Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Infant Room Question
Unregistered 05:52 PM 02-06-2012
I have 2 kids enrolled at a daycare center in TX. I was just told today that because of state licensing requirements, I can't bring my 3 year old into the infant room to pick up his younger sibling. I was looking in the manual online but couldn't find anything pertaining to this. Does anyone know if this rule is legit? It doesn't really matter since i can just get the baby first, but I was curious. I'm supervising the older one the whole time we're in the infant room anyway.
Snapdragon 01:54 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have 2 kids enrolled at a daycare center in TX. I was just told today that because of state licensing requirements, I can't bring my 3 year old into the infant room to pick up his younger sibling. I was looking in the manual online but couldn't find anything pertaining to this. Does anyone know if this rule is legit? It doesn't really matter since i can just get the baby first, but I was curious. I'm supervising the older one the whole time we're in the infant room anyway.
I don't know about being a licensing requirement in TX, but at our center in VA we do not allow older children in the infant room because of the chance an older child might harm one of the infants (I know it's unlikely, but not worth the risk). Not all parents are good about supervising their older children and it's just easier to make it policy not to allow them in the infant room. Also, parents must take off their shoes before going into the infant room to avoid contaminating the carpet where infants crawl. Although parents were good about taking off their shoes, they often forgot about their older children's shoes (or the older child did not want to remove his or her shoes).
Cat Herder 04:24 AM 02-07-2012
I have never known of it being allowed, either.

I am pretty confident this is standard practice in the best interest of the infants.

Here it is also standard practice to require parents to put disposable booties over their shoes before entering as well.
melskids 06:28 AM 02-07-2012
When I worked in the infant room, the older siblings were not allowed to come in either, for safety reasons.

I would just pick up the baby first, then head to the 3's room.
godiva83 06:40 AM 02-07-2012
In my centre it was not a mandated law, or rule; however, it was a policy that our centre had.

Surprisingly, a lot of parents complained about this 'rule' as it seemed to be a big inconvenience to them. I guess it is hard to help a toddler get dressed while holding a little one. Although, this rule was in place to protect those little ones that were crawling, or non movers, it is all about the safety and best interest of the children.

Anyway, because we had so many complaints we built a little entrance way with a low wall and tile floor with a gate and StRICT rule only Staff and Infants on the other side.
melskids 09:29 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by godiva83:
In my centre it was not a mandated law, or rule; however, it was a policy that our centre had.

Surprisingly, a lot of parents complained about this 'rule' as it seemed to be a big inconvenience to them. I guess it is hard to help a toddler get dressed while holding a little one. Although, this rule was in place to protect those little ones that were crawling, or non movers, it is all about the safety and best interest of the children.

Anyway, because we had so many complaints we built a little entrance way with a low wall and tile floor with a gate and StRICT rule only Staff and Infants on the other side.
yeah..I should add, our infant room had a half door, so the parents could actually stand at the doorway to pick up their infant without even coming in.
Tags:infant care
Reply Up