Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd?
daycare 02:49 PM 03-22-2011
I have a family with two boys that have been with me for over a year. The parents are expecting their 3rd child in a few months.

I finally got a chance to talk to the mom about what her plans are for when she takes her maternity leave. She said that she plans to have the boys stay in care, but will only have them come two days instead of 3, until she goes back to work. She plans on taking 3 months off.

I asked her what 2 days she was thinking? she said she wanted them back to back and to stay somewhat consistent to what they are now, which is Tue.Wed, Thur.

Their schedule messes up my entire schedule, but has been this way since they have been here.

So here is what I am thinking. I currently have an opening with weird days, mon.tue.fri..... I have not had any bites on it, but have had bites for Mon.wed.fri. So I got to thinking and thought hmmm well maybe I have the boys that are currently here go to Mondays and Tuesday only or Thursdays and Fridays only?? But then I started thinking what will I do when they return?
Since mom is pulling them one day a week I am out money and won't be able to fill the open spot that her kids create. I thought about telling her that I would only hold their spot for a month, or that I can't promise that their spot will be here when they return....I am not too sure what to do. What would you offer in this situation and what would you expect the parent to pay?

I was also a little upset that the mom basically told me well since I am getting a pay cut so are you......Not in those words, but by expecting me to drop one day a week without pay until she goes back to work and expects me to save her current schedule..
MissAnn 03:27 PM 03-22-2011
I try to keep 2 day kids at T TH adn 3 day kids at MWF. It just seems easier to fill those spots. This is the 2nd year in a row that I have 2 brothers that only come 2-3 days a week. I wanted to stop offering part time....but at the time I needed to fill the spot. Sorry.....I don't think I helped....
morgan24 03:30 PM 03-22-2011
Three months is along time to hold that open with out being paid. It's not your fault that she is having another child and will be getting a pay cut. I would tell her that it just won't work for you to hold the space open for 2 without getting paid and if she would like to pay for all 3 days and bring them on any 2 of them or all 3 that would work for you. I always prepare myself that they may move on if they don't like it. Good Luck, hard spot to be in.
daycare 03:34 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Three months is along time to hold that open with out being paid. It's not your fault that she is having another child and will be getting a pay cut. I would tell her that it just won't work for you to hold the space open for 2 without getting paid and if she would like to pay for all 3 days and bring them on any 2 of them or all 3 that would work for you. I always prepare myself that they may move on if they don't like it. Good Luck, hard spot to be in.
yes very hard spot, as I don't want to send them away and the boys are so sweet... I miss them when they are not here... But yes, I don't think that I can offer to hold a spot for this long.

I guess I can tell her its a gamble. I really cant afford to take any more of a pay cut. I am down $2200.00 right now monthly and this would just make matters worse.
momatheart 05:41 PM 03-22-2011
Tell her that with her going down to two days a week means a new contract and that you can not gaurentee her 3 days a week spots will be available when needed.

OR

I would tell her that as of such and such a date your pt time days will be MWF or T,Th. PERIOD. I agree mwf, or T,th are easier to fill than those funky days she has now.

Do you currently have calls that will fill these slots with full time children?

Do you have anything stated in your contract about materinity leave and paying for current childs spot while parent is on maternity leave?
daycare 05:56 PM 03-22-2011
Yes I have calls that will fill the spot if I was able to change the schedule. I am still in the process of rrevising my PHB and at this time the old one that this family signed does not cover leave of absence.

I thought about telling her if she wants to keep her current 3 days of Tue WED TH. the I would charge her for 2.5 days instead of 2 full days. Is that fair?
momatheart 06:16 PM 03-22-2011
I would have her sign a new contract after all she is the one wanting to void the first agreement and wanting a new one.

Or tell her that her sign contract is for 3 days and if she uses only 2 of the 3 days she still has to pay for the third day.
Abigail 06:21 PM 03-22-2011
You should not offer to charge her for 2.5 days instead of 3. This just shows that you are flexible with pay and you shouldn't be. How many spots do you have available right now? Do you expect her third child to be in your care as well? I don't know how large your city is, but if she plans to go back to work after her maternity leave she is going to have a hard time finding a weird schedule of care for three children unless she hires a nanny. Are your rates average, below, or above average for your area?

