Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Rash
Ariana 10:40 AM 10-31-2019
I just started a 16 month old who is getting constant diaper rashes. At first I thought the parents were crazy to even mention it because of a little redness but this past week her poops are super acidic and the redness is worse. If she poops during nap it is really bad (she does not wakeup).

She only eats muffins, breads and fruit at my house and snacky type things. No meat, no veggies. She is apparently the same way at home.

What could be causing this? New foods? They are taking her to the DR today (DR will prescribe the obligatory steroid cream) so want some actual ideas on how to fix it since she is with me 10 hours per day.
jenboo 11:33 AM 10-31-2019
Raspberries or tomatoes? Possibly even milk?
Ariana 11:48 AM 10-31-2019
She is totally dairy free according to parents and she does not get it here for that reason. I am wondering if it is some sort of fructose sensitivity as well. Since she has started I have not served her any of those things. We have had other acidic foods like oranges though. I mentioned it to the parents but they are only with their kid 2 hours a day max so its up to me to figure it out I think
Ariana 06:07 AM 11-01-2019
So DR prescribed obligatory hydrocortisone cream which will make the rash worse as it always does. Ugh.

This rash is not even bad, just red from acidic poop.
knoxmomof2 07:48 AM 11-01-2019
Does she drink juice? Some kids are super sensitive to the acid in juice. Just dilute it in half with water if so.

Aquaphor is a great moisture protectant on bottoms, by the way. Baking soda soaks for the bottom. Might want to suggest them to Mom and Dad to soothe things in the meantime.
Leigh 11:00 AM 11-01-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
So DR prescribed obligatory hydrocortisone cream which will make the rash worse as it always does. Ugh.

This rash is not even bad, just red from acidic poop.
I make my own cream: 40% zinc oxide desitin, cortisone OINTMENT (not cream), terbinafine antifungal cream (equal parts all). I have the best luck with this, and I make large amounts and send it home with parents, too.
Tin Blues 11:29 AM 11-01-2019
Is she teething? My kids often got acidic poops that caused diaper rash when they were teething.
Baby Beluga 03:57 PM 11-01-2019
Originally Posted by Tin Blues:
Is she teething? My kids often got acidic poops that caused diaper rash when they were teething.
Mine also got terrible rashes when teething, or when they were in a reflux flair up.

Ariana, have you heard of resinol cream? It is hands down the best stuff ever and often the only thing that worked for me. I get mine off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Resinol-Medic...ol%2Caps%2C344
Ariana 07:10 PM 11-01-2019
Thanks all for the suggestion! Right now her bum looks much better. At every diaper change if she has not pooped I have been slathering it with Sudocreme. I have been lucky in that she has not pooped in two days during nap or outdoor time.

I also suspected teething and mom says she doesn’t think so. I truly think it is just a change in food and her body is not handling it well.

She does not get juice here at all so its not that. I have been choosing different fruits for her like Banana and grapes.

I wonder if I should get a probiotic for her? I really do think it is because she is eating more food and much more variety at my house. I have a strong suspicion she eats a lot of pouches and the like at home.
Annalee 06:40 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Thanks all for the suggestion! Right now her bum looks much better. At every diaper change if she has not pooped I have been slathering it with Sudocreme. I have been lucky in that she has not pooped in two days during nap or outdoor time.

I also suspected teething and mom says she doesn’t think so. I truly think it is just a change in food and her body is not handling it well.

She does not get juice here at all so its not that. I have been choosing different fruits for her like Banana and grapes.

I wonder if I should get a probiotic for her? I really do think it is because she is eating more food and much more variety at my house. I have a strong suspicion she eats a lot of pouches and the like at home.
I had a child like this with acidic poop and a red bottom all the time. Her family only ate organic. I found that odd. Plus they used the new brand cloth diapers. After many doctor visits, they found out that when she peed, it would mix with the detergent she was using for the diapers creating an acidic reaction for the child or mixing with the material the diapers were made from?. The doctor said it was almost like putting pure ammonia on the child's bottom. They changed to throw away diapers and she healed quickly. Just a thought!
Tags:16 month old, diaper rash
Reply Up