Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ALRIGHT You Pro's, Gimme Some Reassurance!!!
KristinsHomeCC 10:21 AM 07-27-2015
Okay -- So this is my 4th post I believe about having a problem, and I only have 1 DCK. Starting to notice a pattern . . .

Every morning, DCD drops him off. In my contract, it states I am to be paid my weekly rate ($150) every Friday. If it is not paid by Friday, then Monday morning comes and you MUST pay in order to drop your child off and you must include a $20 late fee. This is because I go grocery shopping on weekends to ensure your child has food for the week. If you don't pay me until Monday, I tack on a late fee because I then had to use my own money to live off to buy your kids food. I'm sure you all understand this and imply similar rules to your daycares.

These parents are real young and just got on their feet after having this baby a year ago. So when they first started, I let them slide and they paid the morning of their 1st day, which was a Monday. Ever since then (7 weeks now) they've still needed to pay on Monday in order to catch up. I am a very, very kind person and I hate confrontation and to be strict. I know what's its like to need to get ahead and never really getting there. ANYWAYS, the dad this morning paid me (a folded up $150, like every monday) and I never count it in front of him. I put it on the counter and start playing with the DCK while the DCD is saying his goodbyes/leaving. The DCM texted me about 15 minutes later and asked if the DCD paid (which she has never done?) I said yes, went and counted it, and it was only $50 (short $100). I told her, and her response was "he's a man...what else can I say" implying that he must have forgot or didn't grab it to include it with the other 50. About 3 hours later, she texts me and says she talked to DCD and he doesn't have it. She knows 100% for sure it was in the folded money. Then she mentioned how she guesses the other $100 would have to come out of their rent which was already going to be late. Next time, she will pay me and get a receipt right then and there (normally, DCD pays and I give DCM the receipt upon pickup that afternoon), and how that $100 "just disappeared". I have never counted the money because I feel for 1) it is not my responsibility. It's your kid, your money. I realize in hindsight this is stupid and now I feel as though I am being accused of not being honest. I have cameras all throughout my house and can show a video of me counting it, laying it on the counter, and leaving it there. Still there.

I am sorry this is so long, jeez. I am just so frustrated and I really feel as though there's always SOMETHING stressing me out about this DCM. I like her as a person and have tried to give them the most lieutenancy ever. I am an over thinker and a pushover. So this could be me overreacting. I just want to tell her, I am sorry but handling your finances is your responsibility! I offer a service, and I get paid for that service. Your part came up short and it's your responsibility to pay it!

So my question is...besides the obvious and counting the money infront of them upon payment...how would you handle this situation???
Thriftylady 10:23 AM 07-27-2015
That is tough. I always count right then and do a receipt right then. Just because I fear something like this. I am not sure what you can do though.
bklsmum 10:31 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
Okay -- So this is my 4th post I believe about having a problem, and I only have 1 DCK. Starting to notice a pattern . . .

Every morning, DCD drops him off. In my contract, it states I am to be paid my weekly rate ($150) every Friday. If it is not paid by Friday, then Monday morning comes and you MUST pay in order to drop your child off and you must include a $20 late fee. This is because I go grocery shopping on weekends to ensure your child has food for the week. If you don't pay me until Monday, I tack on a late fee because I then had to use my own money to live off to buy your kids food. I'm sure you all understand this and imply similar rules to your daycares.

These parents are real young and just got on their feet after having this baby a year ago. So when they first started, I let them slide and they paid the morning of their 1st day, which was a Monday. Ever since then (7 weeks now) they've still needed to pay on Monday in order to catch up. I am a very, very kind person and I hate confrontation and to be strict. I know what's its like to need to get ahead and never really getting there. ANYWAYS, the dad this morning paid me (a folded up $150, like every monday) and I never count it in front of him. I put it on the counter and start playing with the DCK while the DCD is saying his goodbyes/leaving. The DCM texted me about 15 minutes later and asked if the DCD paid (which she has never done?) I said yes, went and counted it, and it was only $50 (short $100). I told her, and her response was "he's a man...what else can I say" implying that he must have forgot or didn't grab it to include it with the other 50. About 3 hours later, she texts me and says she talked to DCD and he doesn't have it. She knows 100% for sure it was in the folded money. Then she mentioned how she guesses the other $100 would have to come out of their rent which was already going to be late. Next time, she will pay me and get a receipt right then and there (normally, DCD pays and I give DCM the receipt upon pickup that afternoon), and how that $100 "just disappeared". I have never counted the money because I feel for 1) it is not my responsibility. It's your kid, your money. I realize in hindsight this is stupid and now I feel as though I am being accused of not being honest. I have cameras all throughout my house and can show a video of me counting it, laying it on the counter, and leaving it there. Still there.

