Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rabbit Trail From The Free Play Thread....
Countrygal 01:32 PM 01-26-2012
OK, this sounds pretty rediculous, but.........

I've been reading about free play and in theory I agree. My kids when they were growing up got a LOT of free play, but mostly outside - we lived on a farm.

First, I'd like to discuss definitions of "Free Play". I'm thinking what one person considers free play another might consider directed play. Are we all on the same page?

Second, I have to ask for help once again:
How in the world do you keep them from fighting?? I only have three (ah, the magic number), and it is non-stop fighting if I allow them free play for over 15 minutes. I try redirecting and the same thing happens at the next toy. I do "toy time outs" and "thinking spots", but none of that seems to work. I DO have three VERY active children, one definitely ADHD, one VERY ACTIVE. I would like to allow them more free play, but it doesn't work. How do ya'll do it??

I have toys separated out into containers, they are allowed to share a toy or take up to one each out. That part works very well. They are very good about not making huge messes and sticking to the one toy each rule. But free play around here spells disaster.

Any suggestions?
youretooloud 01:59 PM 01-26-2012
We've always done 90% free play...in fact, even our projects are optional. The only thing not optional is nap time.

The rule is "no outside toys inside, no inside toys outside". As long as they follow those rules, it's all good. We have very little bickering, and they all seem to enjoy each other.

I do have more than three kids though, so I think less is always hard. They probably just get irritated with each other.
Blackcat31 02:39 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
We've always done 90% free play...in fact, even our projects are optional. The only thing not optional is nap time.

The rule is "no outside toys inside, no inside toys outside". As long as they follow those rules, it's all good. We have very little bickering, and they all seem to enjoy each other.

I do have more than three kids though, so I think less is always hard. They probably just get irritated with each other.
Yes, there is a lot to be said about the number of kids involved. I find that if my day is quieter and there are less kids here, they will not be as content to play without some sort of intervention on my part.

My "free-play" is basically whatever toys and or activities I put out for them to do. Those activities are related to whatever topic or theme we are in at the moment.

We also have centers such as art or the dramatic play areas that are open all the time and kids can play with the materials when ever they choose. I do rotate and change out the materials in these centers to match or coordinate the themes and topics we are on as much as I can.

I do a story/circle time type activity as well as an organized arts/craft time (occassionally) but they are optional. As a PP mentioned the only thing here that is not optional is nap/rest time. Well, I guess outside time isn't really optional either because if most of my kids want to go, we go. I can't leave one in the house alone so everyone goes if I go.
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:41 PM 01-26-2012
Ah yes, the less you have, the more they fight.

I have gotten to the point that I just ignore it.

Now if they are beating the snot out of each other, thats a different story.

My hubby always tells me that they need to work out most of their issue's on their own.
Countrygal 02:41 PM 01-26-2012
I am really, really coveting your spaces......
kidkair 03:20 PM 01-26-2012
I have free play most of the day. My definition of free play is they pick what they are doing from all the stuff out in the room/centers. They are free to move things from one area to another. I am around to intervene if a fight starts or if they start misusing toys/materials. While they free play I make food, change diapers, use the bathroom myself, make stuff for the next theme if needed, pull out art materials, clean up big messes, remind them of rules, answer questions, read posters, watch them, take pictures, and the like. Everything is their choice. If I set out art materials I might have a specific craft in mind and might not. If no one comes over when I grab stuff (highly unusual) I just start putting it all away again. They all love our quick tour (taking a look at the room together at the beginning of the day to talk about themes, colors, letters and the like) and stick by me but only because that's what they want. I've had little ones who continue doing other stuff and it doesn't bother me. The mandatory things are clean up/wash hands/sit at table/clean up after food, everyone goes out and in at the same time, and diaper changes.

Oh and when they start fighting I just tell them to stop and will redirect if necessary. They usually figure it out on their own. I too have three kids most days. I love having at least 3 because they look to me less often.
melskids 03:56 PM 01-26-2012
To me, free play doesnt mean just putting them in a room full of toys and checking in every once in awhile.

I place specific activities in each "area" for them to self select. They can choose to come and go from each activity as they choose.

I don't do the whole....845 is math time, 900 is science....that sort of thing. All of the activities are out and available to them all day.

