Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I May Have A Problem To Deal With....
youretooloud 08:33 PM 10-06-2011
And, I can't find any information on it.

My kids have been having stomach viruses lately. It started in May, and has happened a few times off and on. The same four kids keep getting it.

Well, tonight, the mom of the youngest one called me. Her son has Hepatitis A. They think he got it in April while he was still living in Honduras. It's common there. His oldest sibling also has it, and has been sick longer then the little guy. But, none of the other family members have it.

So... I need to get the other kids in to be tested too, obviously.

Do I wait for those three to be tested? Or have ALL the kids get tested even if they've had no signs of it?
sharlan 08:46 PM 10-06-2011
Call your pediatrician.

Me, I would notify all of my parents so that there children can be tested. I would also have my children tested.

You are probably going to have some very unhappy parents.
familyschoolcare 07:43 AM 10-07-2011
the local or county health office would be a great resource.
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 10-07-2011
Technical sheet: http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...360_s6HEPA.pdf

Parent Sheet: http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...a%20parent.pdf
Crystal 07:49 AM 10-07-2011
oh, wow!!!!!

yes, have them ALL checked!!! also, be VERY adamant about PROPER handwashing, with soap and water. Hep A is passed through feces.....which means SOMEONE isn't washing well.

I also think you are supposed to report it to licensing AND the local health department. And, sterilize EVERYTHING with bleach water.

Good Luck.
youretooloud 07:51 AM 10-07-2011
Thanks! I told all the parents today, and I'm going in to get tested tonight after work, but the results don't come back right away.

The original boy is in Nicaragua right now.... so, I have no idea when he was tested, but she didn't call me until about 8:00 pm last night.
Cat Herder 10:42 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
And, I can't find any information on it.

My kids have been having stomach viruses lately. It started in May, and has happened a few times off and on. The same four kids keep getting it.

Well, tonight, the mom of the youngest one called me. Her son has Hepatitis A. They think he got it in April while he was still living in Honduras. It's common there. His oldest sibling also has it, and has been sick longer then the little guy. But, none of the other family members have it.

So... I need to get the other kids in to be tested too, obviously.

Do I wait for those three to be tested? Or have ALL the kids get tested even if they've had no signs of it?
Straight from CDC Guidelines.

Hep A:

2-7 week incubation (usually 25-30 days)

Spread by eating contaminated food/water: close contact with infected individuals; contact with infected stool

Contagious from 2 weeks before illness until 1 week after jaundice has begun.

Providers must report to County Health Department. Young Children (younger than 5) often asymptomatic; one case may indicate a childcare center outbreak. Treatment of contacts may be necessary.

Infected caregivers should not prepare meals for others and should consider immunizations to prevent

Ugh, my page had not updated... I did not see Blackcats post
youretooloud 12:30 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Straight from CDC Guidelines.

Hep A:

2-7 week incubation (usually 25-30 days)

Spread by eating contaminated food/water: close contact with infected individuals; contact with infected stool

Contagious from 2 weeks before illness until 1 week after jaundice has begun.

Providers must report to County Health Department. Young Children (younger than 5) often asymptomatic; one case may indicate a childcare center outbreak. Treatment of contacts may be necessary.

Infected caregivers should not prepare meals for others and should consider immunizations to prevent

Ugh, my page had not updated... I did not see Blackcats post

OK...But, this was back in April. He moved back to central America in August. It seems odd to me that she would call me and say she thinks he picked it up in Honduras when he left there in Late March.
Michael 04:22 PM 10-07-2011
I don't know if anyone mentioned it here but I believe there is a vaccination for Hep A.

From the CDC:

Hepatitis A is a liver disease caused by the hepatitis A virus (HAV). Hepatitis A can affect anyone. Vaccines are available for long-term prevention of HAV infection in persons 1 year of age and older. Good personal hygiene and proper sanitation can also help prevent the spread of hepatitis A.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/hepa/default.htm
Cat Herder 04:37 PM 10-07-2011
OK...But, this was back in April. He moved back to central America in August. It seems odd to me that she would call me and say she thinks he picked it up in Honduras when he left there in Late March.
Yes, but the process can take from 6 weeks to 6 months with most children being asymtomatic..but still infectious.

On the plus side, once you get it, you are immune for life...

I had my hep series because of my other job, but it is recomended for all childcare providers, too.
youretooloud 04:54 PM 10-07-2011
Most of the kids went in this afternoon for a test, and I just got back. They told me she'd call me next week with the results. Sheesh.
Cat Herder 04:58 PM 10-07-2011
Most of the kids went in this afternoon for a test, and I just got back. They told me she'd call me next week with the results. Sheesh.
Sorry, hun...it only sucks a little, though.....

No alcohol, avoid OTC medications since the dosages will be messed up with a low functioning liver (temporary) lot's of sleep and plenty of fluids.... Hmm...wait, this could work in your favor. Sounds like a doctor ordered vacation to me....

My last true vacation was walking pneumonia/flu.
youretooloud 06:36 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
No alcohol,

Ooops. Too late.

Honestly, I doubt anybody else has it. Even the doctor said it's not very likely. But, we got tested anyway.
Tags:stomach virus
Reply Up