Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No grains
BabyMonkeys 05:57 AM 02-10-2015
One of my boys 14m can't have any grains. He can have corn, which according to his pediatrician is actually a fruit. I am at a loss as to what to feed this little guy. I feel like we have the exact same things every single day, and he is getting tired of them. According to his parents, he will eat eggs at home. He shrieks if he even sees eggs at my house. Other than fruits + veggies, he eats string cheese, yogurt and beans.
CraftyMom 06:28 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
One of my boys 14m can't have any grains. He can have corn, which according to his pediatrician is actually a fruit. I am at a loss as to what to feed this little guy. I feel like we have the exact same things every single day, and he is getting tired of them. According to his parents, he will eat eggs at home. He shrieks if he even sees eggs at my house. Other than fruits + veggies, he eats string cheese, yogurt and beans.
I would want something written from the doctor as to what he can and can't have. I would not want to risk giving him the wrong food or avoiding a food that he actually can have unknowingly
mim 06:29 AM 02-10-2015
Is it wheat or gluten or what is it exactly?
I had a dcb once that was 4yrs. He was allergic to gluten and wheat. So we had rice, corn tortillas, gluten free pasta, gluten free Mac and cheese etc. he had never even had bread before so I went to a special gluten free store and bought him his own bread. Yes it $6 a loaf, but for just him it lasted a while in my freezer. He ate everything we did, just tweaked a bit. I started making taco casseroles layering the meat and corn tortillas, chili and stir fry often also. HTH

Yes also, get a copy of the actual test results with the doctor note to keep with his file.
LysesKids 06:36 AM 02-10-2015
What happened to serving other proteins like roasted chicken? You need to start offering a variety of stuff; it could take 5-10 tries before the little one might like it, but if it's not put in front of him how will you know?

Try kielbasa with potatoes & onion... Tuna salad on lettuce leaves, lunchmeat & sliced cheese roll ups? Add fine diced hotdogs to beans. Heck, my kids drink soup broth in sippy cups (Miso is a favorite). Just because he can't have grains does it mean lack of interesting meals; all my kids are under 24 months & they all eat a variety of stuff (is this child diagnosed celiac or what?... even my gluten/dairy/soy free kid can eat rice & buckwheat and I have a dr's note to prove it, not just parents word). Make smoothies for snacks. And are you changing how the eggs are cooked? Has little man ever had egg salad? Japanese sweet omelet? just a thought
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 02-10-2015
When children come to me with requests (whether medical or by choice) for a specialized diet, I require a written plan from the child's Dr or nutritionist that outlines EXACTLY what the child can and can't have. I also require several meal options to be listed.

I am not a dietician nor a nutritionist so I require them to bring me a list of appropriate foods in ALL food groups so that I don't have figure it out.
Play Care 06:54 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When children come to me with requests (whether medical or by choice) for a specialized diet, I require a written plan from the child's Dr or nutritionist that outlines EXACTLY what the child can and can't have. I also require several meal options to be listed.

I am not a dietician nor a nutritionist so I require them to bring me a list of appropriate foods in ALL food groups so that I don't have figure it out.

I honestly do not have the time in my day to spend cooking meals in hopes they are safe and will be eaten.
daycarediva 09:22 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

AGREED!

I also don't provide special food, if it's that much of an inconvenience, pass the buck back to the parents and tell them he needs his lunch & snacks packed with (FOOD PROGRAM GUIDELINES) followed.
melilley 10:23 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by mim:
Is it wheat or gluten or what is it exactly?
I had a dcb once that was 4yrs. He was allergic to gluten and wheat. So we had rice, corn tortillas, gluten free pasta, gluten free Mac and cheese etc. he had never even had bread before so I went to a special gluten free store and bought him his own bread. Yes it $6 a loaf, but for just him it lasted a while in my freezer. He ate everything we did, just tweaked a bit. I started making taco casseroles layering the meat and corn tortillas, chili and stir fry often also. HTH

Yes also, get a copy of the actual test results with the doctor note to keep with his file.

I had a child who couldn't have foods with gluten or dairy. I just bought corn based/gluten free noodles, tortillas, and bread. The rest was easy to get around. But if it is a gluten allergy, a lot of foods (especially canned) have gluten in them so you really have to read labels.
For me the cost was the only pain.

OP, I agree, get a Dr. note! I have a feeling this dcm of my former dcb wanted to feel special and that her son was fine with gluten and it wasn't an allergy like she said. Dcb accidentally ate some crackers that weren't gluten free. I told dcd and he just said that it happens and wasn't concerned at all. That's why I think he didn't have an allergy. It took a lot of time and gluten free is expensive, and if they did lie about it, that's messed up. I should have and will in the future, require testing results/Dr. note.
heyhun77 10:47 AM 02-10-2015
You could search for paleo ideas since paleo doesn't include grains. Of course paleo doesn't include corn since it's a grain but it would give you some ideas.
laundrymom 10:54 AM 02-10-2015
My weekly fee includes cost of foods unless child is on specialized diet plan, that cost is either added onto fee or parent brings alternatives for me to serve. I don't allow them to provide meals. They bring a "stash" and I sneak the allowed item into childs meal. They never know.
Reply Up