Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What is Your Morning Routine..Need HELP
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:09 AM 03-21-2012
My daycare boys come at 5:45a.m., they are ages 7 and 3. When they come I have coloring books laid out and turn on cartoons so they are calm as my own girls are still sleeping. I tried laying out a bin of toys when they come but they get too hyper and loud. I have to remind them often to calm down and try to be quiet, even when it's just coloring books and cartoons.

The moment my daughter's wake up (ages 8 and 6), the 7 year old boy feels the need to by hyper....rolls around on the floor, hops like a frog, and makes loud noises. My girls are just waking up so this is a bother to them as they don't want the noises when they first wake up. I remind the boy frequently to settle down but I find myself saying it again a few moments later.

So I was wondering how you all run your morning? I don't want to be a "meanie" and have the kids hate it here because they are constantly being spoke to. But I do need some sort of order in this house and right now I feel I don't have that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
cheerfuldom 06:13 AM 03-21-2012
ugh....thats so early, I don't know how you do it, especially with an older kid like a 7 year old. I dont have any suggestions just wanted to sympathize
Zoe 07:23 AM 03-21-2012
I would put a mat on the floor and have him choose to either watch tv on the mat, or sleep. That's the choice. That way you don't have to always try to get him to calm down (as long as he's quiet laying down on the mat).
bgmeyers 07:24 AM 03-21-2012
I'd have them lay down for at least an hour. That's really early!
daycare 07:57 AM 03-21-2012
Here's the thing, it's not being mean, it's offering a choice and letting them decide.

I used to have one that arrived at 6am years ago, age 4. He had no choice, he went back to sleep. If he did not fall asleep after 20 minutes, then I put the TV on for him. NO toys, he was too loud playing toys.

If he got crazy while watching the TV, then I would ask him, would you like to watch tv or lay back down on your nap mat? Let them decide. They are old enough to make a decision if they are given choices. IF they chose to be loud, then it is their fault that they are having to lay on their mats, you gave them the consequence and the choice if the chose to not listen to you. This will help them to learn to listen and make good decisions.

As the PP said. That is super early and I would be laying them back down as soon as they arrived. Especially the 3 year old.
Soccermom 09:58 AM 03-21-2012
Wow! That is early! What time do your little ones get up at?
MizzCheryl 09:58 AM 03-21-2012
Could you seperate the boys into different rooms?
maybe one in the kitchen one in the living room. Tell the 7 year old that lil brother needs a nap and as long as he is quiet he can watch tv or something. They will be quieter apart, may even start napping in the am.
Meyou 10:10 AM 03-21-2012
I would put the little one right back to bed and put a mat out for the 7 year old who could watch tv or read until 7am.
ILMommy 10:17 AM 03-21-2012
I'm in the same position as you...the very first call I got for daycare was for a 2 year old needing to start at 5:30. I said yes, because I was trying to avoid going back to work after having my 2nd daughter and get a daycare business going instead. At the time I my baby was 5 weeks old, and I had forgotten what sleep was like anyway, so I though "why not?" Now I regret agreeing to that, because her mom drops her off after a Kool-aid and cookie breakfast, and she's wired! The other morning my husband went to leave for work and found toys thrown out into the garage...they were the loudest toys I have, and she wouldn't leave them be! I did bring them back in later, but removed the batteries. It's hard, because my 4 year old and the other daycare kids are all sleepy, and she's in their faces right away.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 11:49 AM 03-21-2012
Thank you for the suggestions...from now on it's a choice of laying on the mats or watching TV. I guess the moment they get loud off goes the TV and mat time it is. I'm always afraid of the kids not liking it here and losing income BUT if I don't set rules and be firm, I'm in for a ton of stress.
Jewels 12:07 PM 03-21-2012
I would make them lay down until 7am, watching TV quietly, if they make noise off goes the TV, I would not make them lay any longer than 7am though. What time is it that your daughters get up? Can you put your girls down for a little TV when they wake up, and have the boys playing in the playroom? Dont know what your set up is like.
sahm2three 12:32 PM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
My daycare boys come at 5:45a.m., they are ages 7 and 3. When they come I have coloring books laid out and turn on cartoons so they are calm as my own girls are still sleeping. I tried laying out a bin of toys when they come but they get too hyper and loud. I have to remind them often to calm down and try to be quiet, even when it's just coloring books and cartoons.

