Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is there a polite way to shut down the bragger parent?
Indoorvoice 12:40 PM 05-04-2015
I have a dcm who comes in every day wanting to share all the awesome things her dd says and does. While I do consider dcg (16mo) ahead for her age in many areas, she is also behind socially (big time) and has been one of my hardest dcks ever. Dcm is my first drop off by a half hour and spends 5-10 minutes making dcg say my name, say her own name, say my dog's name, and all the new words she has learned. Then she spends another few minutes putting on a show of saying goodbye and usually one or 2 more stories for me about something wonderful dcg has done. I've been trying to busy myself, but since she is my first drop off and my own kids are still sleeping, it seems forced and it is just super awkward for me. Meanwhile my dog is barking outside waking the neighbors up Dcg is calm during this show and doesn't put up a fuss and generally enjoys showing off for me it seems, so I feel like I can't ask for bye bye outside. I certainly can just keep being neutral and basically ignoring as I have been, but I was wondering if you have any polite snappy comebacks for parents like this, because I'm passive-aggressive like that
nannyde 12:58 PM 05-04-2015
What time does she actually leave in the morning?

Tell her you have changed your business hours to x to x and that this will mean she needs to drop off at whatever time she really needs to. The problem is that you are allowing her to drop off and stay when she really doesn't need child care.

When you tell her just say you know this won't affect her being on time because she doesn't go to work until x time each day.

It's Parental Attention Seeking Syndrome. She wants to force you to DO her every day. No one in real life would stand for her show of force every day. She doesn't need to have the kid perform. Tell her if she needs to show you something to video it and put it up on Facebook or send you the video. Otherwise it's not necessary because you are with the child every day.

The kid may be ok now with it but she WILL start refusing. That is going to give mom license to stay even longer and start complaining that the kid is crying every day when she HAS to go to daycare. It's coming soon to a theater near you.
Shell 01:51 PM 05-04-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
What time does she actually leave in the morning?

Tell her you have changed your business hours to x to x and that this will mean she needs to drop off at whatever time she really needs to. The problem is that you are allowing her to drop off and stay when she really doesn't need child care.

When you tell her just say you know this won't affect her being on time because she doesn't go to work until x time each day.

It's Parental Attention Seeking Syndrome. She wants to force you to DO her every day. No one in real life would stand for her show of force every day. She doesn't need to have the kid perform. Tell her if she needs to show you something to video it and put it up on Facebook or send you the video. Otherwise it's not necessary because you are with the child every day.

The kid may be ok now with it but she WILL start refusing. That is going to give mom license to stay even longer and start complaining that the kid is crying every day when she HAS to go to daycare. It's coming soon to a theater near you.
I had a parent just like this and followed this advice- it worked!
Meyou 09:04 AM 05-05-2015
I have a dad like this and I'm just really busy when he arrives. I'm cooking or cleaning or helping someone with something and I just tell him, "Give me a shout when you have him all ready to come in. I'm a little busy this morning." He can perform as much as he wants...alone.
NightOwl 09:40 AM 05-05-2015
That's fantastic, dcm! She's really ahead of the game! Now, if only we could make some improvements in the socialization department....
Reply Up