Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do you keep toddlers engaged?
jenny31052 09:14 AM 09-30-2011
I'm caring for an 18 months old, and my son who is 2 - well I'm having the hardest time keeping them engaged for more than 10 minutes at the time. We read books, ABCs, draw, paint, play with blocks and so on...but in a matter of an hour, I'm out of activities to do, and looks like they prefer to free play much of the day. I know the attention span is short, and they learn through play, but even if I do have a sort of curriculum set up, I feel like I can't do anything with them...
What do you do with the very little ones?
Zoe 09:17 AM 09-30-2011
Free time. I know it's boring, but that's all I do with my 16 month dcg. I tried to sit her down for circle time yesterday so that my 3/4 year olds could have some structure. She cried the whole time and it was very distracting and annoying to the ones who want to learn.

If they don't want to do activities, don't stress yourself out trying to find things for them to do. They are perfectly content just playing with toys and discovering things for themselves. In the mean time, fold some laundry! Sweep the floor! Or do what I did today, sit on the floor and sing oldies songs!
Cat Herder 09:20 AM 09-30-2011
Rotate toys, activities and outdoor time multiple times a day.

Rinse, repeat.... That's all I got.
SilverSabre25 09:39 AM 09-30-2011
Enagaging, fun toys.
Free play
Sensory play
Free play
Outside
Free play
Inside
Free play
stories
Free play

You can make the TOYS the curriculum for that age (well, any age really)--good sturdy basic TOYS like blocks, duplos, letter blocks, baby dolls and a few bottles and accessories, some play food and some pots and pans, paper and a couple big crayons, some empty bags and containers, shape sorters. Add opportunities for sensory play, gross motor, stories...and you can "make" a curriculum just by watching them play.

Example:
Bobby is building with blocks. First he carefully lines up one row, side by side. Then he carefully lines up another row, the same length *one to one correspondence (math)*. Then he carefully builds a tower of three blocks *fine motor control* and says "one, free, four!" while doing it--you say, "Yes, you built one, two, three blocks!" *counting*, "Now can you put the red block on top?" and he first picks up a blue block; you say, "a RED block" while pointing to a red, and he gets the red block *language, colors* placing it carefully on top of his tower. The tower wobbles, but he corrects it and beams proudly at you "Yay! You did it! You have one, two, three, FOUR blocks!" and he counts, "one, two, free, four! Now 'nuver red!" and grabs another red. This time the block tower tumbles and he gets upset, you comfort him *emotional* and encourage him to try again. He carefully starts building again, when Sarah comes and studies what he's doing, then seizes the block Bobby was using. You help them navigate that difficulty by giving them words to use *social*.
nannyde 09:56 AM 09-30-2011
Have them go play toys.

We just have a room set up with great toys and we supervise them while they play toys. At that age our involvement IS supervision and working with them to learn how to properly play with our equipment and next to each other.

We don't do "activities" with them. Just have them free play and we rotate toy collections into their area that are age appropriate. We have a great schedule of eating, playing, outdoor walk, sleeping etc... so they have break times from playing.
Heidi 10:15 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Have them go play toys.

We just have a room set up with great toys and we supervise them while they play toys. At that age our involvement IS supervision and working with them to learn how to properly play with our equipment and next to each other.

We don't do "activities" with them. Just have them free play and we rotate toy collections into their area that are age appropriate. We have a great schedule of eating, playing, outdoor walk, sleeping etc... so they have break times from playing.
ditto ditto ditto
AnythingsPossible 10:25 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Have them go play toys.

Have you ever posted pictures of your setup? Just curious to see it, and to lazy to search, so figured I would just ask!!!
nannyde 10:38 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Have you ever posted pictures of your setup? Just curious to see it, and to lazy to search, so figured I would just ask!!!
I have hundreds of pics that show my rooms.

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...lbumid=6076558

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos/
cheerfuldom 11:03 AM 09-30-2011
I don't do any type of activities for kids under 2. Its strictly free play indoor and out, daily walks, naps and feedings. That takes up the whole day! Don't stress yourself out trying to entertain them because you will train them to be entertained and then they won't know what to do with toys on their own. I do read books with the kids but none of my day is me sitting down and playing the toys for them while they watch. That is my pet peeve for little kids! I have had to untrain some kids from that thanks to a few parents. Its weird to me that a kid will have a room full of toys and not know what to do but thats another topic!
Cat Herder 11:07 AM 09-30-2011
I am willing to bet my whole playroom that you girls do activities....

Storytime, "Princess Parties", Clean-up time, Lunch Time.....blah, blah, blah..

Me and my weird vocabulary usage again, right?

Yes, I do curriculum, too....but that is against my will.
Reply Up