Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Handle This Situation??
Crazy8 05:21 AM 11-03-2014
will try not to make this too long…

family of 2 kids gives 2 weeks notice, mom is quitting job and going to work nights. I'm very upset because of the financial burden this causes but this is also the only family I have a half hour later than the others and the only ones I have on fridays. A little excited about having fridays off temporarily (will have to work my buns off to get more kids though!).

get call and have interview tonight for a 4 day a week kid - would still have fridays off. Thinking wow, if I can get one more like this (if I even get this one) maybe I can have fridays off for a few months at least!

family that gave notice now wants to take back notice. When quitting boss offered her a 4 day work week for same pay - she took it. Gave her rates for 4 day week (perfect scenerio - they stay but I still get Fridays off!!!). She comes in and says they are going to stick with their regular 5 day schedule.

I need the money, but I was really looking forward to that 4 day work week for a while. I have been doing this for 13 years, I am getting tired of it. My kids are all in school (elementary thru HS) and I miss so much because I'm always home with daycare kids. I try not to get bent about parents being home while bringing their kids here, gave that fight up long ago - but it will bother me to have these kids and only these kids every friday knowing she got her fridays off without losing a dime of pay.

Interview is tonight. This is only one kid to replace 2 but am I crazy to think about turning around and telling current family that I don't want them full time anymore. Their notice has them leaving this week, but on Friday she still paid for the next 2 weeks (they knew they were staying but didn't give me the info about keeping it at 5 days till this morning).

How would I even explain this? Sorry so long, hope you could follow and please tell me what you would do in this situation!!!
Indoorvoice 05:56 AM 11-03-2014
I would just say that when they gave you notice, you already made arrangements to have a 4 day work week. Tell them that they can keep a mon-thurs spot or find new care. You already have one kid lined up so it wouldn't be too much of a burden. I would just keep interviewing for another mon-thurs child! It would be worth it to me to have one day off! To me it doesn't make sense to stay open for one family. It's a lot of extra cost for not a lot of extra $$.
Shell 05:58 AM 11-03-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
I would just say that when they gave you notice, you already made arrangements to have a 4 day work week. Tell them that they can keep a mon-thurs spot or find new care. You already have one kid lined up so it wouldn't be too much of a burden. I would just keep interviewing for another mon-thurs child! It would be worth it to me to have one day off! To me it doesn't make sense to stay open for one family. It's a lot of extra cost for not a lot of extra $$.
I would love a four day work week!
Baby Beluga 05:59 AM 11-03-2014
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I would consider the following:

1) Is a 4 day work week worth the temporary decrease in income?

2) Is this family a good fit for you and your program? Have you ever considered terming them before?

If you have considered them terming them before then I would just look at this as a gift and let her go. If not, then I would tell mom that after she gave notice you decided to make a few business changes and one of those changes is to provide 4 day per week care M-T as care on Fridays is very rarely needed by your families. Tell her you would be happy to take her children but only on a 4 day per week schedule. Perhaps you could offer her occasional Friday care at a higher drop-in rate?

I am guessing she will likely fuss and take her children elsewhere. If she is getting the same salary for 4 days or work, she is likely going to want to take Friday as her day.
CraftyMom 06:05 AM 11-03-2014
In another thread a while ago some one put it better than I can, but basically once they gave their notice you made other arrangements. Their situation changed again, you do not HAVE to accommodate them. THEIR plans changed again, not yours! Do what works for you! Sounds like a 4 day week would give you a much needed break, even if its only temporary
VTMom 06:10 AM 11-03-2014
I'd go this route too if I could afford it.

So why should you give up your opportunity to have Fridays off and dedicated to YOUR family, so she can have Fridays off to not have her own kids? I think that would build resentment in me. It's not worth it.
CraftyMom 06:10 AM 11-03-2014
I think this is the thread I'm thinking of

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ng+back+notice
Laurel 06:18 AM 11-03-2014

Most likely she'll stay anyway. I'd take the chance and do it. She could always get someone else (maybe grandma) to watch the kids occasionally on Friday if she wants a day off.
Meyou 06:18 AM 11-03-2014
I would offer the old family a 4 day per week schedule and tell them Fridays are no longer available. If they don't accept I would take the new family.
Laurel 06:19 AM 11-03-2014
Oops, I meant to quote altandra in my last post.
Laurel 06:20 AM 11-03-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I would offer the old family a 4 day per week schedule and tell them Fridays are no longer available. If they don't accept I would take the new family.

