Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Logo Wording - Which Sounds Better?
Baby Beluga 09:29 AM 07-14-2016
I am in the process of redoing my logo.

Currently it says " daycare and preschool" I am thinking of changing it to say "family childcare and preschool"

I serve children ages 12 months (siblings of those already enrolled) OR 18 months - 5 years for those who do not already have enrolled siblings. I provide childcare and a play based preschool curriculum. I like the wording "family childcare and preschool" because I think it is more descriptive of what I do. However, in my area "family childcare" isn't a term I ever hear. I always hear "daycare, childcare, preschool and pre-kindergarten."

So....my options thus far are:

"daycare and preschool"
"family childcare and preschool"
"childcare and preschool"

Any thoughts? Or other ideas for more appropriate wording?
CalCare 10:23 AM 07-14-2016
Using "daycare" sounds unprofessional to me since we learned what our professors consider the appropriate terms (childcare and childcare provider) in our very first ECE class.

I'm sure this could spark a huge debate which I don't really want to do! So, before that starts- yes, there are many professionals that have more education and experience than I, that use the word "daycare", And yes, some people in fcc, don't have any intention of being ECE people and prefer to "do daycare" (I think NannyD once asked me, snidely, if I even "do daycare" to which I responded "no, I provide childcare" lol) I'm just answering for myself and I know I may be the only one with this opinion. No need to debate me.

CalCare 10:31 AM 07-14-2016
oh also- I think "Family childcare" can be confusing to families who don't know the terms. I would just say "childcare".
melilley 11:10 AM 07-14-2016
I always say I'm a Family Child Care provider. Daycare can mean kids or adults imo.
Also, if you're play based, do you want "preschool" in your title? Just a thought.
Blackcat31 11:27 AM 07-14-2016
Mine says "Blackcat's Child Care and Learning Center"

I refrained from using the word "preschool" because I am playbased and because I do NOT want parents thinking I am going to teach their kids academics. I do but within the context of play. I don't do work sheets or any type of cookie cutter craft or canned curriculum.
AmyKidsCo 11:27 AM 07-14-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
oh also- I think "Family childcare" can be confusing to families who don't know the terms. I would just say "childcare".
I disagree. If you're a family child care you should say so, otherwise parents will assume you're a group center. There will still be some who don't get it, but that won't be because you weren't clear.
NightOwl 12:59 PM 07-14-2016
Or throw the word "home" in there. Home Childcare and preschool. I've always loved the word "playschool" to indicate that I am play based.
Baby Beluga 01:14 PM 07-14-2016
Such good input here - thank you!

I also considered replacing the word "preschool" for the same reason a PP mentioned. I am not a typical "preschool." I have a curriculum, weekly themes, learning goals, social goals, etc...but present it all in a play based way. I had considered using "learning center" but worried parents would think I was an actual center and not an in-home.

Who would have thought these few words could hold so much power
Reply Up