Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Have Cubbies?
Abigail 01:03 PM 01-25-2012
I want to order cubbies and want to get them from a company not home-made. If you have any certain brand or company can you please share your likes a dislikes?

I'm in the COLD COLD north so we need space for boots, snow pants, winter jackets, and all that fun stuff during half the year.

Do you have a bench on your cubbie or is it just straight up and down without a seating area? This is something I'm unsure about. I don't know if kids would actually use the seat and companies will always try to sell it by showing a picture of a child sitting on the seat to put on shoes but we all know they will sit on the floor first.

If you don't have any cubbies, you can certainly share the website to your dream cubby and tell us why! I have a few days to think on this as i really need a better storage system than by 6 hooks on the wall.

Also, what do you think any pro's and cons of this cubby would be?
http://www.wayfair.com/Early-Childho...14-NY1503.html
Provider_Manda 01:55 PM 01-25-2012
I just have a small cubbie shelf, it does not have the lockers in with it..I got mine at Lowe's for around $30 and I use it for their diapers, wipes and clothes and now Im also using it for toys too.. The link you posted looks like nice cubbies, if you have the space for it..and for what you need (room for the snow pants) it should work just fine. I would love something like that but do not have the space for it.
lovelife 01:59 PM 01-25-2012
I have the exact cubbies in the link posted. My kids love them! I bought a plastic container for the top and they store there sheets and a smaller receiving blanket in them. Then on one of the hooks I have the recycle bags from toys r us and they store there extra clothes, gloves, hat, ect in them. Then they still have room to hang there coats on the other hook and shoes for the bottom. Oh and they slide there blankets under the coat and bag.
DaycareMama 02:04 PM 01-25-2012
I have the one you pictured my only complaint was it could easily tip so it would have to be placed accordingly. Ok one more complaint. If your taking infants and allow diaper bags they will be easily reachable. Other than that I used it for many years till I needed a bigger one
Countrygal 02:22 PM 01-25-2012
OK, I'll tell you what I use, but don't anyone laugh, OK????

I use those laundry sorters on wheels - the mesh ones. They come three to a grouping. They are roomy and VERY easily washable! They are airy (in case - oh NO - a wet mitten got thrown in!) and I've had kids stand on the bottom bars trying to reach things and they snap right back in place. They pull out easily for floor washing or moving around.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...orter/15554069

And as you can see they are horribly expensive (9.95 for a three-group) at Wally World.

I would like coat hooks somewhere separate (like near my door).

The one thing that doesn't work well is that for the two year olds it is hard to reach their things that get down in, but I am usually helping them, anyway.

One daycare I worked at had the cubes and hooks, but they were always a mess and things were always falling out of them.

Here's one from Kaboodle that looks interesting!

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/3-se...undry-sorter-9
daycare 03:04 PM 01-25-2012
I have the cubby shelves from Ikea. I then have a mesh square cubby box that fits in perfectly. To the left of that I have a really nice bar coat rack and attached to the top of it is my bulletin board full of kids pictures and weekly information.

let me see if I can find a link
Heidi 03:07 PM 01-25-2012
I have the kind without the upper shelf too, and I wish I had the ones you pictured. Even if they never used the bench, the upper shelf is nice for art work, notes to parents, and clothes to go home for washing. Then shoes can go in the bottom and not ruin the other stuff.

I used to have two banks of these, which when I had 8 kids was great, because no one had to share. I put them in an L shape to create a sort of foyer. It was much easier to remove myself from the situation when a child acted up with their parent. I don't have room for 2 now, but I have a smaller group.

It is nice when they don't have to share a cubby because there isn't really enough room, to be honest. Under our new Youngstar program, they have also told some providers that having the coats so close (like on hooks or in shared cubbies) is a hygiene issue, so it's just as well that they each have their own or share only with sibs.

