Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB's Dirty Face, Hands, and Ears Gross Me Out
melilley 06:17 AM 01-22-2014
I have a dcb who, EVERY single day comes in with a dirty face and sometimes hands! It really grosses me out. I have to wash him up everyday after his parents drop him off. I know dcp's know dcb's face is dirty because he talks to him before he leaves; he HAS to see it! And mom has laughed before saying "oh L, your face is so dirty hahahaha". It just grosses me out.

Yesterday he came in with black on his face, hands, and ears. I know that they sometimes let him eat in the truck and when he does that, he's super dirty. Once it was bananas and they handed him over to me (he is 1) and he had bananas and snot all over his hands and face and mom once again laughed and told dcb not to get my nice shirt dirty. He has also had whole apples in the car, skin and all! He spits the skins out so who knows where they go, a big pile in the back of the truck? I would hate to see what their house looks like.

I don't get how they are not embarrassed. I would never drop my child off like that. I don't think it's my place to say anything, plus they really don't care, so I'll just keep taking messy dcb from dcp and keep washing him up every day.

Ok rant over.
Meeko 06:41 AM 01-22-2014
Take the child from the parent, making sure to get the banana/chocolate/peanut butter/caramel/applesauce/insert mess here....ALL over your hands.

Then turn to the parent and make a point of placing your hand on their arm or shoulder (preferably both) as you smile sweetly and make small talk. Be sure to pat them on the back as they leave too.

Then laugh to yourself all day as they go off to work covered in their child's goop......
melilley 07:04 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Take the child from the parent, making sure to get the banana/chocolate/peanut butter/caramel/applesauce/insert mess here....ALL over your hands.

Then turn to the parent and make a point of placing your hand on their arm or shoulder (preferably both) as you smile sweetly and make small talk. Be sure to pat them on the back as they leave too.

Then laugh to yourself all day as they go off to work covered in their child's goop......
I am soooo going to do this! They more than likely won't care, dcd is a mechanic and mom is a preschool teacher, but it's worth a try!

Or I could send dcb home with a messy face, but I wouldn't be able to stand it!
crazydaycarelady 07:07 AM 01-22-2014
You have to wonder too since it is first thing in the morning - did dcb go to bed dirty?
craftymissbeth 07:26 AM 01-22-2014
I wonder if you kept a container of wipes near the front door and then said "oh, dcb, looks like you got a bit messy on the way over. Here ya go, mom!" and let them clean his face and hands if they'd get the hint that you don't like it. Or maybe they'll just use up all your wipes and do it every day...

I have a dcg who sometimes comes with dried on snot all over her nose, but I never think to look before they leave or I'd have them clean it off. It's just annoying that I send their children home cleaner than they came even after we do all of the messy things we do. I just want to say really, we paint and play in goopy messy squishy things yet I don't send our yuckiness home with them... please don't send your yuckiness here!
melilley 07:28 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I wonder if you kept a container of wipes near the front door and then said "oh, dcb, looks like you got a bit messy on the way over. Here ya go, mom!" and let them clean his face and hands if they'd get the hint that you don't like it. Or maybe they'll just use up all your wipes and do it every day...

I have a dcg who sometimes comes with dried on snot all over her nose, but I never think to look before they leave or I'd have them clean it off. It's just annoying that I send their children home cleaner than they came even after we do all of the messy things we do. I just want to say really, we paint and play in goopy messy squishy things yet I don't send our yuckiness home with them... please don't send your yuckiness here!
I should do that! They have to supply their own wipes, so it would be worth it!

I really don't mind if the kids sometimes come in messy, it happens, but this particular dcb comes in everyday like this, often times with dog hair stuck to whatever is on his face...yuck!
craftymissbeth 07:30 AM 01-22-2014
Also, on Monday one of my dck's smelled absolutely disgusting (I hate to admit that I was grossed out by the smell of a child but it's the cold hard truth). "Somehow" she managed to get her dipping bowl of syrup that someone "carelessly" left on her high chair tray while their back was turned.... so she got a super quick bath before morning nap
Blackcat31 01:55 PM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I have a dcb who, EVERY single day comes in with a dirty face and sometimes hands! It really grosses me out. I have to wash him up everyday after his parents drop him off. I know dcp's know dcb's face is dirty because he talks to him before he leaves; he HAS to see it! And mom has laughed before saying "oh L, your face is so dirty hahahaha". It just grosses me out.

Yesterday he came in with black on his face, hands, and ears. I know that they sometimes let him eat in the truck and when he does that, he's super dirty. Once it was bananas and they handed him over to me (he is 1) and he had bananas and snot all over his hands and face and mom once again laughed and told dcb not to get my nice shirt dirty. He has also had whole apples in the car, skin and all! He spits the skins out so who knows where they go, a big pile in the back of the truck? I would hate to see what their house looks like.

I don't get how they are not embarrassed. I would never drop my child off like that. I don't think it's my place to say anything, plus they really don't care, so I'll just keep taking messy dcb from dcp and keep washing him up every day.

Ok rant over.
When they try to hand a DIRTY child to you, it IS your place to say something.

I would take a step back when they try to hand him over and say something like "Oh oh, it looks like mom missed a bit when she wiped you up from breakfast." then hand mom/dad the wet wipes and wait for them to do THEIR job.

This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to drop off.

Wet wipes are so convenient and almost every parent carries a travel pack in their car, purse and/or diaper bag.

I keep a box next to the sign in/out sheet so parents can use when needed.
Maria2013 03:49 PM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:

Naptime yet? 03:55 PM 01-22-2014
I occasionally get one in the am with chocolate all over his face & hands. Nice.
TwinKristi 04:29 PM 01-22-2014
Yeah I had one who did that, I think we talked about it last week in the PJ thread. He puked all over his jammies eating Cheerios on the way to my house and came in his pukey jammies. Blech!!! So nasty!! But regularly came with PB or bananas all over his hands and face.
Reply Up