Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has Anyone Experienced This?
tenderhearts 04:14 PM 06-05-2018
I have a 3 1/2 yr old dcb who has been doing speech therapy. He has been doing this probably over a year and has had slow progress. They want ESD to come into my home and "observe" I actually don't know what they do but they watch him interact. Has anyone ever done this and what does this entail? I'm concerned because any time I have visitors come to my daycare it turns the group upside down, it becomes almost uncontrollable I think it's the varying ages but that is my biggest concern doing this, also how long do they stay? Thanks
lblanke 04:43 PM 06-05-2018
It is ok to respectfully decline. Mom and dad can put on their big girl panties and big boy underwear and find out a way to make it happen on their watch. You are in group care. You may have privacy concerns regarding the other children. Someone who has not been background checked may not be allowed in your daycare.You may not want the liability of having someone else in your home and business.
rosieteddy 04:52 PM 06-05-2018
I also would not have done that.My group totally lost it when visitors showed up.I only let parents visit when we were outside as the wider space seemed more manageable.
Blackcat31 06:47 PM 06-05-2018
Other threads about therapist observations

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=therapist
AnythingsPossible 07:29 AM 06-06-2018
I have had this done at my facility and other than the first few minutes where everyone wondered why she was there, it wasn't an issue. She came in and sat at the table and appeared to be doing paperwork while observing the child she was there for. I have also had therapists in our home many times over the years to provide services for children and I just make sure that I have an activity planned for the other kids while the other gets therapy. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but everyone has their own comfort levels so go with what you feel best with, from my experience it wasn't anything to be concerned with.
hwichlaz 07:35 AM 06-06-2018
It’s necessary to see him in his regular daily environment interacting with his peers to get a full assessment. They’ll observe and take notes.

It’s you’re right to decline the intrusion, but if he’s going to need more of these in the future, it could mean losing the child to a more inclusive provider.
tenderhearts 07:42 AM 06-06-2018
The lady from ESD Regional called me yesterday to ask if I had any concerns for this child. They are having a "meeting" Monday about the plan of action for this boy. She said it will be decided then if it would be here in my home (which she said would be the most preferable) or a classroom setting. I said, it almost sounds like even if I do not want to do this I don't have a choice, and in so many words she said yes although they like to make sure everyone is comfortable. I don't see how that would be ok to "force" it if I decline.
I explained I didn't think it would do anyone any good or help except cause a bunch of chaos that I would have to calm after (it's bad enough after the food program lady comes) and this particular boy I don't think would cooperate in this setting. She tried telling me that they have ways of "calming" the chaos but if they are only here to observe the boy I don't understand??? I'm just a little angry about it. Mom totally understands where I'm coming from and is not angry or upset with me and actually agrees with me, I mean we both see their point of view but also see mine and she has told them here is not an option so I don't understand why it would be on the table anyways why it just wouldn't go straight to the classroom setting.
Cat Herder 08:33 AM 06-06-2018
I have dealt with it a few times. This is what my licensor sent me:

https://www.ada.gov/childqanda.htm

"Centers must provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services needed for effective communication with children or adults with disabilities, when doing so would not constitute an undue burden." - Speech therapy is literally services needed for effective communication.

She stated that as a licensed home provider I was also held to it.

I host them on the playground. They don't stick around long that way.
Annalee 09:14 AM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have dealt with it a few times. This is what my licensor sent me:

https://www.ada.gov/childqanda.htm

"Centers must provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services needed for effective communication with children or adults with disabilities, when doing so would not constitute an undue burden." - Speech therapy is literally services needed for effective communication.

She stated that as a licensed home provider I was also held to it.

I host them on the playground. They don't stick around long that way.
Exactly, I always tell therapist they can come from 6-7 or 4-4:30....those times aren't convenient for them, either and it can be distracting for the child receiving therapy and the children in care.

Made this decision after an OT came and used MY MUSIC/exercise time for her to make mega bucks while sitting there I said NO MORE!!!!
tenderhearts 12:29 PM 06-06-2018
They actually let you choose the time? I could choose quiet time that way only 2 would be up lol. How long do they stay? I was told they come once a month which doesn't seem that long so if that is the case do they stay hours???
Cat Herder 12:35 PM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
They actually let you choose the time? I could choose quiet time that way only 2 would be up lol. How long do they stay? I was told they come once a month which doesn't seem that long so if that is the case do they stay hours???
They ask your preference and will try to accommodate. The time it takes depends on their goal each day. You can ask them each visit. About an hour was pretty common.
hwichlaz 12:35 PM 06-06-2018
I have kids in care who get therapy in my home 4 times a week. Physical therapists do pull-out, occupational therapists pull them out for a bit, then work with them in the group, behavioral therapists do mostly group work. Early interventionists do a combo as well. The focus in behavioral and occupational therapies is helping the child navigate their world appropriately. Their world, while awake, is almost all daycare. Speech therapy has never happened here. That’s run by the school district here and the parents have to miss work every week to take them.

It’s only disruptive for the first two weeks. Then it’s the norm and the kids don’t notice.
tenderhearts 12:40 PM 06-06-2018
His is only for speech. He can't say certain sounds so for instance he can do the fffff sound but if he wants to say the word fun it comes out cun, or the shhh sound comes out k.
flying_babyb 06:15 PM 06-06-2018
Do you have a area away from the main group she could work? Our speech therapist (daycare center) takes the children into the hallway area (really its a room outside the kitchen and contains a table and chairs). All 4 of her speech kids are easily distracted so she works out there with them and we are in the classroom/outside. Ours comes around 3 to 340 which works out great as we are outside.
tenderhearts 08:37 AM 06-07-2018
that was one of my concerns was that they would need to take him into a different room which would then affect my family because it would be in the other area of my home, but she told me that they would not remove him from his peers that they would observe him interacting which I don't fully understand how that will help with his speech but then again I am not a speech therapist.
Cat Herder 09:12 AM 06-07-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
that was one of my concerns was that they would need to take him into a different room which would then affect my family because it would be in the other area of my home, but she told me that they would not remove him from his peers that they would observe him interacting which I don't fully understand how that will help with his speech but then again I am not a speech therapist.
Sounds like an initial screening observation.

"A screening usually consists of a short (20 minutes or so) meeting with your child (and yourself, if appropriate) where he will be asked to repeat some words and answer some questions and take part in a short conversation. This also may include a short observation of your child in the classroom (if your child is school aged). The information from this short meeting and any observations will help determine if an assessment is indeed indicated."

http://www.playingwithwords365.com/w...ssment-proces/
Tags:speech pathologist, speech therapist
Reply Up