Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2018 Hot Car Deaths
Cat Herder 10:22 AM 05-21-2018
https://www.shreveporttimes.com/stor...ort/623133002/ - 6 month old - "Forgot to take her to daycare."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hot-car...as-2017-05-17/ - 7 month old - "Forgot to take her to daycare"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/baby-dies-...ry?id=54253787 - 10 month old - "Forgot to take to daycare"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/mi...301-story.html - 1 year old - "Forgot to take him to daycare"

If they are late showing up, just send a text.

Yes, I strongly feel if more parents were held accountable we might see less of this. Until then a 10-second text could save a life.

Parents: Look Again!!!!!!!

An examination of media reports about the 700 child vehicular heatstroke deaths for a 19-year period (1998 through 2017) shows the following circumstances:

54% - child "forgotten" by caregiver (376 Children)

28% - child playing in unattended vehicle (198)

17% - child intentionally left in vehicle by adult (120)

1% - circumstances unknown (6)
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
https://www.shreveporttimes.com/stor...ort/623133002/ - 6 month old - "Forgot to take her to daycare."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hot-car...as-2017-05-17/ - 7 month old - "Forgot to take her to daycare"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/baby-dies-...ry?id=54253787 - 10 month old - "Forgot to take to daycare"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/mi...301-story.html - 1 year old - "Forgot to take him to daycare"

Yes, I strongly feel if more parents were held accountable we might see less of this. Until then a 10-second text could save a life.

An examination of media reports about the 700 child vehicular heatstroke deaths for a 19-year period (1998 through 2017) shows the following circumstances:

It's tragic for sure but until they make a law (like the good Samaritan law) stating providers are NOT liable should they not text or call, I will never agree to sending a text or calling.

I am responsible for multiple children at one time and placing that kind of responsibility on me as a group caregiver (that counts head constantly) is unfair and unrealistic.

A parent that has ONE child (usually...multiple concurrent deaths are rare) should bear the responsibility.

If baby has two parents, maybe the other (the one not in charge of dropping off at daycare) should be required to call and check to see if baby arrived.
storybookending 12:04 PM 05-21-2018
We are supposed to here. I always do. If anything happened to a child in my care I would be devastated. If it was something I could’ve prevented with a simple text and didn’t I couldn’t live with myself.
happymom 12:11 PM 05-21-2018
I hate these.
I can not imagine the panic a parent must feel when they discover he/she discovers this mistake was made. It's so devastating to think about a small child enduring the emotional and physical pain of being left to die like this.

It just makes me so so sad.
Unregistered 01:16 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's tragic for sure but until they make a law (like the good Samaritan law) stating providers are NOT liable should they not text or call, I will never agree to sending a text or calling.

I am responsible for multiple children at one time and placing that kind of responsibility on me as a group caregiver (that counts head constantly) is unfair and unrealistic.

A parent that has ONE child (usually...multiple concurrent deaths are rare) should bear the responsibility.

If baby has two parents, maybe the other (the one not in charge of dropping off at daycare) should be required to call and check to see if baby arrived.
^^^^THIS^^^^

My parents are not always prompt. It would be a nightmare to have to call them. It is my responsibility to care for children once they walk in my door. Before that the responsibility should be on the parents.

So should we also be required to call to be sure they bring their children in the house at night?
Cat Herder 01:26 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So should we also be required to call to be sure they bring their children in the house at night?
I never said "required". That was a projection. My statement was simple. "If they are late showing up, just send a text."

I will further clarify.

If you are expecting a kid and they don't show up at their usual time a simple text could save their life.

I don't get why that statement is controversial and have no intention of debating the concept's merit.
Mike 01:10 PM 05-21-2018
Good suggestions there.

School parking lot for hours and nobody noticed?

Forgotten Baby Syndrome - Some might say it's legit, others an excuse. Either way, parents need to do more to make sure they don't forget. I'm sure when the dad was called and he went out to the car to see baby still in it, he was devastated. Sometimes life can make you forget little things, but babies aren't little things.

Said: “This is the first U.S. child that has died this year due to heatstroke in a vehicle,”
The 1st of how many?

Some daycares would have trouble adding monitoring and reminders to their already busy schedule, but if I ever do go into daycare, I'd do it. If someone was on a regular schedule and was running late, I'd be texting to check up because I would assume that if there's a change of plans, the parent would notify me, and I would be wondering what's going on.
Cat Herder 01:29 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Mike:
Said: “This is the first U.S. child that has died this year due to heatstroke in a vehicle,”
The 1st of how many?
There will be more, summer is just starting. This happens many times, every year.
Ac114 02:01 PM 05-21-2018
I’ll never forget the time a man in an office below my office left his child in the child in the middle of summer. This happened about 2 years ago and we were off to lunch (11:30ish) ambulance was just arriving and I witnessed them pull a limp child out of the car. I was horrified, angry, sick to stomach, and saddended. They blocked the entire entrance off from anyone being able to enter or exit which caused a huge audience. Everyone was concerned for this child and I couldn’t help but go to my car and just cry. I ended up leaving early that day because I just couldnt bounce back into work mode after something like that.

Thankfully the child did survived but it hit so close to home. You read these stories on the internet or see the news and think how could that possibly happen. I don’t know how or why but it’s not something I ever want to experience again. I usually do send text messages to my families if they are late just because it bugs me that I don’t get a heads up that they are running behind. If I can save a life by a simple text, then I’ll keep sending my texts.
Josiegirl 03:19 PM 05-21-2018
I send a text too, just because I want to know if they're coming or not.

