Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Keeps Talking Going to a New School
sahm1225 08:34 AM 05-07-2018
Dcb is 3 (turns 4 late Fall), has brought it up before and dcmsaid she was just exploring options for the fall but will keep me informed. I’ve been just saying ‘okay’ when dcb bringsitvup. Today during breakfast, dcb starts saying his goodbyes . The other kids are confused and keep asking questions and he tells them loudly that he will miss them but mommy said he doesn’t have to come here. Do I ask dcm again or tell her he’s saying his goodbyes? The last time, he was upset and crying saying he didn’t want to leave (around February), which is what prompted me asking dcm.
Unregistered 08:41 AM 05-07-2018
I just had this kind of thing happen to me. Dcm told me dcg(4) was going to be going to a 5 day all day next Sept. So, I committed to a new family in Sept. Last night I found out my current family with dcg(4) is not going to the 5 day all day pre k and they apparently assume I am here at their disposal. It is a big mess
daycarediva 09:25 AM 05-07-2018
Obviously the child is hearing this somewhere. I would ask Mom again, but be ready for her to deny and then give notice late august.

I do NOT understand the parents telling the child so SOON. He/she does not understand that September is so far away.
sharlan 09:44 AM 05-07-2018
I recently found out dcm enrolled dcg in another district for August. I thought she enrolled here in Feb, but obviously didn't.

I wouldn't have known but dcg told me she went to her new school.

I don't understand, just tell me.
Snowmom 10:13 AM 05-07-2018
Normally I wouldn't give a hoot. But when they're making a production out of it, yes, I'd address it casually to the parents. That way, I know how I want to approach it during daycare hours when the drama unfolds again.
amberrose3dg 01:43 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Dcb is 3 (turns 4 late Fall), has brought it up before and dcmsaid she was just exploring options for the fall but will keep me informed. I’ve been just saying ‘okay’ when dcb bringsitvup. Today during breakfast, dcb starts saying his goodbyes . The other kids are confused and keep asking questions and he tells them loudly that he will miss them but mommy said he doesn’t have to come here. Do I ask dcm again or tell her he’s saying his goodbyes? The last time, he was upset and crying saying he didn’t want to leave (around February), which is what prompted me asking dcm.
I'd start interviewing and being prepared for them to leave. The kid isn't pulling it out of the air.
Ariana 04:06 PM 05-07-2018
I would tell mom what DCB is saying and ask her what is going on. I would also tell her that I do not want to be left high and dry but that I know kids can talk and wanted to know from her what is really going on.

Normally I would not care but this DCB would be driving me insane with his dramatics!!
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 05-08-2018
This wouldn't bother me other than DCB hyper focused on ONE TOPIC. I would simply tell him to talk about something else and then I would change the subject.

I wouldn't ask mom and I totally understand why she wouldn't say anything too far in advance.... read any forum and the second someone posts that a family "might" be leaving or their child says they are leaving and the automatic standard advice is "Term before they term you." type of advice. (which I NEVER agree with...but that's just me)

My thoughts are curb the "I don't have to come here anymore" or "I have a new school" talk from DCB and just wait until the family submits notice of withdrawal according to your policies.

If you feel that will negatively impact your ability to fill the space then the only thing you can do is revamp your withdrawal policies to give you more time to fill the space.

That's my 2 cents...
BrynleeJean 10:48 AM 05-08-2018
i had this happen with a little DCG. Shed practically brag about her new school to her daycare friends and it would upset them and she would brush them off saying nope I'm leaving and going to have new friends, it would upset them. id just tell her aside from others I'm very happy for you but you can't keep telling your friends its making them sad thats not nice.
i figured moms an adult and read my contract and will give me notice when time comes and she did.
she left only for two weeks then came back because my care was more sufficient that others in my area at which point she lost her lock in rate and was charged $20 more a week and happy to pay it for the care.
i wouldn't worry about it unless the parent seems flakey and seems like you need to approach her prematurely.
i did have one leave no notice and not pay last two weeks. my first family to come and to go. learning experience for me.
sahm1225 12:20 PM 05-08-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This wouldn't bother me other than DCB hyper focused on ONE TOPIC. I would simply tell him to talk about something else and then I would change the subject.

I wouldn't ask mom and I totally understand why she wouldn't say anything too far in advance.... read any forum and the second someone posts that a family "might" be leaving or their child says they are leaving and the automatic standard advice is "Term before they term you." type of advice. (which I NEVER agree with...but that's just me)

My thoughts are curb the "I don't have to come here anymore" or "I have a new school" talk from DCB and just wait until the family submits notice of withdrawal according to your policies.

If you feel that will negatively impact your ability to fill the space then the only thing you can do is revamp your withdrawal policies to give you more time to fill the space.

That's my 2 cents...
That’s my thought. I just wish the mom would just say something. They’ve been with me long enough to know I don’t term before they leave. If they think back, o made them Wait an extra month to start because I had a kid aging out and they weren’t due to leave until the end of the month.

Today, Dcb asked me why he has to leave and i just said when kids get older they go to different schools, but we’ll always be friends
Tags:client looking for other daycare, kids say the strangest things
Reply Up