Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Makes Your Daycare Special?
Oneluckymom 12:26 PM 01-27-2012
I was wondering what you feel sets you apart from other home daycare's. We all provide a loving, warm environment for our children, but do you have something that you feel makes you different from the rest? A holistic environment, all organic, a defined curriculum, gardening everyday, etc.

I just feel from looking at some of the daycare's in the area that some how I'm not doing enough. First I was a mom and now a business owner running a daycare. I really want the best for the kids when they are here.

I do have a good selection of toys, we paint, color, etc.

I want a GREAT daycare like some of you already have, that will get people talking...
sharlan 12:41 PM 01-27-2012
What sets me apart is that I take the kids on outings. We don't get to go as much during the schoolyear, but we go 3 days a week during the summer.

During the summer we go to Raging Waters or an amusement park on Tues (changing to Mond this year). On Thursdays we go to the beach. On Fridays we go to museums or zoos.

I take the older kids camping once or twice during the summer.
Breezy 12:41 PM 01-27-2012
Well, I don't have anything super special but what I do have that sets me apart from others in this area (according to my DCPs) is as follows:

-Handbook that clearly states policies and expectations.
-A clean home
-No holes in the floor covered by rugs
-I don't transport children without their parents knowledge and consent.
-I don't leave my door unlocked so parents can come in without my knowledge and take their children without even seeing me.
-I offer extended hours on the weekends.

^^All of the above are things that my DCP's said they encountered when they were interviewing DOZENS of providers. And a couple of those are what they encountered placing their children with providers they thought seemed good! So I guess that's what makes me special (or at least means I have common sense)
WImom 12:53 PM 01-27-2012
~ Clean organized home
~ Preschool age only (2-5y)
~ Dedicated Space indoor and out just for the daycare (except the bathroom which will be changing soon)
Blackcat31 01:02 PM 01-27-2012
No other daycares in town have ME!

Sorry...

In all seriousness though I have found that what truly sets a provider apart from others is knowledge and understanding. I believe deeply in what I do and the rules and policies I have. I talk with parents during our interview about the things I believe in as far as raising and caring for children. For example, I don't just say I am a no TV/no batteries daycare, I talk with them about why I believe that.

I share with them what I believe and why I believe in it. I also think trust is the biggest element that is necessary to have a working relationship with clients. If I don't feel like I can trust a parent or that the parent trusts me then we are not a good fit.

I guess I could write forever about my philosophies and why I feel I am different that others. Do I think I am better? No. But I do think that there is something to be said for being able to find the right fit for what you want in your daycare families as a provider and finding a good fit for what you want as a parent. The ability to be able to find and recognize the families that are the right fit (from both angles) is what I think makes me different than other providers in my area.
dave4him 01:02 PM 01-27-2012
Well im a guy... thats always a great conversation starter.
I provide a fun and friendly family enviorment where we are not afraid to get dirty
The Bible is a big part of our lives here, though i am still trying to find ways to incorporate biblical teaching in a house full of toddlers.
Pretty much thats it
SilverSabre25 01:05 PM 01-27-2012
Apparently, largely the fact that I stay within the laws for my state and actually WATCH the children....not to mention the fact that I am good at getting them to nap, eat well, they don't come home smelling of fried foods, and apparently they learn stuff (though I'm honestly not sure how sometimes! :P)

I'm being a bit facetious, but really...two of my clients came to me having been in terrible situations before and these are some of the things their parents have said.
Countrygal 01:22 PM 01-27-2012
Kinda the same here, although I don't have a lot of experience yet.

No TV except educational videos, good, homecooked meals and snacks every day, outside time consistently, Productive time with the kids - I do crafts, games, songs, fingerplays, dancing, even just sit and play with them. Evidently, from what I've heard, that is a rarity in this area.

Basically, I don't think I'm all that special. I think anyone who loves doing it could do what I do. It's not strictly a business for me - it's a lifestyle.
Ariana 01:26 PM 01-27-2012
I think my knowledge and qualifications and my confidence in what I do and how I do it. Parents are usually very impressed with my handbook/contract.

I also have a large fenced backyard that backs onto a creek with lots of ducks, herons, mergansers, otters, beavers and birds. We also have a walking trail behind my house that leads to a park with a nice playstructure, sand and small wooded area. My house is smack dab in the middle of a city so it definately sets me apart!!

In terms of my ads I don't have grammer and spelling mistakes. That sets me apart big time
busymommy0420 01:43 PM 01-27-2012
The 3 pre-school families I work with love the field trips I do. I do them once or twice a week to places like the library, museums, toddler gym, parks and the zoo. Most other providers in my area do not offer field trips. My parents also love my daycare facebook page where I have hundred's of pictures of their children for them to view and print. This helps them feel apart of our activities. I also post about our day, post important information and message parents as needed. It is great and set to private. One last thing is my awesome playground area, fully fenced in with rubber mulch. Super safe and we spend hours outdoors which the parents appreciate.
SD DaycareMOM 02:21 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I was wondering what you feel sets you apart from other home daycare's.