I don't know about the bench on this one, I have a seperate little bench for my toddlers, and a step for my pre-k's.
daycare 03:15 PM 01-25-2012
http://www.target.com/c/home-storage..._spc_5_inc_7_1

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40047675/
kidkair 03:42 PM 01-25-2012
You could contact Blackcat because her husband makes cubbies and other furniture. I also live in the cold north and I don't have cubbies. I have a coat room with lots (20+) hooks at various kid size heights, a shelf for gloves and hats, and a book tray. I also have 4 shelves up above child reach. From the lowest up they hold extra clothes for each kid, diaper baskets for each kid still in diapers, extra diapers and wipes, extra mats and sheets/pillows/blankets, anything else I need stored out of the way.
kidkair 03:49 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
It is nice when they don't have to share a cubby because there isn't really enough room, to be honest. Under our new Youngstar program, they have also told some providers that having the coats so close (like on hooks or in shared cubbies) is a hygiene issue, so it's just as well that they each have their own or share only with sibs.
A hygiene issue? Really? Kids who play right next to each other all day long should have their coats separated? This just seems bizarre to me.
Abigail 04:20 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by lovelife:
I have the exact cubbies in the link posted. My kids love them! I bought a plastic container for the top and they store there sheets and a smaller receiving blanket in them. Then on one of the hooks I have the recycle bags from toys r us and they store there extra clothes, gloves, hat, ect in them. Then they still have room to hang there coats on the other hook and shoes for the bottom. Oh and they slide there blankets under the coat and bag.
Do you have a picture? Do you feel like it takes up a lot of space for the seating area? What color are you side panels? Did you have to put it together yourself? How old is yours?

Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I have the one you pictured my only complaint was it could easily tip so it would have to be placed accordingly. Ok one more complaint. If your taking infants and allow diaper bags they will be easily reachable. Other than that I used it for many years till I needed a bigger one
Did you have yours on an uneven surface or on carpet for it to tip easily? It seems really big and has a wider base so I don't imagine it would tip. I don't allow diaper bags for infants, only a bag that has just what you need for the day. I explain to parents they don't need supply a full diaper bag with extra clothes and toys and ointments or medicines if they need to go to grandma's or somewhere after daycare because I don't allow them or carseats in my home. Too much of a liability.

Originally Posted by bbo:
I have the kind without the upper shelf too, and I wish I had the ones you pictured. Even if they never used the bench, the upper shelf is nice for art work, notes to parents, and clothes to go home for washing. Then shoes can go in the bottom and not ruin the other stuff.

I used to have two banks of these, which when I had 8 kids was great, because no one had to share. I put them in an L shape to create a sort of foyer. It was much easier to remove myself from the situation when a child acted up with their parent. I don't have room for 2 now, but I have a smaller group.

I don't know about the bench on this one, I have a seperate little bench for my toddlers, and a step for my pre-k's.
Yup, it's a "Best Practice" and that is why I want to get one now and one later when I need more. I have a huge daycare entryway just waiting for cubbies!
DaycareMama 07:55 PM 01-25-2012
[b]Did you have yours on an uneven surface or on carpet for it to tip easily? It seems really big and has a wider base so I don't imagine it would tip. I don't allow diaper bags for infants, only a bag that has just what you need for the day. I explain to parents they don't need supply a full diaper bag with extra clothes and toys and ointments or medicines if they need to go to grandma's or somewhere after daycare because I don't allow them or carseats in my home. Too much of a liability.[/B

I had it on laminate flooring with and without carpet. The carpet was really thin like indoor outdoor.

I will have to measure mine. Maybe for some reason my base measurements weren't as wide? Maybe with it being older?? I will check and let you know
Checkinkids.com 09:05 PM 01-25-2012
We got one like this https://www.schooloutfitters.com/cat...cts_id/PRO3440 delivered today. It well built (this is the exact one in the link) and big. On the heavy side, but moveable with two people, or one strong one. Just be careful when you get them delivered - they wanted to just drop it off in the front yard even though it was raining. - We had a hard time moving it in during daycare. Good thing one of my helpers is tough!
DCMom 07:17 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Checkinkids.com:
We got one like this https://www.schooloutfitters.com/cat...cts_id/PRO3440 delivered today. It well built (this is the exact one in the link) and big. On the heavy side, but moveable with two people, or one strong one. Just be careful when you get them delivered - they wanted to just drop it off in the front yard even though it was raining. - We had a hard time moving it in during daycare. Good thing one of my helpers is tough!
I like that a lot! I've been thinking about going to something like that since my daycare has outgrown the cubbie system I have.