Crazy8 06:25 AM 11-03-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I would consider the following:

1) Is a 4 day work week worth the temporary decrease in income?

2) Is this family a good fit for you and your program? Have you ever considered terming them before?

If you have considered them terming them before then I would just look at this as a gift and let her go. If not, then I would tell mom that after she gave notice you decided to make a few business changes and one of those changes is to provide 4 day per week care M-T as care on Fridays is very rarely needed by your families. Tell her you would be happy to take her children but only on a 4 day per week schedule. Perhaps you could offer her occasional Friday care at a higher drop-in rate?

I am guessing she will likely fuss and take her children elsewhere. If she is getting the same salary for 4 days or work, she is likely going to want to take Friday as her day.
Funny you ask if I have ever thought of terming them. YES, yes I have. Mostly over the extra half hour I have them in the afternoons. I was all set to term them last summer but then 2 of my families left (one moved, other decided to do preschool a year early) so I kept this family on. Not only are they my latest family but they are 5-8 minutes late at least a few times a week. I finally buckled down on charging them the late fees but I don't want the money - I want to be done working on time AND I am already working that extra half hour just for them.
So, yes, I have thought about terming them before, many times.
CraftyMom 06:27 AM 11-03-2014
Originally Posted by VTMom:
I'd go this route too if I could afford it.

So why should you give up your opportunity to have Fridays off and dedicated to YOUR family, so she can have Fridays off to not have her own kids? I think that would build resentment in me. It's not worth it.

Crazy8 06:28 AM 11-03-2014
Thank you all for the speedy replies!!! I guess I can't do anything until after my interview tonight but I like the idea of telling them that when they gave notice I reevaluated my program and LOVE the thought that its really not cost effective for me to be open on Fridays. There isn't a huge difference in my 4 day to 5 day rates, so of course they'd choose the 5 days.

I am worried though, the thought of losing 2 full time kids is scary.
taylorw1210 06:38 AM 11-03-2014
Exactly this! If the family wants to stay with you bad enough, they will adjust to the 4 day a week schedule - especially since she isn't working on Fridays. If she doesn't like it, oh well. I would butter up the deal for the family you are interviewing for the Mon-Thurs spot - IF you like them, to try to secure their enrollment for your own financial security. Such as offering their first week at a discount or offering a "rebate" after their trial period. This could possibly make the difference in whether or not you are able to quickly enroll them.
sugar buzz 07:02 AM 11-03-2014
4 DAY WORK WEEK! I found it a little more challenging to balance my own SA children because they're not really part of my daycare anymore. When they were younger, they were involved in all my activities--now, they keep themselves more separate. I'm not working today, and we get to go shopping right after school. That's a huge deal for us because I spent so many years working until
5:30-6:00, so freedom at 2:30 is exciting for all of us!
VTMom 07:09 AM 11-03-2014
As of this week, I do not have any daycare kids on Fridays! I'm also nervous about the decrease in income. What I've decided to do is substitute teach at our local elementary school on Fridays (after enjoying a couple free Fridays). I'll have the flexibility to set my schedule based on my availability, earn some money, and work during the same hours my own kids are in school. Just a thought...
taylorw1210 07:44 AM 11-03-2014
I just want to say I'm so jealous! I wish I could work it so I have a 3 day weekend every week!
TaylorTots 10:13 AM 11-03-2014
I agree with a couple previous comments - I would tell her you already made arrangements to fill the spots and are moving to 4 day workweek effective immediately. She can only keep the spots if she wants the 4 day week -- you are closed all Fridays. If not, you have interviews lined up already and will consider this her "new" 2 week notice
Crazy8 10:15 AM 11-03-2014
Originally Posted by sugar buzz:
4 DAY WORK WEEK! I found it a little more challenging to balance my own SA children because they're not really part of my daycare anymore. When they were younger, they were involved in all my activities--now, they keep themselves more separate. I'm not working today, and we get to go shopping right after school. That's a huge deal for us because I spent so many years working until
5:30-6:00, so freedom at 2:30 is exciting for all of us!
Yes, this is exactly how I feel - when they were a part of the daycare things were soooo much easier. This past summer they were miserable, and I really thought of trying to get summers off (maybe taking only teachers all year?) but if I know I have fridays off AND I can take my vacation days during the summer I think we could make it work so much better than this year.

Part time care is easier to fill than full time anyway, I just have to find the people who don't need Fridays!!!