I really want the best for the kids when they are here.

I want a GREAT daycare like some of you already have, that will get people talking...
Just the fact that you are asking this question puts you well on your way to being a stand-out daycare.

I personally feel that continuing to keep myself educated and well-informed in my field is what sets me apart. Staying fresh and not getting too set in my ways. I go to early childhood conferences/workshops, am always looking for new ideas of activities to do with the kids, I act professionally when interacting with the parents, and I just added a website where I post about 3 days a week for the parents to see photos (password protected if pics show faces) and a description of things we are doing. They love the website.

Just keep enjoying what you do and keep the best interest of the kids in mind, and you'll be great!
SunflowerMama 02:47 PM 01-27-2012
Wholesome meals, lots of organics
Lots of outdoor time and exercise
Great nappers
Cloth diapers provided for all kids in diapers
Use almost exclusively (minus what is required by our sate) natural and chemical free products throughout the home
Weekly blog
Christian curriculum
I'm also licensed and have my Masters Degree
kidkair 03:00 PM 01-27-2012
My main advertising difference is the amount of time I have the kids outside. I get them out as much as possible and have windows wide open during the warmer months so they get all the fresh air they can. Second advertising point is absolutely no screen time and absolutely no electronic toys. I also have a dedicated toy room, dining room, coat room, and 1/2 bath. I cook as much from scratch as I have figured out thus far and we grow our own food too. I interact with the kids and they learn a bunch from self help and respect to numbers and colors. Lastly I keep the group small and don't go for having a ratio full daycare.
JenNJ 03:04 PM 01-27-2012
I offer homemade meals, I use natural cleaners, I am willing to work with cloth diapers. Beautiful, large, fully fenced backyard with a playground and tons of room to run. REALLY convenient location. I am a former preschool teacher. I am consistent with discipline and all the kids that go here have excellent manners. I have a separate large daycare room used exclusively for the kids. Most importantly, LOTS and LOTS of happy, satisfied past and present clients.
Childminder 03:26 PM 01-27-2012
Years of experience
Open extended hours
Family atmosphere-Your child is treated as a family member
Wonderful daycare space
Dependable-I will be here for your child
Home cooked nutritious meals-I am an awesome cook
Constantly updating program and education
The baby whisperer-I can get any baby to relax and stop crying
Unregistered 04:47 PM 01-27-2012
I think that the thing that sets me apart is that when potential clients meet me for an interview, I make sure that they know that I don't offer an educational program in the same manner that they would find it elsewhere. It doesn't mean that children won't learn here. It's not my strong suit and I acknowledge it but I don't make any apologies for it. It's just not something that I have the skills to do or the desire to do. If that's what a family is looking for in a provider, then I'm not the right choice for them. What I do offer is a creative learning experience for the kids in my care. It has to be that way with me or I know that I won't be able to have my heart in my profession. None of this makes me better...just different!
Sunchimes 06:45 PM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I can get any baby to relax and stop crying
Do you make housecalls?
Sunchimes 08:20 PM 01-27-2012
Size, nurturing, and flexible hours.

I never have more than 3, and most days only 1 or 2, so they get a lot of attention. Very little has to be regimented "for the good of the other kids".

We treat the kids like grand kids. One time, we even took one to our family reunion, where she was promptly adopted into the family. I have time to really get to know the kids and their families. I even have a tendency to nurture the parents. I get aggravated at them sometimes, but they are nice kids. One almost spent Thanksgiving with us because she had to work and couldn't go to the family gathering. We would have been fine with it.

Flexible hours. I'm pretty much available when they need me. One employer did a radical shift change, leaving everyone in a panic. Mine just told me, we talked it out and her day care never missed a beat. One of my parents has suddenly been put on late shift. No big deal, the baby can stay as long as needed for the next week, until they can fix the schedule.
MyAngels 08:43 PM 01-27-2012
The baby whisperer-I can get any baby to relax and stop crying
If you could bottle that and sell it, you'd make a fortune .
melskids 04:41 AM 01-28-2012
I could go on and on about a million things that set me apart (alot has already been mentioned by all of you other wonderful providers! )

Being play based, and my philosophy of process art are just two....

But the biggest difference is that I have ten acres of wooded property up on the mountain. (everyone else is down in town)

So, where some might think being so far out is an inconvienience for them to drive up here, I really push all the good things it can offer.

We spend MOST of our day outside exploring nature, they way (I feel) kids should....the way my grandparents and parents, and even I did. Remember being kicked out and told not to come back until dinner? well, thats what I do with these kids. Except, I am with them to supervise, of course....lol

We have TONS of critters to watch and learn about, creeks and streams to explore, wooded trails to hike, a large veggie garden, fruit bushes and trees to pick from, and plenty of room to run.
AnneCordelia 05:15 AM 01-28-2012
I am, inadvertently, the only multicultural home daycare in town. :-)
Otherwise I am similar to others....
Clean house
Wholesome meals, no processed foods
Dedicated mainfloor daycare
Basic program w circle time, music and crafts
I am a piano teacher as well
Small number of dcks, only 3 right now.
Fenced and fun yard
Lots of outtings (zoo library parks splash pad act) but I don't drive the kids...all in walking distance
Countrygal 06:34 AM 01-28-2012
This thread just hasn't gone out of my mind. I have not been satisfied with my earlier answer, but have not been able to put my foot on it. While answering another thread, I think I got it!