These things make me sad and angry. Just how does it happen? How CAN it happen? I try to not judge but this is a hard one.
Mike 03:25 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I send a text too, just because I want to know if they're coming or not.

These things make me sad and angry. Just how does it happen? How CAN it happen? I try to not judge but this is a hard one.
I'm with you on that one. I realise it's possible, but there's no way I'd forget that I have a kid in the back seat.
Country Kids 07:14 AM 06-22-2018
Last evening we had a 2 year old found in her mothers car. It sounds as if mom forgot the little one and didn't drop off at childcare. I'm not totally sure as the story is still being put together.

The mom was arrested and at the last I read is in our country jail. The people who were at the medical area she worked at said her screams were horrifying and nothing that will leave their minds for a long time. They then transported the baby to the ER and same thing-mom was in hysterics and I just can't imagine hearing that.

Mom was a Nurse Practitioner for pediatrics, loved by many, and adored her little one. My heart breaks for her and the comments people are saying make me sooooo angry.

Here is what I don't understand-Most kids talk, talk, talk so wouldn't that keep you alert to the fact you have a child in the back seat of your car?

My heart breaks for this family, the child and everyone that was involved with it last night.
Cat Herder 12:21 PM 06-22-2018
I am so sorry to hear that Country Kids.

There are 19, now.

They updated to add:

7 5/18/2018 Andalusia, AL 91° Layla Dees 4 yr

Then the most recent:

18 6/21/2018 Roseburg, OR 81° Remington Engler 21 mo

17 6/20/2018 Willits, CA 80° Chergery Teywoh Lew Mays 18 mo
Country Kids 12:49 PM 06-22-2018
Thank you Cat Herder! This family has been on my mind all day long.

Mom is being charged with Manslaughter from what I have read. The look on her face in the mugshot is of distraught and so much emotion.

People have asked why didn't the daycare call? I'm not sure on the story yet, but I am wondering if mom got called into work, became distracted and forgot baby in back. Daycare wouldn't have been scheduled so there would have been no need to place a call looking for the child.

Auto pilot is a real thing! Last week after class I was to return my text book to the library. Thought about it as I was getting into my car, drove down the parking lot and instead of turning to the library I turned to go home-30 sec after getting into my car. I remembered only after I had gotten home that I still had them and had to run them back out to the college. I could have easily though not remembered and still have them in there.

I am implementing a policy this weekend that children need to be dropped off daily by the same parent at the same time. The reason for this is I have several parents where dad might drop off at one time, or if mom is bring it will be at a different time. So new policy will be same parent at the same time each day. That way no time goes by for when child should or could be here, it is the same each day.
Country Kids 02:29 PM 07-13-2018
Another child was left in a car about 2 hours north of me. Dad went into the courthouse to pay a fine and forgot child was in the back of the car.

Thankfully a passerbyer saw the child and broke out the window. When dad came out he was furious with the person till he saw them holding the baby.

So I'm wondering, the people that leave babies in the car that are rescued, will they be held accountable? I haven't read anything with these parents being arrested or anything. So it sounds as if they are able to leave with the child.

Another child died in CA today or yesterday. Got out of the house, and was able to get into the car and couldn't get out. Found hours later deceased. Mother blamed the locks on the door of the house wasn't safe enough to keep child in.
Cat Herder 05:59 AM 07-16-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Another child was left in a car about 2 hours north of me. Dad went into the courthouse to pay a fine and forgot child was in the back of the car.

Thankfully a passerbyer saw the child and broke out the window. When dad came out he was furious with the person till he saw them holding the baby.

So I'm wondering, the people that leave babies in the car that are rescued, will they be held accountable? I haven't read anything with these parents being arrested or anything. So it sounds as if they are able to leave with the child.

Another child died in CA today or yesterday. Got out of the house, and was able to get into the car and couldn't get out. Found hours later deceased. Mother blamed the locks on the door of the house wasn't safe enough to keep child in.
I think you are right. When the child survives it is up to the the responding officer. Just Culture should really be used, but I don't know how long that would take to trickle to all states.

We are up to 24, now. And we are not done for the summer.

24 7/14/2018 Medina, OH 93° Girl 6 mo
23 7/13/2018 Pembroke Pines, FL 93° Boy 17 mo
22 7/9/2018 Sweetwater, TN 87° Greg Puckett 3 yr
21 7/7/2018 South Sacramento, CA 95° Alejandro Lopez Jr. 2 yr
LysesKids 11:40 AM 07-16-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

And my daycare families always ask why I have alarms on my doors... so if a toddler gets it open it sounds off & lets me know a door opened that shouldn't; it's also Why I have locked gated deck doors, so if a child does get out the screen, they can't get to the steps or off the porch
Josiegirl 02:27 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
And my daycare families always ask why I have alarms on my doors... so if a toddler gets it open it sounds off & lets me know a door opened that shouldn't; it's also Why I have locked gated deck doors, so if a child does get out the screen, they can't get to the steps or off the porch
It's scary what little ones can get themselves into, and how quickly. Even when we think we've got our eyes on everyone.
Annalee 05:57 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It's scary what little ones can get themselves into, and how quickly. Even when we think we've got our eyes on everyone.
Kids can quickly get into things but I still can't fathom leaving my child in a car especially for all day! Just can't grasp that!
Blackcat31 09:14 AM 07-20-2018
3 yr old boy dies after being forgotten in a daycare van for hours after field trip....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=spartanntp
Tags:a mothers job the history of daycare, bonding, death, disengagement, distracted parents, hot car death, hot car death prevention, hot car deaths, late arrivals, long hours in care, willful ignorance
Reply Up