Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Household Supplies ...
MsLaura529 09:31 AM 02-12-2013
What are some regular household items that you have found the be the most useful to save? I'm thinking empty peanut butter jars, cereal boxes, etc ...

And do you use them for crafts or storage? I know that I have seen TONS of ideas of pinterest ... just wondering what YOU have found the be the most useful for yourself.

Thanks!
Laura
Meyou 09:41 AM 02-12-2013
I LOVE cardboard containers with plastic lids like coffee containers or the ones that hot chocolate powder come in. I cover them with paper and use them for anything from craft storage to quiet play games to valentines mailboxes (our craft this week). You can cut holes or slots in the top, they're easy to cover and the lids stay on tight.
MsLaura529 10:03 AM 02-12-2013
Oh, great idea!! I'll have to start buying my coffee by the can instead of the bags
Starburst 10:31 AM 02-12-2013
In third grade we made little piggies and cows out of old milk cartons and paper mashae (sp?)- then a few students (I was one of them) went to the state fair to help raise money for the local 4H club.

At my middle school we were all split up into animal groups called "families" (pumas, lobos, golden huskies), and every group had the same teachers for the 2 years (you may be able to transfer to another family) exept PE- the whole "family" would have it at the same period. Anyway at the end of every quarter or semester we had a "Huskey Pride Day" (our mascot was the husky). And during this day our classes were short (like 1/2 hour) and after lunch we picked one of our "family" teachers classrooms and for the last 2 hours of school we would do what ever activity (crafts, games, movie, video games) that teacher offered. One of my teachers did this thing were we made belts out of ribbon and soda can tabs.
momofsix 10:43 AM 02-12-2013
I love to use the trays that packaged meat and some fruits come in. I just make sure that they are washed really good. I use them to put paint on for the kids to dip brushes into.
I love empty spice containers for things like glitter.
Empty Gatorade bottles for discovery bottles.
Yogurt cups for paintbrushes/markers/pencils
Any large sized container that can be cleaned I use to store texture tub fillers.
I have tons of the plastic babyfood containers (I think Gerber 1st foods). They have covers that seal and I use them for things like glue, googly eyes, paper clips...
I've also saved many grocery boxes and containers for when we have our "store" in the dramatic play area.

OK-as you can see I have to throw anything that I might be able to use again out!
MamaBearCanada 02:27 PM 02-12-2013
I love the glass mason jars that spaghetti and Alfredo sauce come in I store crafts and baking supplies in them. I use the large round plastic fruit trays that have 5 compartments as sorting trays. Large cardboard boxes I use for everything from drawer dividers to doll beds to pretend mailboxes. Thinner cardboard I use for backing for crafts or for the kids to paint on.
Mom&Provider 04:29 PM 02-12-2013
I generally keep tissue boxes, tp rolls and paper towel rolls. I don't hang on to anything really bulky unless I already have a plan for it!
Crazy In Mo 05:45 PM 02-12-2013
I would love ideas on what I could do with the plastic baby food containers. I've been keeping them because they seem like they would would be useful for something....... So far they are just taking up space
Willow 06:09 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy In Mo:
I would love ideas on what I could do with the plastic baby food containers. I've been keeping them because they seem like they would would be useful for something....... So far they are just taking up space
I have painted the insides and let the kids use them to play feed their babies.

I also make my own baby foods and will refill them. They stack nicely in the freezer

Like momofsix we have discovery bottles made out of water bottles.

Cardboard boxes can be made into ANYTHING! Play houses for barbies, boats, masks, hats, big funny shoes, stuffed animal caves etc.

Today we took toilet paper rolls and bent them into heart shapes (held in shape with rubber bands) to use as paint "stampers" to create valentines for parents. We've done the same with the chunk end of celery stalks to dip and paint and make flower shapes.

We've made rocket ships out of paper towel rolls.

Rocket packs out of two liter bottles (tape two together, spray paint and add some tissue paper "flames" coming out the openings, add a scarf or belt and you've got kids flying to the moon lol)

We also make mini-terrariums out of two liter bottles (kids LOVE to transplant even weeds they pick outside lol).

We also start our garden plants in early early spring in the plastic containers salads and donuts come in. Just snip up more of those tp rolls, add dirt and seeds, and close the lid. The clear plastic keeps heat in and lets sun shine through. Kids can watch the plants grow and learn about roots and it's easy to pick up each one of individual tp rolls to transplant right into the ground.

Sorting containers are easily made out of egg cartons. So are caterpillars

I used to have a clear tub for crayons but it got all marked up and looked dirty, now I use plastic coffee containers decorated with a piece of scrap paper.

Wipes containers are nice for storing puzzle pieces when the cardboard boxes start falling apart. Just cut out the picture and attach to the side of the wipe box. Snaps tight and stacks great.

I have pinned the milk jug igloo and we are currently stocking up to create one hopefully by mid summer!

I could go on and on here lol
Crazy In Mo 06:47 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I have painted the insides and let the kids use them to play feed their babies.

I also make my own baby foods and will refill them. They stack nicely in the freezer

Like momofsix we have discovery bottles made out of water bottles.

Cardboard boxes can be made into ANYTHING! Play houses for barbies, boats, masks, hats, big funny shoes, stuffed animal caves etc.

Today we took toilet paper rolls and bent them into heart shapes (held in shape with rubber bands) to use as paint "stampers" to create valentines for parents. We've done the same with the chunk end of celery stalks to dip and paint and make flower shapes.

We've made rocket ships out of paper towel rolls.

Rocket packs out of two liter bottles (tape two together, spray paint and add some tissue paper "flames" coming out the openings, add a scarf or belt and you've got kids flying to the moon lol)

We also make mini-terrariums out of two liter bottles (kids LOVE to transplant even weeds they pick outside lol).

We also start our garden plants in early early spring in the plastic containers salads and donuts come in. Just snip up more of those tp rolls, add dirt and seeds, and close the lid. The clear plastic keeps heat in and lets sun shine through. Kids can watch the plants grow and learn about roots and it's easy to pick up each one of individual tp rolls to transplant right into the ground.

Sorting containers are easily made out of egg cartons. So are caterpillars

I used to have a clear tub for crayons but it got all marked up and looked dirty, now I use plastic coffee containers decorated with a piece of scrap paper.

Wipes containers are nice for storing puzzle pieces when the cardboard boxes start falling apart. Just cut out the picture and attach to the side of the wipe box. Snaps tight and stacks great.

I have pinned the milk jug igloo and we are currently stocking up to create one hopefully by mid summer!

I could go on and on here lol
Oooo what's the milk jug igloo? Sounds neat!!!
Willow 06:53 PM 02-12-2013
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1nPKXkNu8N...+jug+igloo.jpg

My only fear is I'm going to spend all this time saving all our jugs, and then building, only to have it be awesome for like a day and then ignored
Crazy In Mo 07:05 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1nPKXkNu8N...+jug+igloo.jpg

My only fear is I'm going to spend all this time saving all our jugs, and then building, only to have it be awesome for like a day and then ignored
That looks really neat! I would have the same fear I wonder how many milk jugs they used.
MsLaura529 04:49 AM 02-13-2013
Thank you for the excellent ideas, ladies. And now after reading them, I'm going "oh, duh!" Haha. I love the egg cartons and fruit/veggie trays for sorting things, and the meat trays for paint.

Would anyone care to elaborate more on the discovery bottles? I have heard of them before, just wondering a litle bit more detail.
Tags:supplies
Reply Up