Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing after just One Year
Unregistered 01:56 PM 06-03-2015
I have made the choice to close after being open just one year. I have had one child since day 1, one for 10 months, and one for only a couple of months (whose concern when they enrolled was that I didn't have plans of stopping care anytime soon as it happened twice to them before). I am quitting as my middle child was just diagnosed with ASD and my time is needed elsewhere. There is no good way to give my family the special attention they will need and care for 4 other children. Luckily, I have already found all of the children alternative care in the home daycare done by the lady just across the street from me, so all the daycare kids could stay together. I know there are endless ideas of resignation letters but I am unsure what to do I'm my circumstance. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (I'm a reg member but choosing to stay anonymous for this).
Shell 02:14 PM 06-03-2015
You've got all your bases covered with finding them new care, all together (which is really nice, btw).

Congrats on doing what is best for your family, and don't worry about the families- they will understand.

How about something like...
"I've decided to focus more of my time on my family, and my last day will be (x). I have enjoyed working with your families, and wish you the best.
(X), provider across the street, has space for all of the children, should you wish to keep them enrolled together. You cab reach her at (x).

Thank you,
provider
e.j. 03:32 PM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
You've got all your bases covered with finding them new care, all together (which is really nice, btw).

Congrats on doing what is best for your family, and don't worry about the families- they will understand.

How about something like...
"I've decided to focus more of my time on my family, and my last day will be (x). I have enjoyed working with your families, and wish you the best.
(X), provider across the street, has space for all of the children, should you wish to keep them enrolled together. You cab reach her at (x).

Thank you,
provider
I would want to reinforce the fact that this closing wasn't planned when you agreed to take on that last family you mentioned who has gone through this kind of thing twice before. I would maybe start the letter above with "Due to unforeseen circumstances, I've decided to close my child care business. My last day will be..."

Hopefully, your dc families will understand and appreciate the fact that you've gone the extra mile for them by checking into availability at your neighbor's day care. Good luck.
Unregistered 07:00 PM 06-03-2015
Thanks for the advice.
My husband thinks we should talk to the families in person, but I'm not that kind of person - I would cry immediately, lol.

So- how do I do it? Email Friday after everyone leaves ? (I am giving a month notice)
Send a letter Friday when they leave sealed in their bagS?
childcaremom 02:23 AM 06-04-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for the advice.
My husband thinks we should talk to the families in person, but I'm not that kind of person - I would cry immediately, lol.

So- how do I do it? Email Friday after everyone leaves ? (I am giving a month notice)
Send a letter Friday when they leave sealed in their bagS?
When I closed, I wrote a brief letter for each family (very similar to yours) and handed it to them at pick up. I had a brief discussion with each family in person as I handed it to them and explained a bit about why I was closing.

It was REALLY hard to do because I loved most of my families, however I am glad I did. It got MUCH easier as I moved down the list.

Families will be surprised but they will get over it. All of mine were shocked but not one complained. They all understood.

You can do this
Unregistered 05:47 AM 06-04-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
When I closed, I wrote a brief letter for each family (very similar to yours) and handed it to them at pick up. I had a brief discussion with each family in person as I handed it to them and explained a bit about why I was closing.

It was REALLY hard to do because I loved most of my families, however I am glad I did. It got MUCH easier as I moved down the list.

Families will be surprised but they will get over it. All of mine were shocked but not one complained. They all understood.

You can do this
People would actually complain about a family home closing? That seems crummy. I hope not in this situation. My ASD kiddo has been having problems at school and with school ending and having her home all day it will be REALLYhard to give the other kids (all the daycare kids) what they need with her being home all day. Plus, she will have some OT starting and other appointments I just cannot make work. I hope I don't need to go into that kind of detail with families to make them understand.
Reply Up