Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Policy Payment
Itsummsarah 04:19 PM 12-05-2018
I have a common sense sick policy, I enforce it on all parents. However, I do have my own child here with me who is sick. her grandma comes and picks her up before kids get here, and drops her off after hours. so shes not here when the kids are pretty much. well i have one parent whose kid has gotten sick, and she is blaming my kid for getting him sick. which i know is crazy because there is no way to pinpoint where, or when either of them had gotten sick. So her issue is that she still has to pay for daycare even though he got sick here by my kid who lives here.
i just want to get some opinions on this, if im in the wrong for making her pay. is my child to blame for this?

it really seems like they both just got sick over the weekend because they were both fine for the week and then all of a sudden its this bad croup cough issue.
Jupadia 04:30 PM 12-05-2018
I also ship my own kids off to there nanas when sick. My husband will drop them off and pick them up. Daycare in the basment so even if they have not left they don't come into contact. I charge parents for the slot not time used. So parents pay if kids not here sick or not. The kids have gotten sick at same time but since most things are contagious before symptoms show there is no way to pin point who made who sick .

Just stick with your policy.
Ariana 04:50 PM 12-05-2018
What the heck?! Sorry mom but that is part of home daycare...my kids are HOME and your kid is also here!! Some people are ridiculous. What does she expect you to do?

Let her know that if she does not pay you will consider it her two weeks notice. I personally would term her on the spot for that sort of utter disrespect.
Itsummsarah 05:08 PM 12-05-2018
she doesnt want to pay for the days he miss because he got sick here, and she doesnt think its fair.
ive had her kid for 4 years, ive accommodated so much for her too. it sucks that this is the payback I get.

she said shes going to look for another daycare, something I've heard from her before. KINDA hoping she just takes him out, and if she really pushes the issue about payment I probably will just terminate her contract.
littlefriends 05:14 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
What the heck?! Sorry mom but that is part of home daycare...my kids are HOME and your kid is also here!! Some people are ridiculous. What does she expect you to do?

Let her know that if she does not pay you will consider it her two weeks notice. I personally would term her on the spot for that sort of utter disrespect.
This! The ONLY time parents don’t pay is if I close due to my own personal sickness. If daycare is open you pay regardless of why you didn’t come.
littlefriends 05:17 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Itsummsarah:
she doesnt want to pay for the days he miss because he got sick here, and she doesnt think its fair.
ive had her kid for 4 years, ive accommodated so much for her too. it sucks that this is the payback I get.

she said shes going to look for another daycare, something I've heard from her before. KINDA hoping she just takes him out, and if she really pushes the issue about payment I probably will just terminate her contract.
I’m not even kidding the second she threatened to find another daycare I would have walked over and handed her her child’s cubby basket and said good luck with your search!
MarinaVanessa 05:39 PM 12-05-2018
she said shes going to look for another daycare, something I've heard from her before.
"You mentioned looking for another daycare and you've mentioned it before as well. It really seems like my daycare doesn't meet your needs. Here's a two-week notice, I don't think we're a good fit. I'm sure you'll be able to find something that's better suited for your needs"

I wouldn't allow anyone to throw that around at me. She's threatening to scare you into doing what she wants for fear of losing her income. Bye girl
Blackcat31 06:42 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
"You mentioned looking for another daycare and you've mentioned it before as well. It really seems like my daycare doesn't meet your needs. Here's a two-week notice, I don't think we're a good fit. I'm sure you'll be able to find something that's better suited for your needs"

I wouldn't allow anyone to throw that around at me. She's threatening to scare you into doing what she wants for fear of losing her income. Bye girl

Never allow a family to hold you financially hostage

Your self-worth and self respect are worth more than her money
amberrose3dg 04:09 AM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Never allow a family to hold you financially hostage

Your self-worth and self respect are worth more than her money
All of this!
Gemma 04:14 AM 12-06-2018

This ^^^
DaveA 04:21 AM 12-06-2018

This. I'm not putting up with that in my business.
Cat Herder 04:24 AM 12-06-2018
she doesnt think its fair.

ive accommodated so much for her too.
Life is not fair. Never was, never will be. Welcome to adulthood, DCM.

Unfortunately, it seems the more we bend for some families the worse their behavior gets. They won't see anything as a gift, only an entitlement.

I was just reading online complaints about Toys for Tots from people who applied for toys for their own children and felt "cheap" $10 toys were beneath them. A few stated they threw them away. It was an eye-opening experience. Some people are simply takers and live a one-way life.
Firefly 06:27 AM 12-06-2018
I still charge if a child is sick and doesn’t come to daycare no matter how they got sick. And many times I’m sure it was one of my daycare kids that got me sick and then I had to close without pay.
LittleExplorers 06:37 AM 12-06-2018
Is it possible your kiddo get theirs sick, sure. Does that matter? NO

She signed your contract. If you have bent your rules for her before, she will keep trying. I would ask if she plans to give notice since she doesn't like your rules.

Start looking to replace her kids and give her notice. I don't deal with drama.
CountryRoads 06:43 AM 12-06-2018
A couple of my daycare parents like to blame my daycare, too!
"I think my child got whatever so and so has..."
"My child started coughing, is anyone here sick?"
"Hopefully they don't start dropping like flies!"

I just try to remind them that germs are EVERYWHERE - not just in my daycare.
I would still charge. That's the contract they signed - if I'm open, then they pay. It's shocking that she would even bring that up.
Snowmom 07:22 AM 12-06-2018

she said shes going to look for another daycare, something I've heard from her before.
Take her at her word.

Write up a formal letter stating her last day of care (in your contract notice period) and hand it to her asap. She said she was leaving, so make her!

I would never put up with this adult tantrum, because THAT'S WHAT IT IS. "I didn't get my way, so wha, wha, wha, if you don't let me X, I'm going to leave."
Mike 07:45 AM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Take her at her word.

Write up a formal letter stating her last day of care (in your contract notice period) and hand it to her asap. She said she was leaving, so make her!

I would never put up with this adult tantrum, because THAT'S WHAT IT IS. "I didn't get my way, so wha, wha, wha, if you don't let me X, I'm going to leave."

Termination time. Whatever time the contract says you are required to give, that's how long she has to find a replacement. If your terms allow you to terminate on the spot, that's what I would do.
MarinaVanessa 08:42 AM 12-06-2018
Curious to know if you've talked to her again about this or if she's said anything more. Any updates?
Tags:inhome daycare, sick policy, sick policy - provider children
Reply Up