I am sorry this is so long, jeez. I am just so frustrated and I really feel as though there's always SOMETHING stressing me out about this DCM. I like her as a person and have tried to give them the most lieutenancy ever. I am an over thinker and a pushover. So this could be me overreacting. I just want to tell her, I am sorry but handling your finances is your responsibility! I offer a service, and I get paid for that service. Your part came up short and it's your responsibility to pay it!

So my question is...besides the obvious and counting the money infront of them upon payment...how would you handle this situation???
If you have cameras that captured it then you are all set. I would show them the tape and tell the they have to pay it. Period. My guess is that they know damn well they didn't pay it which is why she texted and asked.
Blackcat31 10:37 AM 07-27-2015

I'd send this text:

"DCD is wrong about the payment amount. I have cameras that show he only paid $50. I am sorry it will leave you short on rent this month. Thankfully with the remaining payment I will get from you in cash at pick up, I'll be able to pay some of my bills too. Thanks, see you at pick up!"

I would STOP entertaining sob stories from this family about how they can't afford to pay rent now etc etc..... I'm sorry but it's THEIR child, therefore THEIR financial responsibility.

You were already kind enough to waive a policy for them, let late payments go and not charge them a late fee....now they are counting on you to feel badly enough to again waive/change or alter a policy for them....notice a pattern here?

Set your policies and enforce them to a T. Don't waive/bend or change rules for anyone...until they can atleast prove to you that they are worthy of this benefit of the doubt.

Otherwise what you are doing is basically borrowing money to complete strangers....

I'd make an outline of the payment policies and give it to them at pick up and tell them from toady forward there will be no more "exceptions"
Heidi 10:39 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
If you have cameras that captured it then you are all set. I would show them the tape and tell the they have to pay it. Period. My guess is that they know damn well they didn't pay it which is why she texted and asked.

Be prepared for them to throw a tantrum to support their claim, and don't be surprised if they walk. You're going to have to be very direct, professional, and stand your ground. It's NOT your problem; it's theirs.

My guess is that this will blow up, unfortunately, and if you're regulated, I'd call me licenser.

In the future, don't give leeway, and in cash situations, always count it and write a receipt right away. I'm sure you were trying to be polite, but it's not a birthday gift, it's a business.
Second Home 10:39 AM 07-27-2015
I agree that she knew the whole amount was not there , why else would she text you to be sure if she has never done that before .

I hate to be negative but maybe this was a way for them to say they paid and you must have lost , dropped or are not telling the truth .

From now on I would check and count the amount in front of them , have a partially filled out receipt ready to hand them after filling in the amount.

I would also mention that you have the cameras and it recorded you accepting the money , later counting it and that it sat on the counter the rest of the time untouched .
childcaremom 10:46 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd send this text:

"DCD is wrong about the payment amount. I have cameras that show he only paid $50. I am sorry it will leave you short on rent this month. Thankfully with the remaining payment I will get from you in cash at pick up, I'll be able to pay some of my bills too. Thanks, see you at pick up!"

I would STOP entertaining sob stories from this family about how they can't afford to pay rent now etc etc..... I'm sorry but it's THEIR child, therefore THEIR financial responsibility.

You were already kind enough to waive a policy for them, let late payments go and not charge them a late fee....now they are counting on you to feel badly enough to again waive/change or alter a policy for them....notice a pattern here?

Set your policies and enforce them to a T. Don't waive/bend or change rules for anyone...until they can atleast prove to you that they are worthy of this benefit of the doubt.

Otherwise what you are doing is basically borrowing money to complete strangers....

I'd make an outline of the payment policies and give it to them at pick up and tell them from toady forward there will be no more "exceptions"

I would not budge on this. Period.

I would also go over payment policies again and tell them that from now on you will be sticking to your policies.

If they don't bring the rest at pick up, tell them that services are suspended until the balance is paid in full and that late fees are accruing.

(I would also maybe only accept emt payments from now on.)

