Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensed daycare wi? Classes?
graham.shellbell 12:00 PM 11-28-2012
I am working on becoming licensed in WI..where do I find information on where to take classes..I have looked online and in my packet but have yet to find specifics. TIA!!
Heidi 12:03 PM 11-28-2012
Try your local tech school, they usually offer non-credit courses.

I'm not sure how far you are in the process. If you can afford it, I would recommend that instead of taking the 40-hour non credit course, you take a 3-credit course such as Foundations of ECE at the tech school . It will cost about $350, but it will get you further, because it counts toward the education component of Youngstar.

If you want more info on that, I can give you some links...
graham.shellbell 12:05 PM 11-28-2012
I'm just starting and want to get going on my classes..thank you for any information you can provide!!
Heidi 12:12 PM 11-28-2012
Have you sent in your packet yet?

If not, get that (order off the DCF website), and get it going asap. It takes them forever to process it. Then, you will get a consultant who comes to your house and goes through everything with you.

You don't have to have all the education stuff done before you get licensed, I think...at least you used to get 6 months. That should also be DCF's website.

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/l...d/Starting.HTM

You may be ahead of me on this, but there is the link to DCF.

What part of the state are you in? I am in Juneau County. Feel free to PM me if you have detailed questions.
graham.shellbell 12:21 PM 11-28-2012
I have the packet and have met my license guy..he says he can probably have me licensed by Christmas(he is not behind on his work he said)and since I have been doing this for many years there are just a few things I need to do. I am in Waukesha county.. I wasn't planning on being licensed but need to because of the number of kiddos I am caring for now.
Heidi 03:16 PM 11-28-2012
Originally Posted by graham.shellbell:
I have the packet and have met my license guy..he says he can probably have me licensed by Christmas(he is not behind on his work he said)and since I have been doing this for many years there are just a few things I need to do. I am in Waukesha county.. I wasn't planning on being licensed but need to because of the number of kiddos I am caring for now.

Good for you! I know it's tempting to stay unregulated, but you are doing the right thing to be legal eagle!

Here is the Resource and Referal Agency for you area. They should be able to direct you to training and are typically a great resource in general.

4C Community Coordinated Child Care 414-562-2650 http://4c-milwaukee.org/training

They may also be your local food program, which I highly encourage you to join if you are licensed-you have to meet the same standards for meals anyway, since licensing's requirements are almost identical to the food program. So, you might as well get an extra $5.00 per day per child!
Countrygal 03:35 PM 11-28-2012
I just got our tech school's listing for the classes they are offering today in the mail. Might be a good time to try calling your tech college.
WImom 12:01 PM 11-29-2012
I don't have any more info to add but I wanted to say we're neighbors! I'm also in Waukesha County!
kitykids3 12:27 PM 11-29-2012
It would depend on where you are and what specific classes you want to take. 4C's is one place. Look on The Registry website and you can do a search for trainings all over the state. registry.net
kitykids3 12:31 PM 11-29-2012
Dang, how many replies showed up in that short time to write mine.
Glad you are becoming legal, however, I do believe you have to have the entry level requirements before getting license. That was the new rule a few years ago. Good luck.
Reply Up