IF you do have calls for other spots, I would definitely interview and see if they're a good fit for your program. I also would require your current pregnant dcm to pay her regular three day a week and say you don't offer care for only two days a week because it's too hard for the children to follow your routine. It is acceptable to re-write her contract and give her a new handbook with a month's notice. This would be the perfect time to get it done because she may decide to go elsewhere. Three kids is half a home daycare here, so I wouldn't want to lose half the income overnight.
Lucy 06:26 PM 03-22-2011
If you want to keep them, tell HER what days you have open, and then give her a new contract with a higher per-day rate. If you charged $25 per day (per child) for 3 days/week, then charge her $30 per day for 2 days/week. In this example, you would go from receiving $150 a week to $120 a week. That's probably not your rates, but using those amounts for my example.
daycare 06:33 PM 03-22-2011
Great questions... I love yoru questions....lol

I am not 100% sure that I will be taking her 3rd child. If I do, I will haev to hire an asst. which I am not sure I really want to do.
I am in the middle on my prices. Here in a small city next to SF ..rates start at about 225 week up to 325week for toddler rates. This is DC not preschool. I am $250. I have done a ton of research and I am the only one in my small city offering a program like the one I have.

I'm almost in the position right now where I feel like I should just tell them they would be better off getting a nanny. I just don't know how to say it without sounding like I am trying to get rid of them.

Their daycare fees would be over $1775.00 monthly having 4 pay periods....Thats nuts......lol
Lucy 06:39 PM 03-22-2011
Am I confused, or do you mean that you charge $250 per week, PER CHILD? So $50 per day? Is that what you mean? Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just shocked that someone could get that much per day. Must be your area. Or maybe I'm reading this wrong. (That is entirely possible!!!)
daycare 06:43 PM 03-22-2011
It is the area..... right outside San Fran. Where eveything is over priced. Like gas at $4.08 for 87.....

I used to charge $60.00 day for p/t and $50.00 per for full time.
I stopped taking part time kids (these two boys and one other boy who is no longer here) were my only part timers.

Now I charge $250.00 per week. No matter if you come one day or 5 days... its up to you....
MissAnn 03:51 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
It is the area..... right outside San Fran. Where eveything is over priced. Like gas at $4.08 for 87.....

I used to charge $60.00 day for p/t and $50.00 per for full time.
I stopped taking part time kids (these two boys and one other boy who is no longer here) were my only part timers.

Now I charge $250.00 per week. No matter if you come one day or 5 days... its up to you....
Wow! I'm in Tn and I charge $100 per week for full time. I live in a small town and this is the going rate.
SandeeAR 07:04 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Wow! I'm in Tn and I charge $100 per week for full time. I live in a small town and this is the going rate.
I get $125 for a full week in AR. I'm very glad I don't live in CA and have that cost of living!
daycare 07:27 AM 03-23-2011
Well I know that it is expensive here and it is definitely not a place one could survive on a minimum wage job, but for those in a good career the pay is higher than other areas. Example my husband makes (fake numbers) $50.00 an hour at his job, but that same job in Arizona pays $28.00 an hour.
So I think it all levels our in the end.
SandeeAR 07:54 AM 03-23-2011
Well I know that it is expensive here and it is definitely not a place one could survive on a minimum wage job, but for those in a good career the pay is higher than other areas. Example my husband makes (fake numbers) $50.00 an hour at his job, but that same job in Arizona pays $28.00 an hour.
So I think it all levels our in the end.
What would an average 1400 sq ft house rent/sell for?
daycare 10:20 AM 03-23-2011
depends on where it is and how old it is plus others, but i would say that the average
1400 sf house 2.5 bed br 2.0 bath in SF would be any where from $2600-$3500, with no or little yard
SandeeAR 10:39 AM 03-23-2011
depends on where it is and how old it is plus others, but i would say that the average
1400 sf house 2.5 bed br 2.0 bath in SF would be any where from $2600-$3500, with no or little yard
WOW big difference. We are in a 3 bdrm, 1.5 bath, 1400 sf, with a big fence backyard, for $750 a month.
Tags:economy, pay cut, reduced pay
Reply Up