Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would You Handle This....
Unregistered 09:35 AM 03-17-2015
I'm going to give you a scenario and you tell me what you would have done.

DCM texts Sunday says DCB1 (11 months old) has been throwing up all day but she thinks its just food related. Like he ate something that isn't settling with his tummy. No fever. Wants to send kids to daycare on Monday. DCP says no, please keep him home. He has been throwing up and you can't be certain it is food related. DCM says well then I will just bring DCB2 (2.5 years old). She does't ask, she just says she is going to do it. DCP says that if DCB1 does have a virus DCB2 is going to probably get it and just to keep both kids home to prevent the spread of germs to the other kids just in case. This is a small in home daycare. DCP has three kids of her own and definitely doesn't want to shut down for a week to deal with a stomach bug.

Monday night rolls around. DCM texts...kids have been fine all day. They are coming Tuesday.

They come today. DCB1 looks horrible. DCP takes one look at him and asks if he has been running a fever because he feels warm. DCM has DCP provider take temp and it's fine. DCM leaves the kids. DCB1 doesn't eat breakfast at all is and is very cranky. DCB2 does't each much and is just not acting like is normal self. DCB1 is put in his pack and play for morning nap.

DCB2 mentions to DCP that DCB1 threw up last night.

DCB1 wakes up head to toe in diarrhea. Pack and play covered in it. DCP cleans him up and calls Mom. DCM wants to leave DCB2 because she has a lot of work to do at home this afternoon.

Would you tell Mom to take home both boys or would you let her leave one at daycare.
Sugar Magnolia 09:57 AM 03-17-2015
I'd let the older child stay ONLY IF he is symptom free. I'd also casually ask him if he had any medicine before school. If you suspect dope and drop, I'd send older child home as well.
hope 10:18 AM 03-17-2015
I run into the sick sibling issue all the time. My policy only covers the sick child, not the siblings. It does state to use better judgment when sibling are sick. Almost every time a child gets sick the parents send the sibling and a few days later sibling is sick. That now doubles the chance of infecting the others. I am changing my policy next year yo if one child is sick the whole family stays home. I would tell her no. She already sent in both children feeling ill and you had to clean up after one. You are a well care provider.
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm going to give you a scenario and you tell me what you would have done.

DCM texts Sunday says DCB1 (11 months old) has been throwing up all day but she thinks its just food related. Like he ate something that isn't settling with his tummy. No fever. Wants to send kids to daycare on Monday. DCP says no, please keep him home. He has been throwing up and you can't be certain it is food related.

I have the same policy and I do not accept "guesses" from parents about what it "might" be. I would exclude.

DCM says well then I will just bring DCB2 (2.5 years old). She does't ask, she just says she is going to do it.

I ONLY exclude the ill child. If other child is fine, they are okay to attend.

DCP says that if DCB1 does have a virus DCB2 is going to probably get it and just to keep both kids home to prevent the spread of germs to the other kids just in case.

Not all children get the same things just because a sibling has it. I have two children of my own and when they were young, they rarely got the same illnesses.

This is a small in home daycare. DCP has three kids of her own and definitely doesn't want to shut down for a week to deal with a stomach bug.

This should be of no concern to the daycare parent. I understand not wanting to be sick but honestly, it's part of the job. All you can realistically do is enforce your illness policy and make sure your own family gets plenty of good food, good rest and lots of fresh air.

Monday night rolls around. DCM texts...kids have been fine all day. They are coming Tuesday.

They come today. DCB1 looks horrible. DCP takes one look at him and asks if he has been running a fever because he feels warm. DCM has DCP provider take temp and it's fine. DCM leaves the kids. DCB1 doesn't eat breakfast at all is and is very cranky. DCB2 does't each much and is just not acting like is normal self. DCB1 is put in his pack and play for morning nap.

I would have excluded at first glance as another requirement I have is that the child must be 100% AND able to participate in normal daily activities. By the sounds of it, he was not even close to 100% at drop off.

DCB2 mentions to DCP that DCB1 threw up last night.

If the parent lied about that and what DCB2 says is true, it would be immediate termination as that goes DIRECTLY against my illness policies.

DCB1 wakes up head to toe in diarrhea. Pack and play covered in it. DCP cleans him up and calls Mom. DCM wants to leave DCB2 because she has a lot of work to do at home this afternoon.

Would you tell Mom to take home both boys or would you let her leave one at daycare.

I have a one pick up PER DAY PER FAMILY rule. When a parent comes, they take ALL their children. I don't allow multiple pick ups.
I replied in bold above.
Shell 11:08 AM 03-17-2015
I started to type a response but just have to say,
Been there, done that with cleaning a poopy pack and play- it's so gross!!!
Unregistered 12:09 PM 03-17-2015
Good. The right decision was made. Both kids were sent home.

This family likes to try to take advantage of situations and has a history of not using good judgement. Today was one of those days. Just wanted to make sure that the decision wasn't clouded by my feelings towards them and their past behavior. It was already planned to term them before the summer but it might happen sooner now
Reply Up