Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Payment From Parents
Unregistered 05:19 PM 03-01-2010
How do you handle payments from parents? Do you send reminders? or do parents just know when there money is due? Does any one send invoice emails to parents before payment is due?

thanks
MNM
momofboys 09:20 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do you handle payments from parents? Do you send reminders? or do parents just know when there money is due? Does any one send invoice emails to parents before payment is due?

thanks
MNM
It's in my contract that payment is due at the beginning of the week for that week of sevice. I do send parents notes home with them if the payment is different for the next week (if parent is not coming one day or if school is letting out early & I'll have their child longer, etc.). I guess those would be my invoices but otherwise parents just pay what their normal weekly fee is unless there is some variation in the normal week.
originalkat 07:08 AM 03-02-2010
My parents know that payments are due every Monday at drop off time. I dont send reminders home.
AfterSchoolMom 10:14 AM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
My parents know that payments are due every Monday at drop off time. I dont send reminders home.
If they "forget" payment on Monday, do you refuse care? I've been thinking of switching from Friday to Monday for paydays.
momma2girls 11:03 AM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
If they "forget" payment on Monday, do you refuse care? I've been thinking of switching from Friday to Monday for paydays.
I switched about 3 or 4 yrs. ago, from payment on Fridays to Mondays at the start of the week. It has worked wonderfully!! Then make sure and put late fees per day inc. Sat. and Sun. also make sure it is a good amt. I used to have $5.00 per day, and I had one family pay $10.00 per week. Needless to say I increased it to $10.00 per day. I know alot of daycare providers have $15-20.00 per day for a late fee.
misol 11:04 AM 03-02-2010
My payments are due on Friday for care the following week. Payments are considered late at noon on Monday. All of my parents pay on Monday at dropoff. If a parent drops off on Monday and doesn't have the payment I would tell them if they don't bring payment with them at pickup then I won't be acccepting the child into care on Tuesday unless they have the payment plus the $10 late fee.
momma2girls 11:07 AM 03-02-2010
I have daycare friends that have their payday- Friday before the upcoming week. Then they start their late fees on Sat. if not paid for on FRi.
TGT09 12:41 PM 03-02-2010
I do it a little different since I have some parents that pay both weekly and bi-weekly. Friday is always my pay day and it's for the current week of care. The only one that pays for the upcoming week is the bi-weekly payor.

Most of my parents know what they owe and when they owe. I do send out reminder e-mails to a few of them that have either requested it or need it because their care fluctuates each week. It also is easier to charge on the last day of care (IMO) because if there are sick days or snow days that aren't necessarily factored in. It would be a pain to me to have to take off money the next week from the previous week.
originalkat 01:34 PM 03-02-2010
If they "forget" on a regular basis then I have them go back to get it. But usually I just tell them to bring it that evening.
Carole's Daycare 11:21 AM 03-03-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I have daycare friends that have their payday- Friday before the upcoming week. Then they start their late fees on Sat. if not paid for on FRi.
That is how I do it- and if they "forget" Friday- I let them know they must have payment including late fees for Sat & Sun or they cannot drop off Monday morning. It works well for me, and allows me to have the income over the weekend to purchase materials and supplies needed for the upcoming week and get bills in the mail or drop boxes Saturday, since I can't get that stuff done during the week.
MarinaVanessa 07:56 AM 03-04-2010
My fees are due on Fridays by 6:00 p.m. (when DC closes) for the next week of care. My parent's know this but I have everybody's emails and like to send them e-mail reminders on Thursday. Most will pay on Friday at drop-off but if they "forgot my purse/wallet/checkbook" etc (you all know how it goes) and they don't pay by Friday it's late and late fee's apply.

If they don't pay by Friday by 6pm then I call them and e-mail a late payment notice with the late fee's added until they pay up. I like e-mail because it leaves a paper trail. Once Monday comes around if they still havn't paid I give them a written late payment notice. I only consider payment late until the day that I receive payment so they can stop by on Saturday or Sunday and leave payment otherwise I count Saturdays and Sundays and late days so come monday they have $15 added to their fee if they still havn't paid.

I'm harsh on this because I give plenty of opportunities and options to be able to pay on time. On top of cash and checks I also accept credit and debit cards through PayPal. It's cheaper for them to go home and pay by credit card (if they don't want to drive back) than paying the $5 a day late fee or if they forget their cash or checkbook they can pay with their card here. They get charged the extra small fee that PayPal charges me but it's still cheaper than the $5 late fee.
DBug 10:54 AM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'm harsh on this because I give plenty of opportunities and options to be able to pay on time. On top of cash and checks I also accept credit and debit cards through PayPal. It's cheaper for them to go home and pay by credit card (if they don't want to drive back) than paying the $5 a day late fee or if they forget their cash or checkbook they can pay with their card here. They get charged the extra small fee that PayPal charges me but it's still cheaper than the $5 late fee.
Wow, paying by debit or credit is a great idea! How do you have it set up?
Tags:payment
Reply Up