I don't think this family will stay for M-Th but maybe they'll surprise me.
CraftyMom 10:34 AM 11-03-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

I don't think this family will stay for M-Th but maybe they'll surprise me.
Why not? Mom has Fridays off now, right? I know some people like to bring the kids to daycare anyway, but maybe it's only because she has the option right now (or thinks she does) and it doesn't cost much more than what she would pay for 4 days. Once you tell her she may be fine with it
Play Care 10:48 AM 11-03-2014
I had Fridays off over the summer and it was HEAVENLY!!

And really, where else can you give notice and try to rescind it? Most employers wouldn't accept it, or if they did they would have a mark on you (don't be surprised to be the first one to be laid off)
Good Luck!
melilley 11:10 AM 11-03-2014

Pro 4 day work week!!! I'm jealous!
Blackcat31 02:22 PM 11-03-2014
Thank you all for the speedy replies!!! I guess I can't do anything until after my interview tonight but I like the idea of telling them that when they gave notice I reevaluated my program and LOVE the thought that its really not cost effective for me to be open on Fridays. There isn't a huge difference in my 4 day to 5 day rates, so of course they'd choose the 5 days.

Your relief was soooo noticeable when you posted about this before (having a shorter work week) that you would be crazy to not do the above...

Let them stay but ONLY at 4 days or at your earlier close time.
AuntTami 02:42 PM 11-03-2014
I think you hit the nail right on the head with the above. If there isn't a huge price difference, of COURSE they're going to go with 5 days. Why not pay that extra $20 and have the whole day to do whatever we want to do? Ugh Heaven Forbid we spend that time with our kid!

I would definitely tell her that you can't do Friday's anymore. If you're really concerned about her pulling them, you could tell her you'll do Fridays, but for an astronomical additional fee or something... "When you put notice, I reevaluated my program. I am no longer going to be open on Fridays, and therefore, I can only offer you a 4 day program instead of 5. Now, if this is truly an issue, I would be willing to care for JUST your children on Fridays, however it would be at a rate of xxx dollars, in addition to your weekly rate of xxx"

Maybe I'm just feeling really spiteful tonight! I don't think I'd actually say that, but it sounded good in my head!

I would DEFINITELY tell her you can't keep a 5 day schedule, you've gone to a 4 day week. Good luck!
rosieteddy 02:55 PM 11-03-2014
Do not give up the day off on fridays.Tell the parent that for the time being you are only open 4 days. I would explain that she gave notice and you changed the program and are interviewing for 4 day weeks.Just as she is thrilled to have a 4 day week you are.I would tell her that if after a few months it doesn't work out you may add Fridays.I would add for a higher daily cost though. This is your life and though we need to make money we also need some time.
TaylorTots 03:53 PM 11-03-2014
Let us know how the interview goes!!
taylorw1210 05:23 AM 11-04-2014
How did your interview go last night?
Crazy8 06:06 AM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
How did your interview go last night?
It seemed to go well. They had gotten my name from a former client so I came "highly recommended" but the child is almost the age where kids start leaving me for a preschool and I am wondering if the parents are looking for more of a preschool environment than I provide (I am more play based).

Still not sure I should make the leap with current dc family, will have to confront them soon but still waiting for her to bring me the new contract back.
cheerfuldom 06:20 AM 11-04-2014
Make the leap.

Daycare would be a lot more tolerable if we worked regular hours instead of 50 or 60 a week. Do yourself the favor and make this leap. You know these parents do not NEED the five days.
lovemykidstoo 06:42 AM 11-04-2014
I switched from a 5 day to a 4 day years ago and love it. I was down to just 1 child on Fridays and then mom came one day and was all excited because she was only going to be working a 1/2 a day on Fridays. I got excited too thinking I would only be working 1/2 day on friday too until she said oh no, I'll still keep him here until 5:30. They were the kind too that it was right at 5:30 not 5:29 even. I said oh Hell no. She got out at 11:00 on Fridays, so I compromised and kept him till 1:00. After he went to school I didn't take any others on Fridays and helped at my kids schools instead. I really have only turned away a couple of families over the years that absolutely needed Fridays. If she is not working at all on Friday and you can afford it, don't do it. If you can't afford it, maybe do a 1/2 day.
taylorw1210 06:51 AM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Make the leap.

Daycare would be a lot more tolerable if we worked regular hours instead of 50 or 60 a week. Do yourself the favor and make this leap. You know these parents do not NEED the five days.
I agree, 100%. If the dcf NEEDED those 5 days because of her work schedule, I would understand not changing. However, you are going to deeply resent the fact that you have only her 2 kids on Fridays when you know she is at home relaxing and you could be doing the same.

