Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Sleep Problem I Have Never Had Before
jenboo 01:10 PM 02-10-2017
DCB is 14 months. He comes 4 days a week and has been here 3 weeks. He doesn't sleep well at home.
3 weeks in, I have always seem some type of improvement with naps but not with this little guy. We have had zero progress. I have never not been able to get a kid to nap.

DCB starts freaking out about 10 minutes before nap when I'm changing diapers. Then I lay him down and he screams and then falls asleep for about 15 min, maybe 30 on a good day. Then he wakes up and is hysterical the rest of nap time. He will day down and will start to doze off. As soon as his eyes are closed for 30 sec he starts screaming again. Rinse and repeat the rest of nap time. One day he actually slept an hour so I though we were making progress but it hasnt happened since.

He is in his own room. Its dark with white noise. I have tried sitting next to him the whole time and I've tried leaving him the whole time. He is the last to go down and first to get up so that he can see everyone else sleeping.

Is there anything else I can do that I haven't though of? Everyone else sleeps 2-3hrs each day.
childcaremom 01:31 PM 02-10-2017

No advice but I will commiserate with you. This sleep behaviour is ALL I see lately.
Mom2Two 01:34 PM 02-10-2017
I swear, so many "sleep problem" posts start with "Dck is 14 months old." It makes me want to avoid 14 month olds!!!
jenboo 01:53 PM 02-10-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I swear, so many "sleep problem" posts start with "Dck is 14 months old." It makes me want to avoid 14 month olds!!!

My other 14 month olds sleep great!
jenboo 01:54 PM 02-10-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

No advice but I will commiserate with you. This sleep behaviour is ALL I see lately.
All my other kids sleep great within a couple weeks. They sleep like this at home, but not with me
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:49 PM 02-10-2017
You could try a weighted blanket, or weighted lovey. (I cut the corner out of a lovey, added rice and sewn shut) I've had this issue with my co-sleepers (at home) who were adjusting to napping here alone. Also a warm towel or blanket from the dryer, something to simulate another body in the bed. Eventually transition to not using anything. Also lots of rinse and repeat and patience.
jenboo 02:50 PM 02-10-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
You could try a weighted blanket, or weighted lovey. (I cut the corner out of a lovey, added rice and sewn shut) I've had this issue with my co-sleepers (at home) who were adjusting to napping here alone. Also a warm towel or blanket from the dryer, something to simulate another body in the bed. Eventually transition to not using anything. Also lots of rinse and repeat and patience.
I can try some of those. He doesn't Co sleep at home though. He is in his own room in a crib at home as well.
Play Care 03:09 PM 02-10-2017
When I had kiddos like this (same age) They had TV's in their rooms and would only sleep with it on.
If that's not it, it may be he doesn't need the sleep? My own kiddos dropped naps early on, but they got a great sleep at night.
Ariana 03:14 PM 02-10-2017
Immediately I am thinking some sort of physical issue if it is happening at home and at your place consistantly with zero improvement. He seems tired enough to fall asleep but then gets woken up by something. Kids usually wake up at the 20-30minute mark but if left they will eventually fall back to sleep and then sleep through that period with training (which it sounds like you did/are doing).

Does he have reflux issues? Or anything else you can pinpoint?
jenboo 03:35 PM 02-10-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Immediately I am thinking some sort of physical issue if it is happening at home and at your place consistantly with zero improvement. He seems tired enough to fall asleep but then gets woken up by something. Kids usually wake up at the 20-30minute mark but if left they will eventually fall back to sleep and then sleep through that period with training (which it sounds like you did/are doing).

Does he have reflux issues? Or anything else you can pinpoint?

Nothing that i can think of. He ended up falling asleep for 45 min after fighting it for 2hrs.
He is happy all day minus nap time.
heyhun77 06:56 AM 02-12-2017
At that age it is possible that he is overtired by the time the rest of the kids are napping. He may need a nap in the morning still. If he isn't sleeping well at night a morning nap right after breakfast may help him nap after lunch.
midaycare 07:32 AM 02-12-2017
How about putting him with others? I had one who did this until I brought him with others.
daycare 08:08 AM 02-12-2017
I don't have Dcks that young but my thought was still needing two naps.???

Is it possible for the child to nap after breakfast?
jenboo 02:00 PM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
How about putting him with others? I had one who did this until I brought him with others.
I tried and he still screamed. It was too stressful trying to keep him quiet while the others napped.

Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't have Dcks that young but my thought was still needing two naps.???

Is it possible for the child to nap after breakfast?
He arrives around 915 and nap is at noon. What time would you do a morning nap? I'll try it this week.
daycare 03:20 PM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I tried and he still screamed. It was too stressful trying to keep him quiet while the others napped.

He arrives around 915 and nap is at noon. What time would you do a morning nap? I'll try it this week.
That's not a big window is it???
What times does the child wake? Maybe finding out his bed time and wake time from parents at home.
I have a 2.5 year old that lays down as soon as she arrives at 7:30 and sleeps until breakfast at 8:30. She gets up at 4:45am every morning and would never make it to 12:30. I didn't know why she was freaked by out at nap time every day until I asked parents about her sleep schedule at home. She is not a good sleeper at her home but once I started the two naps, she sleeps perfectly for me.
jenboo 07:17 PM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
That's not a big window is it???
What times does the child wake? Maybe finding out his bed time and wake time from parents at home.
I have a 2.5 year old that lays down as soon as she arrives at 7:30 and sleeps until breakfast at 8:30. She gets up at 4:45am every morning and would never make it to 12:30. I didn't know why she was freaked by out at nap time every day until I asked parents about her sleep schedule at home. She is not a good sleeper at her home but once I started the two naps, she sleeps perfectly for me.
He goes to bed around 830 and wakes up around 730-8am. Some nights he wakes up 3-5 times. I'm not sure how long he is up for each time
daycare 07:27 PM 02-12-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
He goes to bed around 830 and wakes up around 730-8am. Some nights he wakes up 3-5 times. I'm not sure how long he is up for each time
Wonder how the kid functions. That's not a lot of sleep for a child of that age. So many factors.
I have a parent that lets her 2year old turn the tv on in the middle of the night when he wakes up and will watch tv in his room from like 2-4am. She sees nothing wrong with it. She said she has no other choice. Parents have to get up and work the next day. I have sent the kid home at least once or twice a week because they fall asleep because he falls asleep at the breakfast table or right after.

Maybe find out what is going on during his waking hours. Are the parents feeding him? Letting him get up and play ??

Kid sounds overly tired.
Tags:nap, nap time, napping
Reply Up