Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A day in the life..
Binkybobo 05:26 PM 07-07-2013
Could you please help me out and share with me your daily schedule for school age children? I am at a loss.
Thanks in advance.
heyhun77 05:44 PM 07-07-2013
My school age summer schedule is:
7:30 daycare opens (1 of my school agers comes early at 7 but usually reads and just hangs out since he's still waking up)
7:45-8:15 breakfast (when they are done they ask to be excused then brush their teeth then read and/or do their homework drawers)
8:15-9:00 while the infants are napping the school agers have free time (they either read, do their homework drawers or play with the preschoolers). This is when they also get their sunscreen on.
9:00-11:00 outside time (we either go to the playground, a nearby park or play in the backyard- they typically want to either to art or continue their big project in the sandbox during this time but sometimes they bring their book out to keep reading) we also do planned art activities during this time as well as planned science activities
11-11:15 back inside, wash hands get our lunch on the table, get babies to bed or finish feeding the infants
11:15-11:45 lunch (when done they brush their teeth and read for 40 minutes before other activities), preschoolers brush their teeth then have reading time my teenager who is my summer assistant then lay down for nap
11:45-12:30 quiet time (finish up the after lunch stuff, ect)
12:30-2ish nap/quiet time (school agers are expected to be quiet during this time. They read at least 40 minutes and finish up their homework drawers then may go upstairs to my office or in the fenced in yard to play together while everyone else sleeps
2ish-3 preschoolers and infants wake up, bathroom, put away nap items and cots, quiet activities while others are still waking up, books, freeplay
3-3:30 pm afternoon snack (when done they wash hands then get sunscreen on)
3:30-5:30 pm outside free play (pretty much the same as the morning free play except most days we have our swimsuits on and use lots of water to cool off

Homework Drawers: Each school ager has as set of 3 drawers - literacy, math and journal. I put an activity in each drawer daily that they are expected to complete. They are mostly activities that should take 5-15 minutes depending on the child and their level of focus. For the most part it's review of what they learned in school last year but really it's just to keep their minds sharp over the summer so they are ready to learn again in August when they go back to school.

My school year schedule is much simpler since they leave after breakfast and return at snack time. It's pretty much the same routine as in the summer except they are expected to do their homework before play.
coolconfidentme 04:04 AM 07-08-2013
Give them things to be helpful. My SA'r help me with the other kids & at meal time. They love to teach the small children colors & numbers. Friday my 6 & 9 yer old DCGs made banana muffins all by themselves. I just put them in/out or the oven.
Reply Up