Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Collections
Unregistered 12:43 PM 01-26-2018
Hi, I was wondering if any of you that ever turned a daycare family over to collections could share their experience. I had a family leave that owes me quite a bit of money so I had sent them a letter saying if they didn't set up payment arrangements by a certain date I would be taking them to small claims court. I really don't want the stress of doing that and didn't know turning them over to collections was even an option until recently. I realize I never should have let them stay so long with an outstanding balance but I figured there was a better chance I would get paid if they were still coming here vs if I made them leave. They haven't made a single payment since they left. What would be the best way to go about changing my plan of action? Send them a new letter or just proceed?
Reply
amberrose3dg 12:59 PM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi, I was wondering if any of you that ever turned a daycare family over to collections could share their experience. I had a family leave that owes me quite a bit of money so I had sent them a letter saying if they didn't set up payment arrangements by a certain date I would be taking them to small claims court. I really don't want the stress of doing that and didn't know turning them over to collections was even an option until recently. I realize I never should have let them stay so long with an outstanding balance but I figured there was a better chance I would get paid if they were still coming here vs if I made them leave. They haven't made a single payment since they left. What would be the best way to go about changing my plan of action? Send them a new letter or just proceed?
File in small claims. I doubt they will make good on it now especially since they are no longer using care.
Reply
hwichlaz 01:04 PM 01-26-2018
The collection company will keep their fees out of the balance unless you have the fees written into your contract. My contract includes wording tells parents that collections fees will be ADDED.
Reply
Blackcat31 01:04 PM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi, I was wondering if any of you that ever turned a daycare family over to collections could share their experience. I had a family leave that owes me quite a bit of money so I had sent them a letter saying if they didn't set up payment arrangements by a certain date I would be taking them to small claims court. I really don't want the stress of doing that and didn't know turning them over to collections was even an option until recently. I realize I never should have let them stay so long with an outstanding balance but I figured there was a better chance I would get paid if they were still coming here vs if I made them leave. They haven't made a single payment since they left. What would be the best way to go about changing my plan of action? Send them a new letter or just proceed?
File in court or let it go.

This isn't a very common issue anymore as most providers are prepay only so no one leaves owing any money or if they do its not much.

I've successfully taken a families to court and won but it was years ago and it does take time so you have to be willing to do what needs to be done to collect what's owed. There really is no easy way to get money owed to you.

Here are some other threads about this subject.
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...l+claims+court

Also, if you have any proof of them saying they WILL pay according to their payment plan, that is really all you need to win in court.
Reply
Unregistered 01:21 PM 01-26-2018
Also their late fees would add up to almost what they owe me. It seems excessive so how would you all handle that?
Reply
Blackcat31 01:33 PM 01-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Also their late fees would add up to almost what they owe me. It seems excessive so how would you all handle that?
Ask for ALL of it when you file and take what they award you.
Its all dependent on their past history of paying and what type of documentation/proof you have.

Some judges seem to understand late fees and others don't seem to think late fees count as "owed".

What state are you in?
Reply
Unregistered 10:33 AM 07-17-2018
Does anyone know of any collection agencies that will take on just one account? Iím having trouble finding one. Iím in Michigan. I have since changed my policy to prepay only.
Reply
Cat Herder 10:39 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Does anyone know of any collection agencies that will take on just one account? Iím having trouble finding one. Iím in Michigan. I have since changed my policy to prepay only.
https://www.childcareprotect.com/pricing/
Reply
Cat Herder 10:47 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
https://www.childcareprotect.com/pricing/
Skip this. I just pulled up the address on google maps and it is a doctors office. I also can't find any reviews anymore.

Sorry.

Small claims court may be your best bet.
Reply
Unregistered 02:45 PM 07-17-2018
When I click on your link it looks like it goes to the right site. Do you know anything about them?
Reply
Cat Herder 05:12 PM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
When I click on your link it looks like it goes to the right site. Do you know anything about them?
There used to be reviews online from other providers, they are all gone now and the street address listed on the bottom of that website is invalid. I also checked better business bureau and they are not listed. Nothing.

I have not used an agency in many years. I use online autopay, in advance only, now.
Reply
LysesKids 06:58 PM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
There used to be reviews online from other providers, they are all gone now and the street address listed on the bottom of that website is invalid. I also checked better business bureau and they are not listed. Nothing.

I have not used an agency in many years. I use online autopay, in advance only, now.
I only do cash or credit card pre-pay... haven't had to chase a parent for payments in years after I switched the contract payment terms; no pay, no stay; full time contract automatically becomes Pay by the Day/Drop-in if monthly fees aren't paid in full by the 1st of each month... no payment of any fees means no care regardless what contract payment amount is - I refuse to work for free
Reply
Tags:collection agency, providerwatch, small claims, small claims court
Reply Up