Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cost Effective Meals - New Ideas?
tinytotzdaycare 06:22 AM 11-13-2009
I didnt see this in any recent threads so I wanted to start one. I love switching up our monthly menus, I am looking for some new ideas. I was thinking we could all share a few of our dc favorites.

Here is my favorite as well as my DC Kiddos Favorite

Mini Meats

I make a batch of meatloaf but place them in muffin tins for the perfect portion size. Kids love them!! They also bake in a shorter time. I also add in frozen mixed veggies to these. It gets the veggies in and they really dont notice.
Chickenhauler 09:31 AM 11-13-2009
It's that time of year when soups really hit the spot (getting colder).

Start out with a cheaper cut of meat, and put it in the crock pot overnight with seasonings of your choice. Cook all night long on low. To help tenderize, you can add a can of Coke or some Molasses or citrus juice.

First thing after breakfast, tear up meat into small pieces (it will fall apart) and toss it in a large stewpot with taters, carrots, corn, peas, green beans, chopped onions, mushrooms, etc. Let the whole concoction simmer on low all day....good for lunch and supper.

I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but if you do this on a large scale (we use a 5 gallon stock pot), you can freeze some....and it goes a long, long ways.

Just be forewarned......it will make your entire house smell yummy, and you will find yourself "sampling" the product all day long.
tinytotzdaycare 09:52 AM 11-13-2009
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
It's that time of year when soups really hit the spot (getting colder).

Start out with a cheaper cut of meat, and put it in the crock pot overnight with seasonings of your choice. Cook all night long on low. To help tenderize, you can add a can of Coke or some Molasses or citrus juice.

First thing after breakfast, tear up meat into small pieces (it will fall apart) and toss it in a large stewpot with taters, carrots, corn, peas, green beans, chopped onions, mushrooms, etc. Let the whole concoction simmer on low all day....good for lunch and supper.

I know it sounds like a lot of stuff, but if you do this on a large scale (we use a 5 gallon stock pot), you can freeze some....and it goes a long, long ways.

Just be forewarned......it will make your entire house smell yummy, and you will find yourself "sampling" the product all day long.

Yummy, sounds great!
Unregistered 02:39 PM 11-13-2009
Chicken and Dumplings - so cheap and so yummy!
Love the meatloaf in a muffin tin...what a great idea...Thanks!
cuddlebuggz 05:57 AM 11-14-2009
One of the favs of the dc kids is the following:

Skinless/Boneless Chicken Breasts in a baking dish
Mix together Crm chicken soup/parmesean shaker cheese (I just eyeball it)

Poor soup mixture over chicken and bake!

Serve with mashed potatoes for a yummy lunch!!

If you make extra soup mixture you can then use it for a gravy on the potatoes.
lmdc 09:48 AM 11-14-2009
a few of our favorites include:

home made mac and cheese with spinach and fresh tomatoes...just make a little extra cheese sauce and stir in cooked spinach before tossing with pasta, and then add diced fresh tomatoes when serving

mediterranean pasta...leftover plain elbow pasta from mac n chz, tossed with a little butter, black olives, peas, tomatoes, shredded cheese, shredded chicken, and whatever other veggies you may have on hand...serve with a side of fruit =)

butternut squash soup (v8 brand or homemade) with brown rice, peas, carrots, and chicken added in

yummy!
cuddlebuggz 09:32 AM 11-16-2009
If you have older kiddos and no peanut allergies....

Grilled PB Sandwhiches are a great afterschool snack. Make them like grilled cheese but with PB inside..kids love them, serve with milk!
Tags:breakfast, dinner, food, lunch, menus, snacks
Reply Up