Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking About Quitting
SimpleMom 10:19 AM 01-10-2012
Should I? Would you if you could?

I am so tired of watching other people's kids right now. Not sure what's going on. I'm just wanting to be with my own for awhile, before I go back to work outside the house.

I've done this for years and at times I've wanted a change. Once, I worked in an office, once I went back to school. Came back to childcare both times.

Right now, my hubby said it would work MAYBE in two to 8 months. Today, that just feels too darned long

Why on Earth does it bother me so much right now?? My goodness, the kids are all great, great parents as well. I really have no motivation to organize any sort of play. Would it be the same if it were just me and my own kiddos? I've never been a stay-at-home mom. Maybe I'm just depressed Kinda feel like the worst everything right now. ugh.
busymommy0420 10:50 AM 01-10-2012
I WISH I could just have my two daughters all day alone. I could afford NOT to do daycare ( I have 2 FT & 1 PT during the day, 1 before school and two after school) totaling about $500 a week. If I didn't do daycare things would be tight and I really like giving my kids the extras like sporting events, vacations, lessons, concerts, Disney on Ice...and much more and wouldn't want to give that up. My daughters truly have fun with the other kids and I don't let daycare hold me prisoner. We go out to museums, parks, ballet class, gymnastics and the library as a group. I have a great routine that works for us which I think is a huge help. If you can afford to loose the income, then it is something you should think about. Good Luck!!
SimpleMom 10:55 AM 01-10-2012
If I can't quit, I want to narrow my numbers down to 3 dc kiddos. That way, we all fit into my car and i can get my kiddos to things they need or want to do. Maybe a field trip as well. I'm a bit nervous about taking out a load of kids on my own. But the freedom to choose that would be great. I would only make 355 a week though. So it's still a cut in pay, but still pay kwim?
busymommy0420 11:15 AM 01-10-2012
I have three girls all day plus my two. We do field trips in the AM and return for lunch and naptime usually by 1pm. I have a quad stroller so they all fit and one walks holding onto the stroller. I have received hundreds of comments like, "Are they all yours? "Do you do daycare?" and "Wow, I have never seen a 4 person stroller."

I ordered it and it came to $320 with tax and it is the BEST investment I have EVER made. It ROCKS. Below is a link!!!

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHEQ8wIwAQ
kidkair 11:24 AM 01-10-2012
Sounds to me like you should cut back and do the ones you can fit in the car. You probably just need to get out and away from the house a bit more than you are able to right now. Even taking them shopping one day a week may help. I cannot take the kids out as I can only fit two car seats in my car and there is no way I am keeping to just two kids all the time. I don't have any of my own kids so I have the ability to leave the house in the evenings and that helps me as long as I go some where that there's not a lot of kids. While you figure things out remember to schedule in some you time so you can rejuvenate a bit. I'm feeling trapped and want out right now too but I know a lot has to do with the fact I haven't had a vacation in a while and I have one coming up so I just want it to be here now.
cheerfuldom 02:08 PM 01-10-2012
you could always cut down, try it for a few months and then advertise if it isn't working like you thought. Its hard to stay motivated doing a job that is so monotonous.....perhaps you just need some variety in your days.
SimpleMom 04:09 PM 01-10-2012
Maybe the quad stroller would be a good investment. I actually have about 230.00 saved up from Ebay sales! (it was supposed to go to a new truck--in about 5 years, but this might be a good investment as well).
I will try to cut back and see how that works. I've had a lot of babies for a couple of years at the same time as well. Oh, and yes, I could use a vacation---big time. I had one early last summer for a week. It's been awhile.

i'll try this stuff before I consider quitting. I think being able to get out and closing at a decent hour will help a lot. It's worth a shot anyway
Thank you so much for all of the great input. It's got my spirits up a bit more.
Mary Poppins 05:11 PM 01-10-2012
Do you think part of this is that it's winter and you may be having a bit of cabin fever? If not, and you really are just burned out, it's time to move on because it isn't good for anyone involved and life is too short.

I feel cooped up right now but we like to plan "staycations" on the weekends just to get o-u-t (the hubs has a demanding job, too). Within a short distance there are tons of cool places for us to get away and play "tourist" so we do that a LOT.

In fact, next weekend we are renting a cabin and soaking in the hotsprings just a few miles from our house (but a million miles from dc - ahhhhh lol).

Doing these mini-vacations are what get me through until summer, honestly!
Unregistered 07:18 AM 01-11-2012
[quote=SimpleMom;184591]Should I? Would you if you could?

I am so tired of watching other people's kids right now. Not sure what's going on. I'm just wanting to be with my own for awhile, before I go back to work outside the house.

I've done this for years and at times I've wanted a change. Once, I worked in an office, once I went back to school. Came back to childcare both times.

Right now, my hubby said it would work MAYBE in two to 8 months. Today, that just feels too darned long

Why on Earth does it bother me so much right now?? My goodness, the kids are all great, great parents as well. I really have no motivation to organize any sort of play. Would it be the same if it were just me and my own kiddos? I've never been a stay-at-home mom. Maybe I'm just depressed Kinda feel like the worst everything right now. ugh.[/QUOTE

I am closing my daycare my last day is THIS FRIDAY woo hoo I have been doing this for 11 years I will be 9 months pregnant with my forth Saturday and I figured thats a daycare in its self lol. I cant wait just to be with my 4 kiddos and no one else. Me and my princess and baby can run alot of errands when my other 2 are in school and I dont have to worry about taking anyone elses child with me, anyone elses child getting mine sick, if the parents are gonna pick up on time, pay on time, etc.. Money will be tight but it will work and I cant ever get the alone time back I will have with my kids when they are grown I can always go back to daycare when they are grown even thou I highly doubt I will ever go back.
greenhouse 07:32 AM 01-11-2012
I'm on the fence every day about fully committing to my day care ( meaning trying to fill all the spots) or just taking in p/t kids is I can leave the house and have an extra day off. I loooovvee having days with just my son and I. I may lose my f/t dcb in spring when dcd is laid off, I'm just going with the flow for now. I think these decisions have a way of working themselves out.
Tags:over it, overwhelmed, quitting
Reply Up