In my other post I mentioned that for me it is a lifestyle, not a business. I think that is what makes me stand out!

Many of the daycares in this area are either 1) babysitting or 2)group care. They are open 9-5, have set hours and are very protective of that. There is nothing at all wrong with that! Some really wonderful daycares operate this way, as is attested to on this forum....

It's just not the way I run mine. I am open as many hours as I can be - not because I have kids that many hours, but because I want to accomodate "life". Life happens and I don't want to be limited to how much I can help others by the clock. If a parent's car breaks down or won't start or they're snowed in and can't get out until they are 3 hours late for work and they have to stay late to work it off, I want to be able to accomodate that. If a single mom has the flu and misses two days of work and has to work the weekend to make it up or she can't pay her electric bill, I want to be able to help her.

You get the idea...... I am in this to earn money to pay bills, but even more so I am in it because it is where I belong. It is right for me. I'm not doing it because I have to. I'm not doing it because it makes sense in this area or because jobs are so hard to find. I'm doing it because it is a perfect fit! It is my lifestyle, not my job. I love staying home and interacting with these kids all day. I LIVE for it!!! And gs loves it as well.

When my kids were growing up we had a farm and the kids had all kinds of animals, were in 4-H, a big garden, learned to grow and put up their own healthy foods (they all pretty much still follow this lifestyle of healthy living), and it was the best life I could give them. This is the best life for gs and I right now. It is where we need to be. It is a "fit", our "niche".

I think that sets me apart.
Childminder 08:06 AM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by :
Do you make housecalls?
Yes! I'll be glad to come to anyplace warm right now for the price of a plane ticket and room and board.

Originally Posted by :
If you could bottle that and sell it, you'd make a fortune .
I need that fortune, my income was down by 25% this year. This economy is killing me. I did have an interview yesterday that went well and the child starts Monday.
Blackcat31 08:47 AM 01-28-2012
I did have an interview yesterday that went well and the child starts Monday.
good for you! I love happy news!!!
Countrygal 09:21 AM 01-28-2012
Yes! I'll be glad to come to anyplace warm right now for the price of a plane ticket and room and board.

I need that fortune, my income was down by 25% this year. This economy is killing me. I did have an interview yesterday that went well and the child starts Monday.
Congrats on the new child!
Heidi 09:50 AM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I think my knowledge and qualifications and my confidence in what I do and how I do it. Parents are usually very impressed with my handbook/contract.

I also have a large fenced backyard that backs onto a creek with lots of ducks, herons, mergansers, otters, beavers and birds. We also have a walking trail behind my house that leads to a park with a nice playstructure, sand and small wooded area. My house is smack dab in the middle of a city so it definately sets me apart!!

In terms of my ads I don't have grammer and spelling mistakes. That sets me apart big time
Ariana! Were you trying to be funny, or was that a typo? LOL

GRAMMER...lol s/b GRAMMAR

Blackcat31 08:07 AM 01-29-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:

And definately is actually definitely..

I am sorry, I couldn't resist! I am by far NOT the spelling or grammar police by any means. I also would not have made the comment if I didn't already know that Ariana has an excellent sense of humor!!

FTR~ To those of you who have complained about not having a spell checker......there is a spell-check option when posting, it is a symbol with "ABC" and a blue check mark under it on the top right part of the box you use when typing your response.....right above the Smilies.
Heidi 10:47 AM 01-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I am sorry, I couldn't resist! I am by far NOT the spelling or grammar police by any means. I also would not have made the comment if I didn't already know that Ariana has an excellent sense of humor!!

FTR~ To those of you who have complained about not having a spell checker......there is a spell-check option when posting, it is a symbol with "ABC" and a blue check mark under it on the top right part of the box you use when typing your response.....right above the Smilies.
For the record, I THOUGHT Grammer was wrong, but had to check to be sure before I opened my big mouth. I see the spellcheck button now!
laundrymom 08:32 PM 01-29-2012
I think my family vibe, my relaxed mannerisms. I have been doing this long enough that I rarely get nervous. I can usually calm a fussy baby direct from a mothers arms. I seem to put new parents at ease. They feel comfy with my home, family and program.
Ariana 07:31 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:

Yes most definately a typo!! but before I post an ad I revise it and check my mistakes!! Posting on a daycare forum while taking care of kids doesn't always afford me that luxury! hahahaha
Ariana 07:33 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I definaiantly have an excallently senses of humurs
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I definaiantly have an excallently senses of humurs

Tags:niche, niche market
Reply Up