Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sibling Discounts
sammie 09:16 AM 05-03-2017
So, I currently offer a small sibling discount. I am in the process of update handbook/contracts and want to make a few changes. For those families that receive a sibling discount I want to place some restrictions:
- children must be picked up by 5pm (my normal closing time is 5:30)
- if one child is staying home for any reason, the other must stay home also
- if one child is picked up early, the other child must leave also

Thoughts?? Does anyone have something similar? Anything else you think would be good to add? Also, what is a good way to word this in the handbook?

Thanks for your help!!
Blackcat31 09:21 AM 05-03-2017
Originally Posted by sammie:
So, I currently offer a small sibling discount. I am in the process of update handbook/contracts and want to make a few changes. For those families that receive a sibling discount I want to place some restrictions:
- children must be picked up by 5pm (my normal closing time is 5:30)
- if one child is staying home for any reason, the other must stay home also
- if one child is picked up early, the other child must leave also

Thoughts?? Does anyone have something similar? Anything else you think would be good to add? Also, what is a good way to word this in the handbook?

Thanks for your help!!
Here siblings do not receive discounted care so they do not receive discounted rates but if you are going to offer them, I'd absolutely have restrictions on them.

I like hte ones you listed but I'd also add that the discount is for the OLDEST child and ONLY when BOTH kids are in attendance. Otherwise the parent expects to pay the cheapest rate when one ages out of your program or only one attends.

Other threads on sibling discounts https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...bling+discount
JackandJill 09:35 AM 05-03-2017
I would make sure the discount applies to the older child. I would also make sure that since you are discounting care, there are no unpaid/sick days available to the family (you may already do this), especially with the sick sibling policy.

I could see parents trying to argue when one child is sick and the other isn't allowed to attend the daycare that they shouldn't have to pay.

I would also take a larger deposit and add in a longer notice period. It's hard enough to fill a spot when one child leaves, imagine filling 2+ in the standard two week notice period?
thrivingchildcarecom 09:36 AM 05-03-2017
I wonder if you should make the sibling discount an addendum to the contract. The reason I say that is so that when you do make changes you don't have to revise your whole Handbook. Also with regard restrictions, I would maybe make an area for them to initial them that they read them.
hwichlaz 09:51 AM 05-03-2017
I don't have any restrictions except that it's the oldest that gets the discount, and only when both kids are in care, and when one stays home sick, they both stay home. Otherwise, I don't expect them to drag both kids to one kid's dr appt etc. I just charge full rate for the one child attending that day.
AmyKidsCo 12:15 PM 05-03-2017
I offer a discount off an older sibling's fees, but only for full time schedules. I don't make both siblings stay home if one is out - I've never had a problem with that so I don't feel the need.
CityGarden 12:16 PM 05-03-2017
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
I wonder if you should make the sibling discount an addendum to the contract. The reason I say that is so that when you do make changes you don't have to revise your whole Handbook. Also with regard restrictions, I would maybe make an area for them to initial them that they read them.
Yes I agree with this. I find the contract is the best place for something like this.

I would suggest yours be something like:

_______DISCOUNT: XYZ Preschool offers a 10% tuition discount for concurrent siblings. For discount to apply:
Put whatever wording you use right into your contract since is deals with money. I will add that I fully see the logic in not offering sibling discounts. A space is the space and your expenses do not go down with taking on siblings. You also risk more because should that family leave it is two spaces to fill.

I consciously decided to offer a sibling discount because my rates are on the high end and I take ample vacations that parents need back up care for. I felt the sibling discount was a small gesture I could afford to make. That said, I do not have any restrictions. If one had a doctors appointment I would be fine with it, etc.
sammie 09:02 AM 05-05-2017
Thanks everyone!! I appreciate your insite and help!
Tags:sibling discount, sibling discounts
Reply Up