Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Clothes for Nap
MommyMuffin 05:47 AM 08-12-2016
I'm starting a 5 month old. The mom said I am to take off his clothes and put him in his sleeper for nap times. I don't understand why he wouldn't be comfortable in his clothes. Is this something new for babies? I don't understand.
Luke25 05:58 AM 08-12-2016
I would tell her to dress him in something comfortable that he can sleep in, because you can't change clothes before and after nap every day.
That seems really silly!!
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 08-12-2016
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I'm starting a 5 month old. The mom said I am to take off his clothes and put him in his sleeper for nap times. I don't understand why he wouldn't be comfortable in his clothes. Is this something new for babies? I don't understand.
I've had parents request the same.

I don't think it's a new concept really...
It just seems to be something more first time parents request than others....by the time you have a second child it's the actual napping that you realize is important not the sleepwear.

If you want/can accommodate the request, I would.
If not, just ask that baby be dressed comfortably overall.

I don't see it as a big deal and one that doesn't usually last long.
finsup 06:37 AM 08-12-2016
I've seen it from first time moms who are super strict on a "sleep routine." Which I mean, if they're establishing a good sleep routine, that's great. Personally, I'd rather not change babies clothes for naps and just see how they do. Chances are they won't notice lol. I would reply to mom "oh, that's an interesting idea. Thanks for suggesting it." But make no promise to actually do it
Meeko 06:46 AM 08-12-2016
Nope!

She can bring the baby to daycare in a sleeper if she wants him comfortable. And honestly...if she thinks his awake clothes are UN-comfortable, she needs to address baby's wardrobe.....he's not a breathing fashion statement.......

I ask parents that in order to be fair, they need to multiply any request they make of me by 16 children and see if it still sounds feasible. That usually does the trick.
Controlled Chaos 07:33 AM 08-12-2016
I read the title and thought "you've got to be kidding me!"

Though I do get the attempting a strict sleep routine, and if changing baby into sleepwear when you change their diaper right before putting them down for nap...if YOU don't mind -go for it

I like what Meeko said, I might start saying that to parents. Take that request and multiply it by 10 and see if it makes sense.
Leigh 07:58 AM 08-12-2016
I always encourage parents to just send the kids in sleepers until they're walking. They're more comfortable all day long.
daycarediva 08:44 AM 08-12-2016
No. just no. I dressed my own children in those one piece rompers until they were potty training pretty much, and they even slept in them. They make tank tops/shorts and long sleeve/pants style. I would suggest comfortable clothing, and that changing his clothes unless he is dirty is unrealistic in group care.
AmyKidsCo 09:18 AM 08-12-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Nope!

She can bring the baby to daycare in a sleeper if she wants him comfortable. And honestly...if she thinks his awake clothes are UN-comfortable, she needs to address baby's wardrobe.....he's not a breathing fashion statement.......

I ask parents that in order to be fair, they need to multiply any request they make of me by 16 children and see if it still sounds feasible. That usually does the trick.

Except for me it would only be 7 children, but still...
KiwiKids 07:16 PM 08-12-2016
I have a one that just sleeps better in sleepers. No idea why! We tried not changing outfits for a few weeks and mom was fine with that. DCG would wake and be very restless. Tried the sleeper one day just to see and she slept totally solid. It is just a sleep habit for her. Her room at home stays really chilly with the AC on. I think she would have adjusted to sleeping in her regular outfits ( which are perfectly comfy ) but I don't mind switching the outfits.
Jazzii 05:24 AM 08-13-2016
We don't ever.

We have families who get there very early (6) and bring their kids in pajamas and provide another change of clothes. They learn very quickly that your child will go home in what they came in unless some incident warrants a change
Reply Up