Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Else Homeschool?
Oats&Ivy 06:28 AM 01-22-2014
My oldest child is 5. He does not go to kindergarten, and to be honest we don't do much "school" time. We do fun things with the daycare though, of course. But come fall I think we will be kicking it up a notch, and I'm looking into some curriculums for him.

So my question is if anyone else out here does Homeschool and Daycare? If so, how do you do it? While the littles nap? While they're all awake, and involve everyone somehow? My thoughts were to include the kids with what he is doing, albeit a bit simpler, and more toddler friendly version.

Do you have any recommendations on curriculums?

Also, I know this may go in the tax questions sub-forum, but if I purchase a (for example) $200 curriculum and involved the daycare kids in it, would I be able to claim time space %? I imagine so, but correct me if I am wrong.
Cat Herder 06:37 AM 01-22-2014
Online Public School through K-12 (Virtual Academy) was a hit with my kids... It is free, transfers easily, is accepted at all colleges and has a wonderful support network.

I really cannot brag enough on them..... be prepared for the books, workbooks, Teachers Guides and curriculum extras to take up a room in your house, though.

The transferring was really important because I always knew they'd go to brick and mortar for Junior-High School. Academics I could do at home, the social aspects were a tad bit more difficult.

It allowed for volunteer work in the community, travel and a broader range of extra-curriculars. The kids went straight in to Honors-AP classes with a smooth and easy transition. The biggest change for the kids was that in brick and mortar there were not enough books for everyone, they can't even bring them home to study..... In virtual Academy they even supplied the paperback novels, art supplies and computer programing books.

You can go to the website and have your son do sample lessons for free so you can see what a typical day is. 4 hours a day (5 days per week) of class, at any hours, any day per week. It is up to you. It is more kid/teacher led, that adult/parent led.
craftymissbeth 06:41 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Online Public School through K-12 (Virtual Academy) was a hit with my kids... It is free, transfers easily, is accepted at all colleges and has a wonderful support network.

I really cannot brag enough on them.....

The transferring was really important because I always knew they'd go to brick and mortar for Junior-High School. Academics I could do at home, the social aspects were a tab bit more difficult.
This is what we're looking into for our 7 yo who will be in 2nd grade next year. The school that we'll use through k12 will send us all of the textbooks and a laptop and printer for $100. I think it will be a great start for us. He also may choose to go back to a brick & mortar school in the future and the transfer should be pretty simple.
Cat Herder 06:52 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
This is what we're looking into for our 7 yo who will be in 2nd grade next year. The school that we'll use through k12 will send us all of the textbooks and a laptop and printer for $100. I think it will be a great start for us. He also may choose to go back to a brick & mortar school in the future and the transfer should be pretty simple.
Cool!!! We did not qualify for the computer, that was our only expense.... but they really did keep us well supplied.

I will never understand how they can keep Virtual kids so well supplied with the exact same funding per student as the brick and mortars. We had 3 teachers assigned to us, they made house calls and attended the field trips so that is not where the funds are cut to my knowledge...
originalkat 10:13 AM 01-22-2014
We homeschool (1st and 3rd grader)!
I use All About Reading for reading instruction and CLE for Math. Next year we may be switching to Teaching Textbooks for math though which they can do on the computer with little instruction from me.

We do a lot during naptime, but the girls also do independent work in the mornings as well.
Oats&Ivy 03:08 PM 01-24-2014
Yeah, see k12 is common core right? I'm looking more into Waldorf education, which can be pricey for a homeschool boxed curriculum. I think around 300-400 a year. Which is why I was wondering if anyone has integrated the curriculum with their daycare children.
AmyLeigh 04:06 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Oats&Ivy:
Yeah, see k12 is common core right? I'm looking more into Waldorf education, which can be pricey for a homeschool boxed curriculum. I think around 300-400 a year. Which is why I was wondering if anyone has integrated the curriculum with their daycare children.
K12 is common core. I used to use it until the school became too "school-ish" for my family's needs. We wanted the freedom that came with homeschooling, not a state school-at-home program.
If you are watching the costs, can you choose just a couple of subjects to purchase (for example, Math and Reading) and then do the rest on your own? I don't know a lot about Waldorf, but it has a lot of outdoors, gardening, and art/crafts, right? You can incorporate a lot of other subjects within just those. Math, science, history, literature all can be discussed/taught that way.
Kindy work should only take about an hour above and beyond what you already do with your littles, if even that. It can be done during nap time, or break it up throughout the day and early evening. Don't forget that there are teachable moments on the weekends, too!
misslori50 10:07 AM 01-28-2014
Yes we do the last two years we have used time4learning.com
Meyou 10:19 AM 01-28-2014
We use timeforlearning.com as well.
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up