Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tornado Watch- WWYD?
SunshineMama 12:30 PM 03-02-2012
I live in a zone that will be hit by some bad storms coming up very soon tonight. We have a wind advisory currently- and could possibly be in a tornado zone, depending on where this big storm takes us.

I put up a pack and play in my basement, and an emergency bag with extra diapers, water, food, blankets, and first aid kit. I also threw in all of our bicycle helmets, just for extra safety, and some clothes. My phone is fully charged.

This could be completely pointless, or we could be hit by a tornado. It isn't likely, but I would much rather be prepared.

At the very least, it is a good practice/drill for natural disasters.

Do you have emergency plans in place? If so, what would you add?
MrsB 12:49 PM 03-02-2012
I am licensed and our state requires us to have an emergency preparedness plan and kit. Here are some additional items I have in mine that I can think of off the top of my head. At least $20 in cash, full gas tank, extra set of car keys, canned food and dont forget the opener, copies of kids emergency cards, phone numbers of emergency contacts for yourself,
SunshineMama 12:58 PM 03-02-2012
Thanks! I will do a copy of the kids information and contacts- I didn't think about that!
JenNJ 01:04 PM 03-02-2012
Matches & candles, flashlight, some books/games/toys/crayones and coloring books for the kids. Cards for the adults. Bread and PB&J for a no cook meal packed with protein. An empty bucket and a roll of toilet paper. Trash bags, chairs for the adults, battery operated or crank radio. Extra batteries. Flares. Wallet, medical cards, emergency info for everyone. Any medications that anyone uses and some pain and killers like Motrin. Benadryl. Lots of wipes to wash up with.
bunnyslippers 01:08 PM 03-02-2012
Flash light, battery operated radio, toilet paper and kleenex, some toys to keep you all occupied, any pet provisions, shoes (never know when you may need to leave the home).

The Red Cross also has a full list of items you should always have ready to go in an emergency, either shelter in place or leave the home.

Good Luck!
WImom 01:10 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Matches & candles, flashlight, some books/games/toys/crayones and coloring books for the kids. Cards for the adults. Bread and PB&J for a no cook meal packed with protein. An empty bucket and a roll of toilet paper. Trash bags, chairs for the adults, battery operated or crank radio. Extra batteries. Flares. Wallet, medical cards, emergency info for everyone. Any medications that anyone uses and some pain and killers like Motrin. Benadryl. Lots of wipes to wash up with.
We have to have a tornado bucket in our basement for per licensing but never thought of the empty bucket and a roll of toliet paper. We had to hold my own DD over our laundry sink once when we had a tornado warning and we were in the basement. Luckily it was just #1.
Springdaze 01:12 PM 03-02-2012
My state gave us sticker bracelet things that you write the childs name phone # and allergies on. It would have to be a real emergency to need them, but I thought it was a good idea. I have lots of food in my school and things like that, but we would never have a "surprise" emergency here, well, it would be rare, we DID have an earthquake last summer, but I was driving and didnt feel it!
Blackcat31 01:12 PM 03-02-2012
Try this site: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/...0089f0870aRCRD

Tons of super good info.
SilverSabre25 01:13 PM 03-02-2012
PLEASE don't buy into all the media hype...we're only at a TORCON 3 last I checked. The hype is ridiculous and overblown...for our particular area anyway.

The news agencies lost out on lots of snowstorm ratings and are just leaping on this as the first Big Event that they can use to draw any ratings at all.

It's silly. It's a storm system. They happen. The conditions are right for possible tornados...that happens too.

Being prepared for an emergency, knowing what you'll do, having a kit ready...that's one thing. Overpreparing, scaring yourself...that's just wasting time and energy and is silly.

I would put money on not even getting a good healthy thunderstorm...just lots of rain.

ETA: I'm a weather nerd and have been learning about this stuff since I was 8. My brother in law IS a meteorologist and definitely knows what he is talking about, too. This is NOT a "freak out" type event...but then, I don't "do" drama. It's boring. I don't watch the news either for that reason--it's all drama and a ratings game.
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
ETA: I'm a weather nerd and have been learning about this stuff since I was 8. My brother in law IS a meteorologist and definitely knows what he is talking about, too. This is NOT a "freak out" type event...but then, I don't "do" drama. It's boring. I don't watch the news either for that reason--it's all drama and a ratings game.
LOL!! We were just joking the other day that meteorology is the only field you can go into and be 100% wrong and still keep your job!

Our meteorologist predicted 8-12 inches of snow for a REALLY bad snow storm that was heading our way, no travel advised, all evening activities at schools and adult centers cancelled, etc etc etc. Storm suppose to hit at midnight.....I headed to bed fully prepared to be snowed in the next morning.

Woke up and there was not one single snow flake on the ground. . I kind of expect that they aren't perfect but my first thought was "seriously?"

