Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Irritated with DCM
Maggie 10:45 AM 02-06-2015
Yesterday 8 yo dcb was playing with 18 month dcb. 18 month old grabbed the necklace of 8 yo and it broke. I told him to put the pieces somewhere safe and maybe his mom can fix it. This morning at breakfast I asked him if mom was able to fix it he said no and she was mad and thinks 18 month olds mom should buy him a new one. I really want to say something to her or hang up a reminder about not being responsible for anything brought from home or even hang a sign saying for liability reasons jewelry is no longer allowed. I know I should just let it go but it just really pi**ed me off.
melilley 10:49 AM 02-06-2015
I would be p'd off too!
Accidents happen, dcm shouldn't have let him wear it then.
Play Care 11:27 AM 02-06-2015
It would depend on the DCM.

If she was typically a good client I probably would let it go unless she said something first.

If she's a difficult client I would verbally address it "DCM, Susie said she was upset about her necklace being broken. While I sympathized with her, I reminded her that necklaces are not good at day care and probably shouldn't be worn (or whatever your policy is)." If she asks to be reimbursed I would remind her of my policy that states I am not responsible for lost/broken items from home.

This way you are getting your point across without accusing mom of anything (cause the child may have been exaggerating or even lying) I know my 8 and 9 year old kids have repeated things I've said to them/in front of them but in ways that made it seem much worse than what I meant or intended.
Rockgirl 11:30 AM 02-06-2015
I wouldn't say anything to dcm. If she brings it up, that would be the time to say something about not being responsible. There's a chance she was just venting when she found out about the broken necklace.
Shell 02:59 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I wouldn't say anything to dcm. If she brings it up, that would be the time to say something about not being responsible. There's a chance she was just venting when she found out about the broken necklace.
I've had something similar happen in the past, and I have said something along the lines of, "dcg was really upset her necklace broke, but I told her it probably wasn't a good idea to wear something around babies that can break"...I address the child as I'm saying the last part, and I think it gets the point across to the mom.
Starburst 07:16 PM 02-06-2015
I just noticed the OP said DCB and everyone is using a feminine reference for examples to DCK.
Josiegirl 05:25 AM 02-07-2015
It depends on my relationship with the dcm. At first, I'd probably feel upset but it was most likely a knee-jerk reaction to finding out her ds's necklace was broken.
I have it in my policies to not bring special or treasured things to dc due to the risk of them getting broken or lost. I tell the dcks too. If they don't want to share or have it end up broken, it's best to put it in their cubby.

I do NOT understand why dcps allow their kids to bring things like that, in the first place. I know. I know. I allow it to come in.
Unregistered 10:08 AM 02-07-2015
If a child comes in to daycare with a necklace, ring, bracelet I have that child take it off and put it in their cubby. I give it back to them at the end of the day. Little pieces of beads and such are choking hazards. I have it in my handbook a list of things a child can bring to daycare, and if anything breaks I am not liable.
Rockgirl 02:44 PM 02-07-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I just noticed the OP said DCB and everyone is using a feminine reference for examples to DCK.
I only see one, and I took it as a hypothetical "here's what I would do".
Play Care 11:56 AM 02-08-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I'm not sure why it matters?
I know I put Susie, but like another poster said it was more of a hypothetical conversation... It's not as if switching the gender made my advice invalid.
Maggie 03:42 AM 02-09-2015
I decided that if I had the opportunity at pickup I would remind her that I have little ones here and its probably best if dcb doesn't bring or wear anything that he's worried about being broken. Well I didn't have the opportunity. She came in with a bag and said I need to use your bathroom. She comes out ten minutes later in different clothes, no big deal she's done that before. But then says to her son, in front of another dcp and his two little girls, "I have bad news J, grandma and grandpa had to put their dog down today." I gave her a look and said this is not the appropriate time or place for that conversation. She seemed irritated and said let's go J. No goodbye no have a good weekend just left.
Play Care 04:16 AM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by Maggie:
I decided that if I had the opportunity at pickup I would remind her that I have little ones here and its probably best if dcb doesn't bring or wear anything that he's worried about being broken. Well I didn't have the opportunity. She came in with a bag and said I need to use your bathroom. She comes out ten minutes later in different clothes, no big deal she's done that before. But then says to her son, in front of another dcp and his two little girls, "I have bad news J, grandma and grandpa had to put their dog down today." I gave her a look and said this is not the appropriate time or place for that conversation. She seemed irritated and said let's go J. No goodbye no have a good weekend just left.
If this is just a SA dck, I would probably give my "Timmy has outgrown my dc" speech (or letter) It is WEIRD that she changes at your house And telling the child about the dog that way? She sounds like a real gem.
Reply Up