun tidbit facts when working mostly with 4-5 year olds and teach basic Spanish words and sign language. I don't know either very well and don't want to stress out trying to figure out some simple teachable words to do each week/month.

I have a sign language alphabet poster so we can learn how to sign the letters as we work on them throughout the year and I know SOME baby sign language, but do you have a fun way to teach maybe 8-12 words a month or tie it into a seasonal theme?

What should I do/How should I go about teaching a few Spanish words and sign language words each week? I use to purchase curriculums and remember they would include a few flashcards each month but I quit doing any curriculum I have to buy instead I create my own things to do.
PhotogMum 06:01 PM 11-29-2017
For sign language I used Signing time with my own 2. It is a series of videos that teaches basic ASL. They loved the videos and songs In
MarinaVanessa 09:30 PM 11-29-2017
I second the Signing Time suggestion. It's a GREAT resource. It's not a website per say but rather a show/DVD's that you can play. You can view parts of some on YouTube to check them out but would have to pay for the rest but it's definitely a worthy investment. And you can buy them slowly over time since they start with beginner words and work up from there as the videos progress. My kids all love them. The Aunt Rachel for the show does her own thing also and those videos are great too.

Rachel's TreeSchool: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2q...iuPmH6w/videos

I also like Baby Sign Language. They have videos to show you the motions of the words, written explanations and clipart that you can print and use as flashcards to post.
https://www.babysignlanguage.com/

As far as teaching them Spanish ... you mention not knowing it well so I'd like to share something for you to ponder. Pronunciation and phonetics is important so is proper usage of words when learning a language.
Mispronouncing words can unintentionally teach the language incorrectly which can make it difficult for them later if they try to learn the language at a later time. Essentially they'd have to un-learn what they learned incorrectly and then learn it all over again. So use Google Translate and other websites when you can that let you listen to the way the words are pronounced and practice yourself before you teach the new word to the kids and they'll do great. Google translate has the "Listen" option (looks like a speaker/volume icon).

First make a list of all of the everyday words that you use the most during a normal day and then look up how to say them in sign and in spanish. Start with 10-20 common words and then add more as they start understanding.
Words like Mom, Dad, Eat, Sleep, Change, Hungry, Play, Help, Thirsty, Drink, and common snacks and food you eat are a great place to start.

I took a workshop about teaching sign to babies and pretty much you can start as early as 6 months (to introduce words) but they won't start to repeat words or hand gestures until between 9-12 months.
Abigail 08:45 PM 11-30-2017
I did take three years of Spanish, but that was over a decade ago..........ha ha! I'm just wondering if their was a website (or someone on here!) which would tell me the best words/way to start speaking SOME Spanish to 3-5 year olds. Obviously none of their parents are going to speak it so no need to really get in depth but maybe their is a program that has a great way to teach young children basics? I'm not sure how to choose which words besides the basic 20-30 that we commonly use. Do I want to buy a Spanish 1 book and just use vocabulary words or do phrases as well? I wish I knew others who spoke multiple languages!
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 12-01-2017
Several of my DCK's have successfully used the Duolingo app and learned several words/phrases and sentences easily.

The app is available for Apple and Android

https://www.duolingo.com/
flying_babyb 06:57 PM 12-08-2017
Spanish- SING!! just sing a song with the words. Works like a charm. Used to do the days of the week, months of the year, counting to 30, shapes and colors with my 3-5 group. After 3 weeks they could do all of the above alone! they aslo knew a few food words. Did alot of say it in English, then Spanish through the day too. Also labeled everything under the sun in Spanish and English.
LysesKids 07:34 AM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Spanish- SING!! just sing a song with the words. Works like a charm. Used to do the days of the week, months of the year, counting to 30, shapes and colors with my 3-5 group. After 3 weeks they could do all of the above alone! they aslo knew a few food words. Did alot of say it in English, then Spanish through the day too. Also labeled everything under the sun in Spanish and English.
I do it in French with my babies... the earlier they hear it the faster they catch on. We play french songs & I speak it on a regular basis. I know most are too little and not speaking yet, but I've been surprised by a few who could speak basics before 18 months because they were exposed to it regularly
Lissa Kristine 05:11 PM 05-08-2018
I love Signing Time videos. Even if you choose not to have your kids watch the videos/clips, they can be a great way to teach yourself the signs. Then, you can bring the signs and songs into your lesson plans.

I use ASL whenever possible in the classroom. I am not fluent in the least, but I do have a pretty nice ASL vocabulary. Once, I was even able to teach a group of toddlers (19 months to 2 years) without speaking for an entire day because I used enough ASL in the classroom previously. When I signed "Eat Crackers" they sat down at the table. When I signed "Outside" they sat down along the wall by the door. When I signed "Train" they stood up and got in line (we practiced walking down the halls like 'Choo Choo Trains').

I think the best way is real life applications. Do you have a "Days of the Week" song that you sing during Circle Time? Why not learn the signs for the days of the week and add them in as Hand Motions during the song? Or try singing the days in Spanish instead. Learn a few signs for colors and animals and sign the words when reading "Brown Bear, Brown Bear."

Within a month or two, my kids knew the signs for:

Train
"A"
Orange
Apple
Cracker
Eat
All Done
More
Potty
Diaper
Outside
Sit
Clean up
Shoes
Please
Sorry
Stop
Go
Turtle
Bubble
Cheese

Keep in mind that many of these kids were under 2. Some of them were not speaking yet, and even the one(s) who could recognize the sign for "orange" were still learning their colors. These were signs I could use during everyday activities. If a child stood up during snacktime, I would say and sign "Sit".

I also played and sang songs where I could use ASL vocabulary. One of the favorites was "The Silly Pizza Song" from Signing Time. Most of the time, I'd sing it using the kids' names. "I like Willow on my pizza. I like Willow pizza please. Put the Willow on my pizza. Don't forget the extra CHEESE." Eventually, I would pause for "Cheese" and the kids would say and sign the word.

I am using "Pete the Cat I Love my White Shoes" during working interviews. There, we focus on the sign for "shoe," but I also sign "Red, Brown, Blue, and Wet". Afterwards, we do a little activity involving matching colored shoes, and I will sign the color of the shoes.
lblanke 06:43 PM 07-08-2018
Rockalingua has lots of free videos and songs to teach basic Spanish words
ellen211 12:02 AM 07-11-2018
Originally Posted by PhotogMum:
For sign language I used Signing time with my own 2. It is a series of videos that teaches basic ASL. They loved the videos and songs In
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it and hoping my kids will like it.
lblanke 03:36 AM 04-28-2021
Salsa, on the Georgia PBS website for Spanish
Anne Ross 05:25 AM 08-11-2021
Good idea about teaching them Spanish and sign language!
Tags:asl, curriculum, preschool, sign language, spanish, teach
Reply Up