Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would it bother you if?
Unregistered 11:08 AM 08-26-2014
Would it bother you if a parent came in your daycare while you were out on a walk with the kids and used the bathroom? My bathroom is off the kitchen so this parent had to walk through the WHOLE house and kitchen to get to the bathroom.

I'm going to start locking the doors when I go on walks with the kids.
sahm1225 11:10 AM 08-26-2014
Yes it would bother me. But as a parent, I would also worry about the safety of my child during the day because the provider leaves the door unlocked. That's mostly because where I live, you just don't leave your door unlocked!
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Would it bother you if a parent came in your daycare while you were out on a walk with the kids and used the bathroom? My bathroom is off the kitchen so this parent had to walk through the WHOLE house and kitchen to get to the bathroom.

I'm going to start locking the doors when I go on walks with the kids.
I would lock the door when I left because it would bother me if a parent did that.

Did you say anything to the parent about how disrespectful it is?
coolconfidentme 11:16 AM 08-26-2014
Why would she ever think that was ok? People never cease to amaze me.
Shell 11:19 AM 08-26-2014
Yes, that would bother me. I trust my dc parents, but they need to ask to use my bathroom, not just use my potty like a public toilet. Oh, and because I have OCD specific to bathroom issues, I would be freaking out about what they were doing in there/ germs, and not use the bathroom until I had time to fully disinfect
sharlan 11:29 AM 08-26-2014
No, it wouldn't bother me.

I've come home to find daycare parents sitting on my sofa waiting for us to come home. Things like that don't bother me.
DaveA 11:30 AM 08-26-2014
It wouldn't bother me, but the kid's bathroom is right off the hallway with the classroom, so they wouldn't have to walk through the whole house. I can see why it would be bothersome, just not something that would worry me.
melilley 11:34 AM 08-26-2014
Depends on the parent.
llpa 11:36 AM 08-26-2014
It would definitely bug me, partly because it IS disrespectful and just because she pays me to watch her child, she has no right to pee in my bathroom or watch my tv or raid my fridge etcetcetc evidently I am more territorial than I thought
drseuss 11:37 AM 08-26-2014
That would not bother me.
drseuss 11:38 AM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
It wouldn't bother me, but the kid's bathroom is right off the hallway with the classroom, so they wouldn't have to walk through the whole house. I can see why it would be bothersome, just not something that would worry me.
That was my train of thought too.
KiddieCahoots 11:44 AM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Depends on the parent.
........LOL!!!

I could honestly see some parents snooping while we were walking. Not that they'd find much, but still.....
nannyde 12:04 PM 08-26-2014
That would NEVER happen. I don't allow entry into my home without me opening the door. They wouldn't dream of trying that.
BrooklynM 12:11 PM 08-26-2014
That would totally bother me. However, I grew up with families that never locked their doors and would just go in each others houses to use the bathroom if they were on that side of the town. My family wasn't that way but I knew a lot of people that way. Maybe that was their frame of mind?
daycare 12:12 PM 08-26-2014
an unlocked door does not give right of passage.

two places it is never ok to enter even if unlocked is my house and my car.

I would be very very very mad and telling that person how mad I am. I would also lock my doors from now on.

That was not ok. she could haVe called you and asked you to come back or if it was ok.
Controlled Chaos 12:28 PM 08-26-2014
Parents knock to announce their presence and then enter during business hours. If we were out there would be a note on my door with the time we left and expected to be back. I would leave it unlocked if I was expecting to return right around a pick up. I would be fine with a parent waiting on my couch and/or using the restroom. Not a big deal. They trust me with their children and I trust them in my home.

