Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hopefully Closing Soon - It's Time!
KatieG 06:31 AM 08-19-2014
I've been in the child care business for over 11 years now, and it feels like time to close up shop. It was just supposed to be something I did for a few years to bring in some income while our boys were little, not my life-long career. I've always said that as long as I'm having more good days than bad, I'll continue. But I think I've reached the point where there are more bad days, so it's time.

My two boys are 21 & 18 now - both in college. My equipment is showing its age & beginning to wear out, so I'm faced with having to buy new soon. And, most importantly, I dread the start of each day, counting the hours 'til naptime and pick-up time. I'm just done.

For the last few weeks, I've been applying for jobs, and I have an interview this Friday afternoon! Of course this means I have to ask the DCF's to pick-up early. Thing is, they don't know I'm looking for a job. I don't want to tell them until I have a solid offer. We can't afford for me to not work, and I don't want to spook anyone. I'm just not sure what reason to give them for the early pick-up on Friday.

Any advice as I make this transition?
Controlled Chaos 07:20 AM 08-19-2014
Good luck with the interview! I would say you have an appointment and leave it at that.
Leigh 07:22 AM 08-19-2014
They don't need a reason. Just let them know that you are closing at XX:XX on Friday and leave it at that.
GabsKids 07:37 AM 08-19-2014
I don't have words of advice for you, as I am in kind of the same situation. I found out about a month ago my only 2 full timers are leaving. Grandma retired and is going to start caring for them because they are facing a financial hardship. It helped me come to the decision that I am ready to be done. I will continue for the remainder of the school year, because I feel I made the commitment to my other families whose children will be getting on/off the bus here for kindy. (Our district is still half day kdg) I did tell all but one family, that is new, this will be my last year. They took the news well..and I know they aren't looking yet. One commented she will start looking after the first of the year.
In your case, since you don't want to have any gaps with no income, I would wait until you have a job offer before you tell them. I would try to give them 3 weeks if possible. But be prepared since they will be looking for care right away to leave as soon as they find something else. In that case, maybe you would be able to start your new job sooner. Or you could sell some of your daycare items on eBay or CL to help make up some of the lost income.
I wish you the best of luck! Keep us updated! I don't often sign in when on but I check in almost everyday.

By the way...this is my 7th year doing daycare.
KatieG 07:53 AM 08-19-2014
Wow, I just got a call from another of the many resumes that I've sent out - they want me to come in for an interview as well. So now that's 2 interviews Friday afternoon, one at 1pm and one at 3pm! I've had times over the last few years where I've gotten frustrated with child care & sent out resumes and never got any response. Now 2 interviews in a week! It makes me feel like it really is time!

My husband is taking a week off in September, and I wasn't planning to take the week off with him (he gets 4 weeks paid vacay every year, I usually just take 2 in the summer). But I'm hoping if things work out, I can close the day care on Friday before, take a week off with him, then start a new job on Monday.

And yes, I think I'll just tell them that something came up and I have an appointment on Friday afternoon. But maybe I should wait a day or two in case I get any more calls for interviews - who knows, maybe I'll need the whole day off?

Keep your fingers crossed for me!
e.j. 11:37 AM 08-19-2014
Originally Posted by KatieG:
But maybe I should wait a day or two in case I get any more calls for interviews - who knows, maybe I'll need the whole day off?
Keep your fingers crossed for me!
If you can afford it and it won't upset the parents too much, I think I'd give them notice today that I need to close for the day Friday. That way, they have more time to make arrangements for child care and you don't have to worry about a parent showing up late for pick-up, causing you to be late for your interview. My dc parents are never late for pick up until I really need to be somewhere on time. That's always the day they show up late!

Good luck in your interviews!
Play Care 11:39 AM 08-19-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
If you can afford it and it won't upset the parents too much, I think I'd give them notice today that I need to close for the day Friday. That way, they have more time to make arrangements for child care and you don't have to worry about a parent showing up late for pick-up, causing you to be late for your interview. My dc parents are never late for pick up until I really need to be somewhere on time. That's always the day they show up late!

Yes, this exactly! Good luck!!
AmyKidsCo 01:15 PM 08-19-2014
Good luck!!!
MyAngels 01:33 PM 08-19-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
2grls4us 12:56 PM 08-20-2014
I agree with close for the day if a reason is needed you technically have multiple appointments you just can't reschedule. Good luck!
butterfly 12:59 PM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by 2grls4us:
I agree with close for the day if a reason is needed you technically have multiple appointments you just can't reschedule. Good luck!

