Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Have Closed?
Unregistered 07:56 AM 08-04-2016
Last week a dcb threw up and I sent him home.

Well a few days ago, my own son threw up during the daycare. I normally close when my kids get sick, but I decided to give the dcp's the option this time. They were fine with leaving their kids here and my kid was away from them the whole day. He only threw up once and he felt totally fine after that, but I didnt let him near the other kids.

Well now my one year old is sick. He threw up 30 minutes before my daycare opened, so I notified the parents and they were still totally fine with bringing their kids.

I have spent so much time cleaning up throw up and taking care of my son and I'm so drained! Would you have closed? I felt bad for closing in the past because I want the parents to be able to depend on me, but this is crazy! He's thrown up 6 times now ugh.
daycarediva 08:05 AM 08-04-2016
If my own kids are sick, I have back up care so I don't have to close. Dh's job was(still is) more flexible and he is able to take off to be with them so that I didn't have to close. Now that they are older, they are mostly self sufficient as far as illnesses go, they can stay in their own rooms and make it to the bathroom as needed. If it's bad enough, dh will still take off, but I can go check on them if it's not too bad.
Scout 09:58 AM 08-04-2016
I stayed open the first time my son had the stomach flu and will NEVER do that again! I did the same as you and sent a text letting the parents choose to bring their child or not. All of them came and I spent a miserable day trying to hold a bucket for my 6 yo while 2 and 3 yo were nearby. NEVER AGAIN! I will always close now if one of my kids are vomiting. Live and learn I guess. I felt so bad that I couldn't sit with him in his chair. All he wanted to do was be with his mom because throwing up scared him and I couldn't because I stayed open.
Unregistered 10:05 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Scout:
I stayed open the first time my son had the stomach flu and will NEVER do that again! I did the same as you and sent a text letting the parents choose to bring their child or not. All of them came and I spent a miserable day trying to hold a bucket for my 6 yo while 2 and 3 yo were nearby. NEVER AGAIN! I will always close now if one of my kids are vomiting. Live and learn I guess. I felt so bad that I couldn't sit with him in his chair. All he wanted to do was be with his mom because throwing up scared him and I couldn't because I stayed open.
I'm never doing this again either!! My poor little guy is miserable and of course the dck's are extra hyper and crazy today so my son can't get a good nap. :-( I feel awful. I feel like I'm always putting this daycare first and now I feel like a bad mom.
Play Care 10:08 AM 08-04-2016
In my state I would have had to close if I didn't have a back up care giver for my child. I did close when my kids were little and don't regret it for one moment.
My kids are older now so I don't always close, but if they have an illness that requires my undivided attention, I do.
Unregistered 10:14 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
In my state I would have had to close if I didn't have a back up care giver for my child. I did close when my kids were little and don't regret it for one moment.
My kids are older now so I don't always close, but if they have an illness that requires my undivided attention, I do.
I regret not closing :-( I just want to cuddle with him and not deal with the fussiest dck on planet. I must have been half asleep this morning when I made the decision to keep the daycare open! Totally never doing this again!
JackandJill 10:18 AM 08-04-2016
I have done that before, stayed open when I probably should have closed.

My news years resolution this year was to put my wants/need about my daycare families, and so now I close when one of my boys are sick. I'm sure some parents get annoyed, but that isn't going to stress me out anymore. Now when I interview I stress how important back up care is. As a result all my newer families are much more flexible!

Hope your little guy is feeling better
Reply Up