Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Make The Exception?
daycare 05:06 PM 02-23-2015
I have a dck that is going on second dosage of antibiotics due to ear infection.

DCP tells me this morning that one of the side effects of the meds are diarrhea. I have not seen a doc note, but I do believe the parent.

Kid has had 5 episodes of the runs today. Would you demand a doc note to allow to stay or allow a copy of the meds side effects and stay?

would you allow them to stay even though I know the cause, but don't have any documentation to follow it up???
jenboo 05:10 PM 02-23-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a dck that is going on second dosage of antibiotics due to ear infection.

DCP tells me this morning that one of the side effects of the meds are diarrhea. I have not seen a doc note, but I do believe the parent.

Kid has had 5 episodes of the runs today. Would you demand a doc note to allow to stay or allow a copy of the meds side effects and stay?

would you allow them to stay even though I know the cause, but don't have any documentation to follow it up???
If the runs are containable (diaper or toilet) I would let the child stay. I get the runs a lot due to different things and it's not because I'm sick.
If you think the parents are lying, then have them bring in a copy of the side effects to put on file.
CraftyMom 05:18 PM 02-23-2015
If he is potty trained and is making it to the toilet every time then I might let him stay. If he is having accidents then no. If he is in a diaper then heck no! I wouldn't want to change all those nasty diapers all day!
Shell 05:20 PM 02-23-2015
Ugh! I had this same scenario with the family I termed about a month ago!
I was on the fence about it- dcm got all defensive because it was a side effect of the meds, she would give dcg more "probiotics" and rice, yada, yada.
Two full weeks of diarrhea at each diaper change, dcg then developed a yeast infection...oh, and poop leaked all over my carpet!
If I could do it over again- NO way!!! Just my two cents
daycare 05:21 PM 02-23-2015
Do you think that telling DCP if they bring me the documentation that is sent with the meds from the doctor (side affects, instructions of useage, etc)

that I will allow the dck to come as long as it's no more than 3 times a day??
Shell 05:26 PM 02-23-2015
Honestly, it made me angry to have to deal with that many diarrhea diapers! I understood why, but really felt there would be no way I would make someone else do that for my child.
I would get the note and limit it to three like you are saying. It's unfair to expect you to change all those diapers- you have other kids and can't spend all day diapering, sanitizing, etc.
Kabob 05:49 PM 02-23-2015
Antibiotics give my kids runny stool too...but certain antibiotics are easier on their tummies than others. I once asked my son's dr to switch to a different antibiotic midway through due to the extreme rash and diarrhea he got from it...took longer to finish his antibiotics but it was worth it.

Maybe they need a different antibiotic?

Maybe they need to add more probiotics?

I would exclude for 2 or more episodes of diarrhea. I have carpet and furniture and more importantly, sanitary conditions to maintain. Also, a child can get really dehydrated with that much diarrhea.

If it is contained and you are comfortable dealing with the situation, then you can give it a shot.

I had to give both my 9 month old and 3 yo antibiotics recently for ear infections so I know it is tough as a parent.

I get both sides.

I'd do what works for the group and your business.
Starburst 06:03 PM 02-23-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
If the runs are containable (diaper or toilet) I would let the child stay. I get the runs a lot due to different things and it's not because I'm sick.
If you think the parents are lying, then have them bring in a copy of the side effects to put on file.

There are lots of chronic conditions that can cause diarrhea that aren't contagious or mean they are sick (IBS, food sensitivity, lactose intolerance, change of diet) I've been on antibiotics recently and it definitely changes digestion habits. There is bacteria in your stomach so it will take some of the good bacteria with the bad.

I would also ask them how long he has to take it for and if after a week it off the meds it doesn't change I would consider a doctors note. I would just tell them (and other parents) that in the future you will need a doctor's note if the child will be on antibiotics Or medications that can cause diarrhea.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 06:15 PM 02-23-2015
My nephew has constant ear infections. He even has tubes but now that he is almost 2 they are falling out. He now has to have surgery again next month, but is on ear drop antibiotic along with an oral one. He has to take it till his surgery to keep the ear infection away. He has had a bunch of runny diapers because of the medication. I feel so bad for him. I totally understand your concern though because stomach bug is also going around in some areas. I would just ask mom the name of the antibiotic and Google the side effects. It will take a few minutes of your time and then you'll know.
nannyde 06:44 PM 02-23-2015
Is it Omnicef?
Unregistered 07:08 PM 02-23-2015
Don't you exclude for symptoms and not diagnosis?
daycare 07:32 PM 02-23-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Is it Omnicef?
I have not been told the type of medication but told them I need to know Timorrow or no drop off.
daycare 07:34 PM 02-23-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Normally symptoms. And you bring a valid point. I could be the meds it could be a flu virus.
nanglgrl 11:55 PM 02-23-2015
I would send home for diarrhea no matter the cause. If it leaks out of the diaper 1x here I send home. It's a rare occurrence because my clients usually keep their kids home.
Even if it's caused by an antibiotic aren't there still all sorts of bacteria feces that if missed during sanitizing can give anyone who comes in contact with it diarrhea and possibly vomiting, tummy ache etc?
Blackcat31 05:12 AM 02-24-2015
Exactly what I was going to say.

I could have documented proof from the best medical professional in the world that it is simply a side effect from the meds but like Shell basically said, who cares?!

It's diarrhea and I am sorry but there is no way I would deal with having to manage that during the my already busy day.

Diarrhea is a symptom (from what it moot) and that symptom is excludable according to my policies.
Second Home 06:57 AM 02-24-2015
Our regs require us to send a child home if they have diarrhea. The reason why they have it does not matter . I must follow my state regs .

And there is no guarantee the meds are the cause . How many time have many of us heard the loose stools are from teething , allergies , medicine etc... and then the next week others have caught the allergies .
AmyKidsCo 07:13 AM 02-24-2015
My thoughts exactly. It doesn't matter why the symptoms are there, they are there so the child should be excluded. In this situation it's a sanitation/health issue.
Tags:medication - policy
Reply Up