Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Mom Wants To Hold A Spot For Three Months

So I got a call Tuesday from a mom that is ready so save a spot. She had come to interview a month ago and was pregnant. Her baby will be three months old in Feb when she would start.

Thing is I'm nervous my current DCKs will be 9mo and 22mo and my own two kids. Will I realistically be able to juggle the duties for two infants and a almost two year old. For those of you who've done this how do you work it out?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Well, today I took care of a 3 week old, 5 month old, 2 yr and 2 mo, and 2 yr and 8 mo old...plus my 2 (8yrs and 4 yrs).

Is it challenging...oh yes!! But, I am more then prepared. I have quiet a few equipments: Swings, bouncers, Slings, and a rock n play sleeper for the infant. Not all states can use these things but mine can.

The key is to take it slowly. I tried it out a few times already to test my self. One of my little's are teething...it makes it challenging and all of them have the sniffles and noses are running..but if I can't handle a bad day I couldn't possible handle a good day. I know my limitations though...I'd be calling that parent if I felt that I was overwhelmed. Maybe try it out in the beginning letting the parents know you can offer a trial period to see how it goes. Also, you know how your kids are...if they are pretty good for you and adding another would be ok with out to much stress do it..but if you feel that that would not be a good ideal..don't do it. I ashually turned down a parent last yr who wanted their infant in here when I had room but I cared for a little one at the time that required quiet a bit more attention then the average child. There was no way I could care for a infant at that time. Now that I no longer for that child I was free to take a child and it didn't matter infant or toddler.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:48 PM

I think it could work. I do my three kids (all under 4 including a 6 month old) and I also have 3 full time kids (a 2 year old, a 14 month old and a 16 month old). It really depends on how the other kids are doing in Feb. and how demanding the newborn is. Do you have a holding fee or deposit fee? Do you have a trial period?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

I haven't held a spot before so am not sure on what would be fair.

Should I draw up a separate contract for holding the spot?
Old 11-24-2011, 05:58 AM

I would charge at least half rate to hold the spot. I have been burnt by people holding spots, while they had good intentions, they either ended up losing their job while on maternity leave, etc, and I ended up holding spots for free, turning away clients, and getting burnt in the end. No more.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:05 AM

I charge first and last weeks pay to hold a spot.
I don't hold spots for more than 3 months any longer. It was too hard to know what the circumstances would be if longer than that.

It can be done with those age groups. You just have to know what you can handle and care for. If you are nervous....maybe it's not the right thing to do? I kinda go by my bodies' reaction to things now. Everytime I've been a little hesitant, there was always a reason in the end.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Parent and Provider

I charge half rate to hold spots - non refundable. Due on the 1st of each month. One month's notice required to quit, etc. I now only do this for 2 months. Then full rate. All of my families have started this way. BTW - I juggled a 4 mo, 10 mo, 15 mo, along with a 22 mo, 2 yo and 2 kinders. Once you get a pattern going, it works. I did have a helper for lunch time on Thursdays b/c I had a one hour overlap with everyone here.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

its always hard at first but once you get on schedule it will be fine.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:10 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

I would require a months pay upfront with an enrollment fee. Both non refundable if they change their minds. The month pay would go to the notice time so the first week pay would need to be the Friday before the baby started.

Three months is a long time to hold a spot. Securing a months notice time will increase your odds that they will not entertain other options.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:57 PM

I know i coudlnt handle a newborn at this point, not till my own twins are a bit older and out of the holdmeallthetime stage
Acts 13:22
Old 11-26-2011, 04:50 PM

I try to keep my enrollment to only 1 under 12 months, its just based on my experience and what I WANT to handle. When my own was a baby I took a baby same age as him (about 6 months when started) and it wasn't impossible but I like my days to be a little easier now.

As for holding the spot... I charge a separate "holding fee" for a spot not being occupied within 2 weeks. Its a fill in the blank amount on my contract - I base it on the weekly fee they will be paying and how long I'll be holding the spot. I'd be pretty upset if I held my one and only infant spot for someone for 3 months and then they backed out so I would make it an amount worth it to me.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

I currently have a 4 m/o, an 11m/o, a 4 y/o, a 2 1/2 y/o and a 3 y/o. Its very busy but it can be done. The main thing is that you have to do the two infant feedings so there not at the same time. Take some time and really think about it before you give her and answer. That way you wont have any regrets later on.
I would definaetly have her pay a deposit (non refundable) to hold the spot i fyou decide ot take her and get it in writting.
Debbie
Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds View Post
I try to keep my enrollment to only 1 under 12 months, its just based on my experience and what I WANT to handle. When my own was a baby I took a baby same age as him (about 6 months when started) and it wasn't impossible but I like my days to be a little easier now.

As for holding the spot... I charge a separate "holding fee" for a spot not being occupied within 2 weeks. Its a fill in the blank amount on my contract - I base it on the weekly fee they will be paying and how long I'll be holding the spot. I'd be pretty upset if I held my one and only infant spot for someone for 3 months and then they backed out so I would make it an amount worth it to me.

I can see your point. Here, Infants
I are very easy to get enrolled. It doesn't bother me to have lost out if they don't enroll after the three months. I just go ahead and put an ad out ( most the time I don't even have to do that). I just want to know they are serious about enrolling. That's why I have the holding deposit. It puts responsibility on their part as well.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks for all the advice. I gave it some serious thought and am going to hold the spot for her. Going over everything with her this week. Like you all said it is key to have a good routine down so that is what i will aim for. Hopefully it will all fall into place. thanks

Tags
holding spot - how long, holding spot policy