Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Patient Leader
dave4him 02:22 AM 11-04-2012
(As posted last week from my teacher in my Early Childhood Education course.)

TEACH ME TO BE A PATIENT LEADER

Proverbs 14:29 A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly.

Unfortunately, many of us were not born with an easy-going temperament. Instead, we must build self-control through trials and tests. In the midst of these learning experiences we can count it all joy. Why? Because we can teach our students the secret of overcoming a temper as we conquer our own personal battles. The teacher who overcomes has a life message of victory who can offer specific direction and counsel to students who struggle with similar temper difficulties.

A patient teacher is loving, yet decisive, in control, understanding and wise. The godly character displayed in this teacher's life can help to equip students with skills needed to work with their fellowman.

"Sounds great, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum--the quick-tempered teacher. What do I do?" you ask.

Perhaps you need to meditate on the "fruit" or result of a quick-temper. A quick-temper will:

Negate your authority
Dull your Christian testimony
Be seen as a weakness by your class
Make your day to day experiences miserable for you.

Once a student learns to push your buttons, he will play "the game” over and over again. He secretly knows that he wins the battle when you lose your cool. He may even joke and make your temper a matter of conversation with other students. As a professional leader you cannot afford the luxury of showing your anger.

Here are some suggestions that may help. Meet with your principal or a friend to discuss specific situations that stir up your anger. Seek counsel that may give you insights and solutions to the problem. Identify the student(s) who push your buttons and determine a plan of action for the next attack. For instance, you may decide that Johnny will be placed out in the hallway anytime you feel anger building toward his behavior. It’s better for him to have “time out” than for you to lose your cool. You may discover that your disciplinary actions are not methodical and consistent within your classroom. Correcting this may relieve the tension and regain the control needed.

It is never you against the students. Rather it is the student against the rules or the students against the position (teacher). You are simply the policeman who writes out the ticket and gives the student what he has earned. Your emotions are not to be involved. It is your responsibility not your right! Teachers never "get back at a student". That is a child's approach. As an adult, you are to "train and reprove" and lead the student into more mature actions and thinking. Keep short accounts--don't let anger build. Pray for students who irritate you. Practice a controlled response privately when there is no conflict--rehearse for the real thing.

DEAR GOD, MAKE ME LIKE YOU--PATIENT, LOVING AND FIRM. GIVE ME THE COURAGE TO DISCIPLINE WITH PURPOSE RATHER THAN ANGER.

What are your thoughts on the importance of patience in working with young children?
jen 02:07 PM 11-04-2012
Dave, can I ask where you are taking your classes? I thought I remember you saying that you were working towards a teaching degree. Is that correct? Since you said early childhood, I am thinking you are working towards elementary?
dave4him 03:12 PM 11-04-2012
Its an online course. Im working on my AA degree in Early Childhood education thrugh OWU. Its pretty fun. THanks for responding. I was beginnng to feel ignored
littlemissmuffet 04:35 PM 11-04-2012
Thanks for posting this, Dave. Though I am not a religious person and don't subscribe to religious readings of any kind the underlying message in your post was an excellent reminder and had some great advice on coping with impatience. I sometimes feel myself growing angry or frustrated in many different life situations, including work-related situations so it's good to be reminded of the importance of patience... for the person displaying patience as well as the person receiving the patience. I love the final message - GIVE ME THE COURAGE TO DISCIPLINE WITH PURPOSE RATHER THAN ANGER.

Thanks again for sharing!
jen 07:34 PM 11-04-2012
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Its an online course. Im working on my AA degree in Early Childhood education thrugh OWU. Its pretty fun. THanks for responding. I was beginnng to feel ignored
Is your long-term goal to work in a preschool setting? Don't you already have a BA in seminary?

LOL, I'm asking a lot of questions, mainly because I am finishing up my M.A.T., so I find others' educational journey interesting.
dave4him 02:02 AM 11-05-2012
I would like to teach elementary kids, like 1st through 6th somewhere
Tags:classes
Reply Up