As far as fighting, for me, I think having "centers" help. There is only so much room in each area, and a certain number of kids who can play there at a time. For example, the block area is only big enough for 2 to build comfortably. So everyone else must wait for a turn. If the two who ARE in there together start fighting....they clean up and go choose something else....apart.
Crystal 04:37 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
To me, free play doesnt mean just putting them in a room full of toys and checking in every once in awhile.

I place specific activities in each "area" for them to self select. They can choose to come and go from each activity as they choose.

I don't do the whole....845 is math time, 900 is science....that sort of thing. All of the activities are out and available to them all day.

As far as fighting, for me, I think having "centers" help. There is only so much room in each area, and a certain number of kids who can play there at a time. For example, the block area is only big enough for 2 to build comfortably. So everyone else must wait for a turn. If the two who ARE in there together start fighting....they clean up and go choose something else....apart.

Yep. Same here.

One of my student teachers was here yesterday. She was doing her observations for class. There were twelve children here. She told me she was amazed at how well the children worked together and resolved their own conflicts....negotiating and compromising to get what they wanted or needed. It is incredible the difference your environment makes in the behavior of the children.
Ariana 05:37 PM 01-26-2012
I don't limit toys at all really. I have toys that are put away to be rotated but generally speaking everything is accessable and at their reachable height. The kids all have different personalities but there's isn't too much fighting. My 20 month old definately gets into other people's business but she's 20 months so it's expected. I also try and get the kids to sort out their problems with language and it works really well. They'll tell eachother "go away you're bothering me" or whatever and that helps keep actual fighting down. I also, like mentioned above, have centers with different toys.

I'm also very strict about fighting over toys. If there is a particular toy that everyone seems to want and spend the day fighting over I let them know that if they're not able to take turns and wait their turns then the toy will be put away. I've only had to do this a few times and it's helped tremendously. Of course not all kids are at that level of comprehension so you have to come up with something for your group.

Originally Posted by :
First, I'd like to discuss definitions of "Free Play". I'm thinking what one person considers free play another might consider directed play. Are we all on the same page?
Free play is undirected play that is not facilitated or interrupted by an adult. The kids are "freely" playing. A lot of times adults are interrupters of play and they direct play a LOT. I worked with a woman who was like this, it drove me crazy. The kids would say "oh Billy you're the robber I'm going to chase you" and she'd totally change the direction of the play by saying "oh no Billy fell down he needs to go to the hospital". Can you see what she did there? she totally interrupted the play. If your program is going well and your toys are stimulating enough you shouldn't have to be involved with the kids that much. Kids may come to you asking for help or to write something down etc. but if they're looking to you to direct play something is not quite right.
melskids 05:30 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I don't limit toys at all really. I have toys that are put away to be rotated but generally speaking everything is accessable and at their reachable height. The kids all have different personalities but there's isn't too much fighting. My 20 month old definately gets into other people's business but she's 20 months so it's expected. I also try and get the kids to sort out their problems with language and it works really well. They'll tell eachother "go away you're bothering me" or whatever and that helps keep actual fighting down. I also, like mentioned above, have centers with different toys.

I'm also very strict about fighting over toys. If there is a particular toy that everyone seems to want and spend the day fighting over I let them know that if they're not able to take turns and wait their turns then the toy will be put away. I've only had to do this a few times and it's helped tremendously. Of course not all kids are at that level of comprehension so you have to come up with something for your group.

Free play is undirected play that is not facilitated or interrupted by an adult. The kids are "freely" playing. A lot of times adults are interrupters of play and they direct play a LOT. I worked with a woman who was like this, it drove me crazy. The kids would say "oh Billy you're the robber I'm going to chase you" and she'd totally change the direction of the play by saying "oh no Billy fell down he needs to go to the hospital". Can you see what she did there? she totally interrupted the play. If your program is going well and your toys are stimulating enough you shouldn't have to be involved with the kids that much. Kids may come to you asking for help or to write something down etc. but if they're looking to you to direct play something is not quite right.
I completely agree!

I agree with Crystal as well. Its all about how your environment is set up, and how you present toys, activities, and materials. The rest is up to the kids.

But I think some people mistake this approach by thinking its chaos and the kids just run amuck.
Tags:free play
Reply Up