Good luck with the interview!
mls620 02:09 PM 08-20-2014
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
KatieG 06:27 AM 09-19-2014
I just realized this morning that I haven't given you an update on my interviews. Although I felt both went well, they both contacted me about a week later saying that I was not being invited back for a second interview So, the job search continues...
hope 06:38 AM 09-19-2014
Do the jobs that you are applying for pay as well as daycare? When I have a good amount of kids I make as much as my DH. I always wonder if I will go on to something else once my kids get older. I had a great career before I did daycare but the hours were long so I would never go back to that. It left no room for a life outside of work. My only hope is that DH will get promoted and I could take on a part time job.
Play Care 08:04 AM 09-19-2014
I just realized this morning that I haven't given you an update on my interviews. Although I felt both went well, they both contacted me about a week later saying that I was not being invited back for a second interview So, the job search continues...
Keep plugging away!
I feel as though many employers view this career as "babysitting" especially for those of us doing it in home (no matter how wonderful your set up is) I've been volunteering and actually considering a part time job outside the home to beef up my resume.
Another thought is that for me a job outside isn't necessarily about salary at this point - bennies and retirement are also a large factor.
KatieG 07:03 AM 11-12-2014
Great news! After many months of searching, sending out resumes, interviews, etc. - I have a job!!! Here's how it went down:

The screamer baby that I was watching turned a year old on 10/9, and on 10/10 both parents came at pickup time to give me the news that they felt it was "time to move on" - whatever that means - and they were taking him to a new sitter on Monday. No notice, no real explanation, just leaving. I tried to put on a sad face as I contained my elation the best I could. I had been wanting to term this family for months, but just couldn't think of a way to do it that wouldn't upset my other DCF - the two families are best friends, moms went to high school & college together, moved to a new town together, bought houses on the same street, etc. So honestly, they did me a favor by leaving. And this was the same week that I was considering giving both families notice that I was raising my rates.

So now I'm left with one family with 2 kids - 2yo boy and 1yo girl. And I find out from dcd that he & his wife are splitting up, and she has been living with the other family. Weird, right? I figure it's time to amp up the job search!

So I get a call on 10/29 asking me to come in for an interview the next day. At this point, only 2 kids left, it's time to tell them that I am looking, and they should be looking for a new sitter, so I tell dcd at pickup and he is pretty cool about it.

Interview went well, they called me the next day (Friday) to come back for a second interview and skills test on Monday, then they called me the next day (last Tuesday) to offer me the job!

Next Thursday will be my last day with the munchkins (I had a scheduled day off on Friday), then I am going to enjoy Thanksgiving week off with my family. I start my new job as a part-time tax clerk on 12/1, working only 4 hours/day, 20 hours/week, but making the same income as watching 2 kids 50 hours/week!
taylorw1210 07:07 AM 11-12-2014
Congratulations!
AmyKidsCo 07:13 AM 11-12-2014
working only 4 hours/day, 20 hours/week, but making the same income as watching 2 kids 50 hours/week!
Congrats, I'm so happy for you!

But your statement about making the same working 20 hours vs 50 hours is depressing for our profession.
Baby Beluga 07:17 AM 11-12-2014
Congratulations!
KatieG 07:23 AM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Congrats, I'm so happy for you!

But your statement about making the same working 20 hours vs 50 hours is depressing for our profession.
Keep in mind, I'm down to only 2 kiddos at this point - far from a full house. There was a time when I was making good money, but my nerves just can't take it anymore!
Crazy8 08:11 AM 11-12-2014
Glad to read your update!!! Hope your new job goes well.
MommieNana4 08:19 AM 11-12-2014
Congratulations! All the best with the new job.
Indianadaycare 09:29 AM 11-12-2014
Congratulations! That is wonderful news! Best of luck to you.
butterfly 10:31 AM 11-12-2014
Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you!!
e.j. 02:14 PM 11-12-2014
Next Thursday will be my last day with the munchkins (I had a scheduled day off on Friday), then I am going to enjoy Thanksgiving week off with my family. I start my new job as a part-time tax clerk on 12/1, working only 4 hours/day, 20 hours/week, but making the same income as watching 2 kids 50 hours/week!
Sweet!! Congratulations on the new job.
mls620 11:27 AM 11-13-2014
Congrats!!
KayB 04:21 PM 11-13-2014
Congratulations and best wishes moving forward!
Reply Up