Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Crying Kid, WWYD
jojosmommy 12:58 PM 04-26-2012
I have a daycare kid who is obviously ill. Has had a cold for days, icky nose for two days (which I mentioned two day in s row at dropp off and pick up), and regularly gets ear infections. She was mildly fussy this am but I don't read into that right away, kids will be kids.

The crying started around 11. I make a quick lunch- thinking she might just be hungry. NOPE! Moved nap time up for her a little bit thinking she might just be tired. NOPE! Finally got her to fall asleep at 1pm. Mom texts at 1:30 saying dad is picking up at 3:30 to take her to dr for an ear check. .

About 5 min later (1:35) dck begins the crying again. WWYD? Call and say "she needs to be picked up now" or wait it out?

Everyone is sleeping in the house (a never occurring event). So hours of crying are not working but I feel like a B if I call and say I can't tough it out until 3:30.
snowball 01:00 PM 04-26-2012
I would call. I think the child is too ill to be at your house.
Kiki 01:01 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I have a daycare kid who is obviously ill. Has had a cold for days, icky nose for two days (which I mentioned two day in s row at dropp off and pick up), and regularly gets ear infections. She was mildly fussy this am but I don't read into that right away, kids will be kids.

The crying started around 11. I make a quick lunch- thinking she might just be hungry. NOPE! Moved nap time up for her a little bit thinking she might just be tired. NOPE! Finally got her to fall asleep at 1pm. Mom texts at 1:30 saying dad is picking up at 3:30 to take her to dr for an ear check. .

About 5 min later (1:35) dck begins the crying again. WWYD? Call and say "she needs to be picked up now" or wait it out?

Everyone is sleeping in the house (a never occurring event). So hours of crying are not working but I feel like a B if I call and say I can't tough it out until 3:30.
I don't think you would be a B as you put it. Obviously the child is in pain, and needs to go to the Dr. as soon as possible! Tell them to come and get her!
Christian Mother 01:13 PM 04-26-2012
I agree. i would call and let them know she's really uncomfortable and can't sleep...on and off crying. Best to come and get her asap.
sharlan 04:23 PM 04-26-2012
I would have called the parents to pick up then.
daycare 04:40 PM 04-26-2012

when the mom told you that DCD was coming to pick up DCK, I would have said at that time, you know DCM I was just about to call you and let you know that little Susie has been miserable all morning and crying in pain. I will need for you to come and get her now. Then just stay quiet.....

I know it's too late now..

Also, i have in my policies that if a child is not able to normally participate in all activities, or cries for longer than one hour, for any reason, the parent will be called to come and pick up their child.
Sprouts 04:07 AM 04-27-2012
This is my sick policy, I would. Or have the child stay if they had so many boogers an weren't feeling well. It's not fare to me and the other children who now will be catching the cold because the parents didn't want to keep child home and take care of their own sick child

Wellness Policy Statement of Understanding
Please read wellness policy carefully so we all have the same understanding when it comes to keeping all of our children happy and healthy.
Please initial each statement to recognize understanding

______I agree to notify the day care at drop off of ANY medication given to the child within six hours of the drop off.
______I understand that if my child exhibits any of the following symptoms, I or one of my emergency contacts are required to pick them up within 45 minutes of being notified.
1. Fever 100.0 F or above (please do not give medication before drop off to mask fever or symptoms)
2. Vomiting,
3. Diarrhea,
4. An undetermined body rash,
5. A persistent NON-CLEAR runny nose,
6. Coughing,
7. Extreme changes in usual behavior.*
______I understand that children who have vomited or have diarrhea are not allowed to enter the day care until they are symptom free for a full 24 hours.
______"In certain situations, a medical form must be obtained before your child can be re-admitted into care. These forms require a written diagnosis from the child's physician and must state the following information:
• the diagnosis
• the treatment
• length of recommended exclusion
Re-admission to child care will be at MY discretion. Please do not assume the doctor can give permission for re-admittance.
______I understand that Sprouting Learners does not administer nebulizer or breathing treatments.
_______In case of accidental injury or emergency illness, I will be notified immediately after emergency medical services have been summoned.* Sprouting Learners will not accompany any child to the hospital or physicians office if emergency medical services is enlisted unless there is enough staff.*
There are times when a child may be excluded due to the required amount of care he/she needs when experiencing a common cold or illness. For example, a cough that is disruptive to normal daily activities, when a child is unable to cover his/her mouth while coughing or when the amount of nasal discharge or fluid becomes unmanageable for the provider to continue maintaining a sanitary environment. This will occur at my discretion and will be handled on an individual basis."
Parent Name: ________________________ Signature: ________________
Date: _____________
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. It means a lot to all of us, the children, the staff, and families.
SunshineMama 05:05 AM 04-27-2012
That is my biggest complaint about this job. For one, parents dont even recognize their kids are sick because they drop them off at daycare, leave them all day, and just put them to bed at night.

Then you have the parents who know they their kids are sick (either because they recognize it or because we tell them), and they still bring them.

I have noticed a lot of selfish people who really care about illness...until THEIR kid is ill, then they dont care who they infect.

You should send that kid home, but I know that, since I have a weak backbone, I would keep them for the remainder of the day. I would call for vomiting or diaharrea, but for a cold I would tough it out.

At least it's friday!
littlemissmuffet 06:28 AM 04-27-2012

I'd call, ill or not. Sometimes the contant crying is just too much to handle while dealing with everything else we have to do in a day. In this case, the child is obviously not feeling good. If a child can't participate in daycare normally, they need to be at home with a PARENT.
Reply Up