I have this one:

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&Brand=&Price=

It gets crowded...I have 9 families and 16 kids...so siblings have to double up in the cubby trays and in the winter it is a nightmare with all the outerwear! The plus side is the colored trays hold extra clothes, etc and gives me a place to stick parent notes and take home items. In the summer it isn't so bad, but it would be nice for each child to have their own spot.

I used to have this bench under it:

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&Brand=&Price=

but they used it to reach cubbies, jump off of, lay on, etc. never for sitting on and putting on the shoes

What it comes down to is the number of kids you normally have, where you want it in your house and what the main purpose is going to be. Then find the piece that is right for you. I am partial to Jonti-Craft items myself but there are many good manufacturers out there. CommunityPlaythings.com has some interesting modular items, but is more geared to centers space wise.

Good Luck!
Springdaze 07:24 AM 01-26-2012
I use the wooden crates from Michaels. I have them attached to the wall and each other. I had a hard time because they are under a window and the kids used to climb up to look out the window but they stopped finally!
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 01-26-2012
These are my cubbies. Eight cubbies, with 4 in each section. Siblings share a cubbie but every child has their own basket.
Springdaze 07:59 AM 01-26-2012
i couldnt afford all that! gotta go cheap but effective!
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
i couldnt afford all that! gotta go cheap but effective!
That is where I am super duper lucky!! My DH made them for me.

He is a carpenter who specializes in furniture both log and traditional and when ever I need daycare furniture, I show him the Lakeshore or similar catalogs and their prices he gets busy making the things I want!

Did I mention I absolutely adore him?
lovelife 11:35 AM 01-26-2012
I'm new to this so I am not sure how to upload a photo yet. Let me figure it out. My cubbies are just all natural wood, no coloring. They are very sturdy and they can take a beating. I am not sure how old they are. I do daycare on a military installation and some of my items come from a lending library (meaning I check them out for free use). I can say they are moved a lot and come from the homes of many different providers. So they are built to last, so to speak. If I ever move down town and do this for the state I believe I would purchase the same ones. The only draw back is that if your child has a bag full of extra clothing and a stuffed animal to sleep and a puffy coat you do have to kinda push them in, snug fit. Over all I love it. I keep my sign in and out board on top, sticker jar, a smaller metal fix holder and my scentsy warmer.
Abigail 07:21 PM 01-26-2012
well, I have some grant money to use and want to buy big stuff to show for it. I think I will get this cubby locker because it's on clearance for just under $300 and it's all wooden so I don't have to pick colored sides. I have a laundry room which is my daycare entrance room so all parents come in through the side door.....LOVE IT, we just finished it a few days ago, but still have to tape and texture and paint but at least we can use it! I have the space, but decided I didn't want colored sides to clash with my red washer/dryer. This is what as of tonight I'm going to stay with.....

http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...%7C0&PID=19441

sahm2three 07:50 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I want to order cubbies and want to get them from a company not home-made. If you have any certain brand or company can you please share your likes a dislikes?

I'm in the COLD COLD north so we need space for boots, snow pants, winter jackets, and all that fun stuff during half the year.

Do you have a bench on your cubbie or is it just straight up and down without a seating area? This is something I'm unsure about. I don't know if kids would actually use the seat and companies will always try to sell it by showing a picture of a child sitting on the seat to put on shoes but we all know they will sit on the floor first.

If you don't have any cubbies, you can certainly share the website to your dream cubby and tell us why! I have a few days to think on this as i really need a better storage system than by 6 hooks on the wall.