That said, I did have one parent needing the restroom EVERY day at drop off. I put a stop to that, as it was disruptive to my family who were trying to get ready for the day.
Second Home 12:38 PM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Yes it would bother me. But as a parent, I would also worry about the safety of my child during the day because the provider leaves the door unlocked. That's mostly because where I live, you just don't leave your door unlocked!
In some states you are not allowed to lock your door during daycare hours . You must have 2 unlocked exits for dck to use in MD.
jenboo 02:10 PM 08-26-2014
Wouldn't bother me.
They could snoop around my bedroom if they really wanted to. I don't care.
midaycare 04:22 PM 08-26-2014
It wouldn't bother me but my dcp's wouldn't dare do it.
lynne 06:10 PM 08-26-2014
That would totally bother me, My house is my house and please ask before coming in!
AmyKidsCo 06:32 PM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
In some states you are not allowed to lock your door during daycare hours . You must have 2 unlocked exits for dck to use in MD.
Even if no-one is home? I'm glad we don't have that here - I always keep the front and side doors locked so no-one sneaks in when I'm busy with the kiddos.

And it would totally bother me if someone used my bathroom while I was gone!
Mister Sir Husband 06:57 PM 08-26-2014
My neighborhood isn't bad at all, and I'm quite sure lots of people around me leave doors unlocked often. Not me. I used to live in some areas that people wouldn't even visit me after dark for fear of being mugged, so mine are always locked all the time.
momofboys 05:38 AM 08-27-2014
What if you leave with the kids? IMO that puts your home & the DCK at risk if you leave & an intruder could enter. Not to mention you put your valuables at risk for burglary.
momofboys 05:39 AM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Even if no-one is home? I'm glad we don't have that here - I always keep the front and side doors locked so no-one sneaks in when I'm busy with the kiddos.

And it would totally bother me if someone used my bathroom while I was gone!
I didn't see your response but ITA!
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 08-27-2014
Most exterior doors are lockable from the inside so no one from the outside can enter but the lock is still operable from the inside, thus not hindering exit.
TheGoodLife 08:08 AM 08-27-2014
I would be extremely upset! This may be a home daycare, but it is first and foremost my HOME. I don't walk into other people's homes and I sure expect people to knock. I keep my doors locked, but sometimes I forget to lock it behind a parent. I've had one DCD just walk in before (he was not even a usual pick up person, so he wasn't used to being here). I didn't say anything, but I made sure to check the lock. To me, it's common courtesy. When I used a home daycare, I was told to just walk in- I'd still knock first and pause, just because that's what felt right to me!
Play Care 09:33 AM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by momofboys:
What if you leave with the kids? IMO that puts your home & the DCK at risk if you leave & an intruder could enter. Not to mention you put your valuables at risk for burglary.
I'd be locking my doors and taking the "ding" on my record if and when I got caught.
It would bother me if a parent came in and "helped themselves" to my home. I had a parent walk right in on a Saturday while I was hosting my dd's birthday party. Put and end to that quick!
Meeko 09:43 AM 08-27-2014
It's not just the "help themselves to the bathroom" I would worry about.

It would be the "help themselves" from every other part of my house I would worry about more.
Josiegirl 03:17 PM 08-27-2014
Unfortunately my only bathroom is situated right between 2 bedrooms, stupid layout but have never had the money to change it around. I have found a lot of dcps are not comfortable asking to use my bathroom. One day a dcm kept trying to hurry her 2 kids out and she finally said 'come on, I have to go home and use the bathroom'. I told her she was welcome to use mine. It's one thing if they ask or you offer but to just assume it's okay, walk in when you're not there and use it, that's entirely different.
I remember several years ago we were all out in the backyard playing and a former dcm came out with her dd(was dropping off way after breakfast time), she must've been about 3-4 yo then. Now *she* was one you'd definitely call a 'special snowflake'. Dd was eating a banana. Dcm said 'I hope you don't mind, dcg didn't want breakfast at home so we grabbed a banana off your shelf'. Now THAT irked me. But this was a dcm who continually irritated me and the day she gave notice to go to a dc that had girls there for her dd to play with, was the day I partied big.
Reply Up