Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Utility Proof of Payment Question
craftymissbeth 09:43 AM 08-25-2014
My husband and I separated in April of this year. I was never on his checking account, but from Jan. - April while we were still together I was using his checking account to deposit all of my income as well as using it to pay all of our bills. I used the bank's online bill pay service to pay all of our bills. When we separated, he closed that account.

I now have no proof of paying those bills (in order to use them as deductions for taxes). I do, however, have the transaction histories from all of our utility companies. I can print all but two of them from my computer. The water bill can be printed from their office (I think). The house is under my parent's names and I basically just took over their mortgage payments. I'm sure I can get a payment transaction list from them, too.

My question is: will a payment transaction list be an ok substitution for a receipt? It doesn't show WHO paid it, but it does show that it was paid, how much, and when.
craftymissbeth 09:57 AM 08-25-2014
Also, I received a payment from the LIHEAP program for my natural gas bill. I just noticed on my natural gas transaction list it lists the payment from LIHEAP, but does not specify where the payment came from. I'd hate to claim it, but I'd also hate to raise any red flags by not claiming it.

Do I claim it or not?
TomCopeland 01:07 PM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
My husband and I separated in April of this year. I was never on his checking account, but from Jan. - April while we were still together I was using his checking account to deposit all of my income as well as using it to pay all of our bills. I used the bank's online bill pay service to pay all of our bills. When we separated, he closed that account.

I now have no proof of paying those bills (in order to use them as deductions for taxes). I do, however, have the transaction histories from all of our utility companies. I can print all but two of them from my computer. The water bill can be printed from their office (I think). The house is under my parent's names and I basically just took over their mortgage payments. I'm sure I can get a payment transaction list from them, too.

My question is: will a payment transaction list be an ok substitution for a receipt? It doesn't show WHO paid it, but it does show that it was paid, how much, and when.
While you were married you can deduct the business portion of your utility bills regardless of which bank account it was paid and regardless of whether you or your husband paid it. So, showing bank statements for these months that indicate the utility company was paid a certain amount should be all that you need. You could also ask the utility company to send you copies of your utility bills (or maybe they have posted them online). The bills and the monthly bank statements are enough.

I don't know what LIHEAP is. Please clarify.
craftymissbeth 02:10 PM 08-26-2014
It is a program that basically deposits money into your utility account.
TomCopeland 03:03 PM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
It is a program that basically deposits money into your utility account.
Is this a grant or is it your money? If it's a grant, you report the grant as income and report the payment as an expense. If it's your money you report it as an expense and you should have the paperwork to show that it's your money.
craftymissbeth 03:53 PM 08-26-2014
Thank you, that helps a lot!
Tags:receipts, receipts - none, tax advice, utilities
Reply Up