I would be afraid of the loss of income, too, but sometimes our sanity is much more valuable by tightening our belts for a little bit until we can enroll a family that fits well.
Crazy8 12:48 PM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I agree, 100%. If the dcf NEEDED those 5 days because of her work schedule, I would understand not changing. However, you are going to deeply resent the fact that you have only her 2 kids on Fridays when you know she is at home relaxing and you could be doing the same.

I would be afraid of the loss of income, too, but sometimes our sanity is much more valuable than tightening our belts for a little bit until we can enroll a family that fits well.
I know you are all right, but everyone in my "real life" (read non-daycare providers) tells me I'm crazy for even considering it. Even my husband, who is always so supportive of whatever I want to do, doesn't think this is a good idea.
Ughhh!!!
lovemykidstoo 01:08 PM 11-04-2014
I know you are all right, but everyone in my "real life" (read non-daycare providers) tells me I'm crazy for even considering it. Even my husband, who is always so supportive of whatever I want to do, doesn't think this is a good idea.
Ughhh!!!
They think you're crazy for considering NOT working on Friday while mom goes and does whatever? Really? I thought they would be saying you're crazy for watching her kids while she was off work
Crazy8 04:01 AM 11-11-2014
Update: Have been afraid to update thinking something might change but I took the suggestions above and told dcm that after she gave notice and I started to interview other possible clients I decided that I was going to change to a 4 day week and was going to be closed Fridays. I told her I understand her still wanting 5 day a week care and if that's the case then she needs to resubmit her notice. She totally backpedalled saying no, no, no, she doesn't need the fridays, her husband wanted her to keep them so she could catch up at home, etc. etc. I explained its just not cost effective for me to be open on Fridays and since there is more of a demand for part time care I am able to fill the openings and still be closed on fridays (pretty much a lie because the one person I interviewed never called back). I explained she will be saving a few hundred dollars a month and get to spend that valuable extra day with her children.

I was (and still am) afraid she'd come back after a few days and give notice all over again but so far that hasn't happend, we'll see after she has a few fridays with her kids. And if it does happen I will just advertise like crazy and try to get a few part timers in here.

Soooo… this week is my first 4 day week so I can't wait till 5pm on Thursday!!!
taylorw1210 04:35 AM 11-11-2014
Update: Have been afraid to update thinking something might change but I took the suggestions above and told dcm that after she gave notice and I started to interview other possible clients I decided that I was going to change to a 4 day week and was going to be closed Fridays. I told her I understand her still wanting 5 day a week care and if that's the case then she needs to resubmit her notice. She totally backpedalled saying no, no, no, she doesn't need the fridays, her husband wanted her to keep them so she could catch up at home, etc. etc. I explained its just not cost effective for me to be open on Fridays and since there is more of a demand for part time care I am able to fill the openings and still be closed on fridays (pretty much a lie because the one person I interviewed never called back). I explained she will be saving a few hundred dollars a month and get to spend that valuable extra day with her children.

I was (and still am) afraid she'd come back after a few days and give notice all over again but so far that hasn't happend, we'll see after she has a few fridays with her kids. And if it does happen I will just advertise like crazy and try to get a few part timers in here.

Happy for you! I sure wish I was able to swing 4 day work weeks!
daycarediva 04:45 AM 11-11-2014

Lucky duck! Enjoy the 3 day weekends!!!
Blackcat31 05:32 AM 11-11-2014
Good for you!!

Definitely jealous of your long weekends!!

I am sure it was a hard decision to make but one that is MORE than worth it!!

I'm also glad to hear you say, you'll start advertising for new clients if mom changes her mind verses just saying you'll end up having to be open 5 days a week if she changes her mind.
Crazy8 06:46 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Good for you!!

Definitely jealous of your long weekends!!

I am sure it was a hard decision to make but one that is MORE than worth it!!

I'm also glad to hear you say, you'll start advertising for new clients if mom changes her mind verses just saying you'll end up having to be open 5 days a week if she changes her mind.
I figured it out and I really think I could swing having a few part timers in place of them so that is what is driving my decision for right now. If I found all I could get are full timers I would go back to the Fridays, but for right now I want the break and I'm taking it!!! And I just kept putting it back on them that they were terming me, now I'm making my decisions based on what *I* want for my business.
Reply Up