Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Wanna Eat! I Wanna Eat! I Wanna Eat!
midaycare 06:54 PM 10-02-2014
Help!!! I have a dcg, 2.5, who always wants food. Dcm claims she only eats healthy at home - but let me tell you, dcg won't eat any of my healthy food and only asks for crackers, chips, cake, etc.

Anyway ... We will just get done with snack or lunch and dcg is already screaming, "I wanna eat! I wanna eat!" And I can't ignore it. It's over and over and over again. Then everyone gets going and decides they are hungry. Even if dcg did eat well (rare, but happened today), 5 minutes after lunch she was screaming for food.

I tell her it's not time to eat. Have rinsed and repeated for the past 2 months (time she has been here). I can't take it anymore!
daycare 07:10 PM 10-02-2014
How much does she eat when she actually consumes some food?

I would be making sure she is eating enough at meal times.

I serve veggie first. You don't get next item. Until veggie is gone.

Then protein grain and fruit is last.

You can have milk when you are done.

Maybe she won't be so hungry in between meals.
coolconfidentme 03:44 AM 10-03-2014
Giver her a consequence for it. When a DCK does that I say, "This tells me when we eat..." (pointing to the posted menu.) "...not this!" (pointing to her mouth.) "If you continue to be rude saying it over & over, you can have a timeout." It works here.
midaycare 03:52 AM 10-03-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
How much does she eat when she actually consumes some food?

I would be making sure she is eating enough at meal times.

I serve veggie first. You don't get next item. Until veggie is gone.

Then protein grain and fruit is last.

You can have milk when you are done.

Maybe she won't be so hungry in between meals.
That will not work with her. If she doesn't like what I'm serving, she will not eat. Period. Some of this is her problem but she is also a little bit overweight.
midaycare 05:04 AM 10-03-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Giver her a consequence for it. When a DCK does that I say, "This tells me when we eat..." (pointing to the posted menu.) "...not this!" (pointing to her mouth.) "If you continue to be rude saying it over & over, you can have a timeout." It works here.
I may try this today, although I don't have a posted menu for the kids to see. I have an online menu for the parents only. I will have to think about that ...
coolconfidentme 05:22 AM 10-03-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I may try this today, although I don't have a posted menu for the kids to see. I have an online menu for the parents only. I will have to think about that ...
Point to a piece of paper, she can't read, lol. If she doesn't eat what you serve, also say, "Maybe you should eat at meal time & you wouldn't be hungry." If she says she doesn't like it say, "It's your choice not to like it.".., & walk away. I don't get into a debate with kids. It's eat or go hungry..., the choice is yours.
Blackcat31 05:29 AM 10-03-2014
What's the difference if she is saying she wants to eat or go outside or not take a nap or go home?

Doesn't matter what phrase she is repeating, if it isn't time to do what she wants, then it's time to "go play!"

That's the ONLY response she would get from me.

I think because it involves food and her not eating during regular meal times, you are giving her request way too much attention and thought.

Imagine if she said "I wanna stay up" at nap time?
or
"I wanna go outside" when it's not outside time?
or
"I wanna go home" when its not pick up time?
or
"I want it to be Monday" when it's not?

See? Its just words. She is getting a reaction for them.

Give her none. Stick to your routine and when it isn't time to eat, tell her "Go play" or simply repeat back to her exactly what she is saying to you.

Take the meaning out of her repeated phrase.

It takes her perceived power away. Now "Go play!"
midaycare 05:47 AM 10-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What's the difference if she is saying she wants to eat or go outside or not take a nap or go home?

Doesn't matter what phrase she is repeating, if it isn't time to do what she wants, then it's time to "go play!"

That's the ONLY response she would get from me.

I think because it involves food and her not eating during regular meal times, you are giving her request way too much attention and thought.

Imagine if she said "I wanna stay up" at nap time?
or
"I wanna go outside" when it's not outside time?
or
"I wanna go home" when its not pick up time?
or
"I want it to be Monday" when it's not?

See? Its just words. She is getting a reaction for them.

Give her none. Stick to your routine and when it isn't time to eat, tell her "Go play" or simply repeat back to her exactly what she is saying to you.

Take the meaning out of her repeated phrase.

It takes her perceived power away. Now "Go play!"
I will have to think on this. You may be very right.
craftymissbeth 06:32 AM 10-03-2014
I agree with BC... "Go play toys" has kept me from pulling my hair out for the last year and a half. I just say it out of habit now. It really applies to everything. My kids know to just turn around and walk away from whatever it is they're doing if I say it.
Unregistered 09:49 AM 10-08-2014
I had a family of 4 kids like this. They wouldn't eat anything I put in front of them unless it was junk food. I started with veggies after that was ate then fruit then the main meal with only one glass of milk. If they wanted more to drink then they had water. After a couple weeks of being hungry they started eating. Then it started with 5 minutes after done eating they wanted a snack. I told them if they are still hungry they should have ate more of their meal because snack isn't for another couple hours. They could have water until snack time. Every time they asked I would just repeat they should have ate more at meal time. Soon they stopped asking for snacks. Also their parents would bring them after breakfast some times and they all would show up with gas station donuts and bug juice. I would take this away and give them a small bowl of cereal as it was 10 am and we eat lunch at noon.
Reply Up