So I just had to throw that out there that I RARELY believe the weather guy/gal.
SunshineMama 01:41 PM 03-02-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
PLEASE don't buy into all the media hype...we're only at a TORCON 3 last I checked. The hype is ridiculous and overblown...for our particular area anyway.

The news agencies lost out on lots of snowstorm ratings and are just leaping on this as the first Big Event that they can use to draw any ratings at all.

It's silly. It's a storm system. They happen. The conditions are right for possible tornados...that happens too.

Being prepared for an emergency, knowing what you'll do, having a kit ready...that's one thing. Overpreparing, scaring yourself...that's just wasting time and energy and is silly.

I would put money on not even getting a good healthy thunderstorm...just lots of rain.

You are probably 100% right. I do not have an emergency kit (well, didn't before today), so it was good to at least get something together anyway and think about what I would do if....

My grandma called me earlier in an uproar about it and got me all worked up- she's a doomsday freak-out kind of person. I should have known better lol!!
cheerfuldom 07:01 AM 03-03-2012
We have a basement and yes, i have had to wake 7 kids during nap time when the tornado sirens turned on! I have TV down there and just pop in a movie if we get stuck in there during the day. Emergency contacts, supply and food is a very good idea! As are flashlights, your cell phone and even an extra charger.
GretasLittleFriends 07:31 AM 03-03-2012
All I am required to have is a flashlight and radio. We have a bathroom in our basement, so I wouldn't have thought of the bucket, but it's a GREAT idea. We have a pantry down there with canned and dried goods, and the basement is where I store my "sleeping" toys. A copy of the kids' emergency info is a wonderful suggestion too.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL!! We were just joking the other day that meteorology is the only field you can go into and be 100% wrong and still keep your job!

Our meteorologist predicted 8-12 inches of snow for a REALLY bad snow storm that was heading our way, no travel advised, all evening activities at schools and adult centers cancelled, etc etc etc. Storm suppose to hit at midnight.....I headed to bed fully prepared to be snowed in the next morning.

Woke up and there was not one single snow flake on the ground. . I kind of expect that they aren't perfect but my first thought was "seriously?"

So I just had to throw that out there that I RARELY believe the weather guy/gal.
Depends on where you were. We grilled Tuesday evening and were joking about "all the snow". We figured this was another case where the meteorologist mispredicted and thought it was just hype. By 11p the snow was coming down pretty good. School was cancelled Wednesday (which is NOT common for us) and we had a good 10+ inches of wet heavy snow. The roads were horrible, the wind was worse, even the wet snow was drifting. They were talking about shutting down I-35 for a while. When I was listening to a radio station from Duluth on Wednesday morning, it was about 9a and they said it had just started snowing in the last couple of hours.

When DH was finished plowing the driveway, our snow piles looked like a typical winters' worth of snow piles, but it was all from that one storm.

It snowed yesterday and is snowing again today. 48 this upcoming Tuesday and lower-mid 40s the end of the week.
Blackcat31 03:10 PM 03-03-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
All I am required to have is a flashlight and radio. We have a bathroom in our basement, so I wouldn't have thought of the bucket, but it's a GREAT idea. We have a pantry down there with canned and dried goods, and the basement is where I store my "sleeping" toys. A copy of the kids' emergency info is a wonderful suggestion too.

Depends on where you were. We grilled Tuesday evening and were joking about "all the snow". We figured this was another case where the meteorologist mispredicted and thought it was just hype. By 11p the snow was coming down pretty good. School was cancelled Wednesday (which is NOT common for us) and we had a good 10+ inches of wet heavy snow. The roads were horrible, the wind was worse, even the wet snow was drifting. They were talking about shutting down I-35 for a while. When I was listening to a radio station from Duluth on Wednesday morning, it was about 9a and they said it had just started snowing in the last couple of hours.

When DH was finished plowing the driveway, our snow piles looked like a typical winters' worth of snow piles, but it was all from that one storm.

It snowed yesterday and is snowing again today. 48 this upcoming Tuesday and lower-mid 40s the end of the week.
Yeah, I felt really bad for some parts of the state. I know the weather guy was right about the storm, he was just a bit off though about when and where it was going to be the worst.

My DD lives in St. Cloud and she said they were predicting only rain and possible icy roads and they ended up having some of their roads shut down and a ton of snow too!

I just thought it was funny that we were in an area that was suppose to get 8-12 inches of snow and ALL the areas around us actually did and we didn't get a single flake. It was almost as if my town was living under a dome.

It is snowing now though so maybe Mother Nature will make it up to us...
meganlavonnesmommy 01:48 AM 03-04-2012
I would make sure all the kids and you had their shoes on. And yes, we practice tornado drills just like we do with fire drills.
Tags:disaster plan, emergency preparedness plan, tornado
Reply Up