Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Managing Daycare While Own Kids Are in School
Indoorvoice 12:11 PM 09-02-2016
My oldest dd starts Kinder on Tues. I'm so stressed about how this will work with the daycare kids as I have to be out at the bus stop for bus drop offs and pick ups. What are your best tips for getting my own kid off to school while managing morning drop offs and vice versa in the afternoon when they come home? She will be leaving and coming home during my busiest parts of the day and I'm so worried she won't get what she needs from me.
Snowmom 12:35 PM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
My oldest dd starts Kinder on Tues. I'm so stressed about how this will work with the daycare kids as I have to be out at the bus stop for bus drop offs and pick ups. What are your best tips for getting my own kid off to school while managing morning drop offs and vice versa in the afternoon when they come home? She will be leaving and coming home during my busiest parts of the day and I'm so worried she won't get what she needs from me.
Did you take the day off? I had to when my first went to Kinder- I cried all day!

I have a NO DROP OFF policy at bus time. When I implemented it, I sold it by stating "for safety reasons, my focus needs to be 100% on the children at this time. Therefore no drop offs will be allowed between X-X"

I had a few who pulled into my driveway at bus time (the stop is at the end of my driveway) and I shook my head no and gestured for her to leave.

In some cases, you can call the bus company and have the stop moved closer- I did.

I usually have a snack ready for my school agers when they get off the bus. They come in, drop their stuff and head to the table. My daughter prefers some alone time, so she heads up to our living room to decompress.

Good luck!
childcaremom 02:38 PM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Did you take the day off? I had to when my first went to Kinder- I cried all day!

I have a NO DROP OFF policy at bus time. When I implemented it, I sold it by stating "for safety reasons, my focus needs to be 100% on the children at this time. Therefore no drop offs will be allowed between X-X"

I had a few who pulled into my driveway at bus time (the stop is at the end of my driveway) and I shook my head no and gestured for her to leave.

In some cases, you can call the bus company and have the stop moved closer- I did.

I usually have a snack ready for my school agers when they get off the bus. They come in, drop their stuff and head to the table. My daughter prefers some alone time, so she heads up to our living room to decompress.

Good luck!

Thankfully I don't have to stand at the bus stop but I don't have any arrivals for a 15 min window centred around the bus coming. That way my dd can get dressed and out the door without interruption so she doesn't miss the bus.

I also have switched up my nap times slightly to accomodate my kids coming home after school. I have their snack ready on the table and I have a few mins to chat and focus on them before the regular daily chaos resumes.

When I had to get out the door, I just adjusted the daily schedule around when I needed to get in and out of the house. Earlier naps, snack after everyone was picked up, etc. I just did what I needed to do.
Indoorvoice 03:05 PM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

Good luck!
No I didn't take it off! I contemplated it but I have a teacher family so it's her first day back too and I felt bad. Luckily my husband will be there on the first day to pick up my slack in the morning but I'm on my own in the afternoon.

All of my families are scheduled to drop off 45 minutes before her bus arrives, as long as they are on time I think I can throw breakfast on the table and get her out the door. However, even though times are contracted they have no problem being late without telling me so perhaps I need to clear that up. The bus stop is right next door though so we should be good there.

I think I'm going to move my snack time to a half hour later so everyone can just have snack right when she gets off the bus, but this only leaves me 20 minutes or so before first pick up and sometimes the parents come earlier than their contracted time so sometimes kids might go without snack. Do you think that's a big deal? I'm worried parents are going to be upset that I'm catering my program around my own child.
Scout 03:57 PM 09-02-2016
My driveway is our bus stop and my youngest son began Kindy 2 weeks ago. I just take all the kids out with me and whomever drops off stays outside with me, but, that's only one. I usually have 3 dck with me and some days 4. It has worked out good so far.

In the afternoon, I ended up shortening the end of nap from 3 to 2:30 so everyone can go to the bathroom and then we go wait outside. Now, he gets on the bus and smiles and waves at us! By day 2, my son was completely fine. Is there an older sibling with her?
Reply Up