The moment my daughter's wake up (ages 8 and 6), the 7 year old boy feels the need to by hyper....rolls around on the floor, hops like a frog, and makes loud noises. My girls are just waking up so this is a bother to them as they don't want the noises when they first wake up. I remind the boy frequently to settle down but I find myself saying it again a few moments later.

So I was wondering how you all run your morning? I don't want to be a "meanie" and have the kids hate it here because they are constantly being spoke to. But I do need some sort of order in this house and right now I feel I don't have that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Ummmmm......that is FAR too early to have them start their day. *I* would have a place for them to lie down and attempt to have them go back to sleep. Sorry. I don't open until 7. I have made an exception here and there for families, and if they had to be there before 6:30, they would go back to bed. Sorry, no real advice!
nannyde 12:39 PM 03-21-2012
They would go directly back to bed to finish their nights sleep. I would seperate them into separate rooms and have them get up around eight or so once you have your older ones out the door for school.

What time are they going to bed and what time do they get picked up?
wdmmom 12:54 PM 03-21-2012
They would go back to bed here. My last arrival is 745am and I serve breakfast around 8am. I would get them up around 8am.
Soccermom 05:08 PM 03-21-2012
Thank you for the suggestions...from now on it's a choice of laying on the mats or watching TV. I guess the moment they get loud off goes the TV and mat time it is. I'm always afraid of the kids not liking it here and losing income BUT if I don't set rules and be firm, I'm in for a ton of stress.
I was the same way when I first started. I was so worried about what the kids thought about me and my home that I would end up completely stressed at the end of the day. I would let everyone walk all over me or get what they wanted in order to keep the peace (and the pay). BUT as I have become more experienced I have come to the realization that no matter what....kids are going to complain about their babysitter. Kids for the most part would rather be at home so if you don't give them something to complain about they will find something to complain about. We are not their friends, we are their caregivers.
I now treat my dcks like I would treat my own kids and if my own kids were jumping all over my house at 6am I would not even think twice about telling them to knock it off.
Plus this dcp found someone who agreed to take her kids @ 5:45am so chances are it would take a lot more than her kids telling her they don't like it at your house for her to term.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:59 PM 03-21-2012
My older 2 daughters (ages 14 and 12) get up around 6:50 to get on the bus at 7:20....my younger 2 daughters wake up anywhere between 7:30-7:50, on rare occations my youngest (age 6) will sleep a bit past 8.

It is VERY early for those boys to start thier day. The 7 year old states they go to bed at 8. Starting daycare early seems to be the normal around here, when I did daycare before and had 2 school age girls, they came at 5:40am and would go right back to sleep and wouldn't get up until 8am.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:02 PM 03-21-2012
Oh I know what I forgot to ask.....would if they are loud, I turn off the TV, and they refuse to lay down and rest or go to sleep. What do you do with a daycare child that refuses? Not sure if they will, but just want to prepare myself. I love the suggestions because I feel like I'm doing my daycare all wrong at times.
Soccermom 06:27 PM 03-22-2012
Be consistent with them. It may be tough for a week or so but they will eventually come around and come to the realization that you mean business. You could also make up a reward chart and if they play quietly until a set time they get a sticker. At the end of the week there could be a reward. (A special treat or activity they will love.)
Just an idea
momma2girls 06:34 PM 03-22-2012
I personally would never do that early ever again!! I would make them lay down and watch tv and do the same as the others have said. Once the noise starts, tv goes off and they rest quietly or go back to sleep!!
Countrygal 05:43 AM 03-23-2012
I had almost that exact situation earlier this year. Unfortunately, the place where the mom worked closed down so they are no longer here, but here's what I did...

We got up early with them, but we also went to bed by 7:30. My children always got enough sleep, but the dc children did NOT. The older one would very, very seldom go back to sleep. He usually ended up playing video games. The younger one (5) went back to sleep about 1/2 the time. Sometimes I'd let them play if they could handle it, but if not, they had to sit in front of a movie. They went to the bus at 7:00, so it was only about an hour they were here, and it was winter.

I decided it was not a very good situation and I'd probably never do it again unless the children were here all day and could take a good, long nap or maybe even a morning nap. Those kids just never got enough sleep.
nannyde 06:40 AM 03-23-2012
I would not allow TV. They would go directly back to bed and not get up until you needed them to get up. It's okay for a seven year old to have an eleven hour night. You have to remember he's getting up at home and travelling to you so he's most likely getting nine hours of sleep (8-5) He needs to GO BACK TO BED. That's not enough sleep.

Tell the Mom they are going back to bed from now on. It's too early to have kids up. That's that.
Reply Up