Also, what do you think any pro's and cons of this cubby would be?
http://www.wayfair.com/Early-Childho...14-NY1503.html
My uncle just made me a set almost JUST like those. Mine are a lot more beautiful though! He is amazingly talented. I actually had him make the cubbie a little wider so that I can accomodate three hooks. One on each side and one in the back. We are working on staining it but it is gorgeous! So excited. I think that that price isn't too bad, but I wanted something to look like nice furniture. I didn't want anyone to walk in and say, Oh, she must run a daycare. Here is a link to the ones I got the idea for the one I had built: http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Coat-Cubb...636201&sr=8-15
Abigail 05:10 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
My uncle just made me a set almost JUST like those. Mine are a lot more beautiful though! He is amazingly talented. I actually had him make the cubbie a little wider so that I can accomodate three hooks. One on each side and one in the back. We are working on staining it but it is gorgeous! So excited. I think that that price isn't too bad, but I wanted something to look like nice furniture. I didn't want anyone to walk in and say, Oh, she must run a daycare. Here is a link to the ones I got the idea for the one I had built: http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Coat-Cubb...636201&sr=8-15
Very pretty! You should take a picture to show us. My dad is great with building things, but he doesn't live close enough to build something so big and bring it to me. He could build smaller items, but right now I need to find better ways to break up my space. I can't wait until this cubby unit gets delivered and I sure hope it is put together! If not I think I can handle it.
snbauser 07:26 PM 02-05-2012
I have the Kaplan one posted above. The kids do use the bench part to sit and take off or put on their shoes. Each child has their own. Top is for papers. Extra clothes on one hook. Jackets on the other. Shoes on the "floor" of the middle section. On the bottom section I have buckets that have their blankets for naptime.
bice99 09:35 PM 02-05-2012
One word - Lice!

Originally Posted by kidkair:
A hygiene issue? Really? Kids who play right next to each other all day long should have their coats separated? This just seems bizarre to me.

renodeb 09:45 AM 02-06-2012
The ones pictured are great, is there a way you could anchor it into the wall? I have the wire cubbies. I bought them at bed, bath and beyond. I think they were around $27.95 or so. I love them but the dont hold much weight. There just right for me though. My dream cubbies would be the wooden ones on wheels from companykids.com.
Debbie
snbauser 10:08 AM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
One word - Lice!
Exactly!! And trust me if you end up with a child in your care with it, you will be ever so happy that they have individual spaces where their coats don't touch.
sahm2three 10:25 AM 02-06-2012
Here is mine:

There will be more hooks added, just need to get shorter screws! Isn't it beautiful?!?!
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Exactly!! And trust me if you end up with a child in your care with it, you will be ever so happy that they have individual spaces where their coats don't touch.
Two decades of childcare. NEVER had a case of lice.

My kids all share a cubby space for their jackets and backpacks but hats and gloves go in individual baskets. If I have sibs, they always share a cubby.

I also do not have SA kids so that lessens my chance of ever having a case of lice.

Not saying it can't happen, but it isn't likely enough that I am concerned.

SAHM2three: Your cubbies are beautiful! (Now I would be nervous about the kids dirty-ing them up... LOL!!)

I bought some cheap indoor carpet/rug and cut it into little squares to place in the bottom of the space where their boots/shoes go to help protect the finish. I take the little rugs out and vacuum/wash as needed.
saved4always 11:22 AM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Here is mine:

There will be more hooks added, just need to get shorter screws! Isn't it beautiful?!?!
That is very nice looking! Looks just like a nice piece of furniture. That is what I would want if I decided to get cubbies.
snbauser 02:28 PM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Two decades of childcare. NEVER had a case of lice.

My kids all share a cubby space for their jackets and backpacks but hats and gloves go in individual baskets. If I have sibs, they always share a cubby.

I also do not have SA kids so that lessens my chance of ever having a case of lice.

Not saying it can't happen, but it isn't likely enough that I am concerned.

SAHM2three: Your cubbies are beautiful! (Now I would be nervous about the kids dirty-ing them up... LOL!!)

I bought some cheap indoor carpet/rug and cut it into little squares to place in the bottom of the space where their boots/shoes go to help protect the finish. I take the little rugs out and vacuum/wash as needed.
I do not have SA'ers either. Never had a case of lice until 3 years ago. Worst nightmare ever. And although I do not have SA'ers, a lot of my kids do have older siblings in school. *knock on wood* it will be a long time before we have a case again but I was very glad that I had their jackets and spare clothes all stored in separate cubbies.
Tags:cubbies, purchase
Reply Up