Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Profit or Loss?

I am confused about reporting a loss. I thought you could only report a loss two years in a row. Yet I saw on a post here where some daycares declare a loss every year.
In '08 and '09 I reported a loss then in '10 I reported a profit but it was only around $300. This year I will definitely be in the red so how would I report that? Can I take the loss because it is going to be a big one, or do I just not report everything I bought???
Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Tom will probably post some information. Feb 9th is fast approaching and it would be a good idea to register for our Tax Webinar with Mr Copeland if you haven't already done so.

2011 Tax Changes for Family Child Care Providers

https://www.daycare.com/news/taxes/to...d-webinar.html
Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default claim a loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyJ View Post
I am confused about reporting a loss. I thought you could only report a loss two years in a row. Yet I saw on a post here where some daycares declare a loss every year.
In '08 and '09 I reported a loss then in '10 I reported a profit but it was only around $300. This year I will definitely be in the red so how would I report that? Can I take the loss because it is going to be a big one, or do I just not report everything I bought???
There is no rule that says you can't report losses for years and years in a row. If you do, however report a loss three out of five years, the IRS is much more likely to audit you. This is because a for profit business (such as family child care) must show that it's trying to make a profit, otherwise the IRS could determine that you are not running a business and deny many of your deductions.

Claiming occasional losses for your business is fine.

Tags
reporting - income