ETA: Do not feel badly about asking for YOUR money. You are a business and deserve to get paid. Do not give them reasons as to why you need the money. The less detail the better. BC has a really good wording and I would use it exactly. Good luck!
KristinsHomeCC 10:55 AM 07-27-2015
Thank you ladies. I feel so much better, I LOVE this forum and I love you all. I am quickly learning I need to grow some balls in this business. I am just really hoping she goes home tonight and sees a $100 bill on the counter!!!
Blackcat31 11:01 AM 07-27-2015
Thank you ladies. I feel so much better, I LOVE this forum and I love you all. I am quickly learning I need to grow some balls in this business. I am just really hoping she goes home tonight and sees a $100 bill on the counter!!!
...I would be willing to bet this $100 that there was no $100 in the first place. They were counting on your empathy....
mommyneedsadayoff 11:11 AM 07-27-2015
"Dcm I would be happy to show you my video feed if it helps you realize that full payment was not brought to me. I expect the rest of my payment to be brought at pick up and will expect next weeks payment on Friday for the following week. I will count out the money in front of you or dcd, as well as provide a receipt. As you know, paying bills can be tough, so I am sure you understand me needing my payment on time and in full so that I may cover my own bills."

On a side note, I would be p!ssed. I do not take kindly to being short changed and more over, I do not take kindly to being called a liar, which is basically what they did by saying they handed you all the money. I know it is your only family, but that would be the end of it for me.
KristinsHomeCC 11:16 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
"Dcm I would be happy to show you my video feed if it helps you realize that full payment was not brought to me. I expect the rest of my payment to be brought at pick up and will expect next weeks payment on Friday for the following week. I will count out the money in front of you or dcd, as well as provide a receipt. As you know, paying bills can be tough, so I am sure you understand me needing my payment on time and in full so that I may cover my own bills."

On a side note, I would be p!ssed. I do not take kindly to being short changed and more over, I do not take kindly to being called a liar, which is basically what they did by saying they handed you all the money. I know it is your only family, but that would be the end of it for me.
I am pretty livid about it. I am stressed, but at the same time...her saying she knows 100% it was there, is basically calling me a liar!! Thanks for saying that because now I don't feel crazy. I try not to jump to conclusion that she is accusing me of that, but the more I think about it...the more angry I become!
CraftyMom 11:37 AM 07-27-2015
I had a mom one time when I first started that always paid on time. My policy at the time was that if payment wasn't made by Tuesday I would not accept the child (that has changed, this was my first client).

So it was Tuesday and she hadn't paid so I asked about it and she insisted she paid, etc. I received a text 15 minutes after she left that she went home and found the money in her jacket pocket. She had made a stop that morning and put the money in her pocket which she usually wouldn't do. Then completely forgot about it.

I guess I'm saying it COULD happen that he thought he gave you all the money. But given the whole situation, and mom texting to ask about it, I am HIGHLY skeptical.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:40 AM 07-27-2015
I am pretty livid about it. I am stressed, but at the same time...her saying she knows 100% it was there, is basically calling me a liar!! Thanks for saying that because now I don't feel crazy. I try not to jump to conclusion that she is accusing me of that, but the more I think about it...the more angry I become!
She doesn't know 100% because she never handed it to you or counted it out in front of you. She actually knows the LEAST, because she wasn't even there. The fact that she checked on payment, when you say she never does, tells me A LOT! I hate to be the skeptic, but I feel like they knew you wouldn't check it, then waited to text you later and then claim it was all there. In my experience, when money is tight for families, they are VERY aware of how much they are paying you and they usually count it out to the penny, so I highly doubt they misplaced a $100 bill...it was never there to begin with and they were hoping you wouldn't notice so they could blame you, rather than blame themselves for not covering the payment they agreed to.
Unregistered 12:03 PM 07-27-2015
Have the childs stuff ready. They won't have the 100 dollars when they come today. If they don't term immediately for not folowing policy and accusing you of theft.
CraftyMom 12:06 PM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
She doesn't know 100% because she never handed it to you or counted it out in front of you. She actually knows the LEAST, because she wasn't even there. The fact that she checked on payment, when you say she never does, tells me A LOT! I hate to be the skeptic, but I feel like they knew you wouldn't check it, then waited to text you later and then claim it was all there. In my experience, when money is tight for families, they are VERY aware of how much they are paying you and they usually count it out to the penny, so I highly doubt they misplaced a $100 bill...it was never there to begin with and they were hoping you wouldn't notice so they could blame you, rather than blame themselves for not covering the payment they agreed to.
You're not the only skeptic...I 100% agree with you. It COULD happen that they forgot, but not likely in this case. And like you said if money is tight you don't just misplace $100. They KNEW she didn't count it right then and there and took advantage of that fact.
KristinsHomeCC 12:12 PM 07-27-2015
Well...I am thankful for my cameras. I'm sure this won't be the 1st time they'll cover my a$$!
Thriftylady 12:54 PM 07-27-2015
Well...I am thankful for my cameras. I'm sure this won't be the 1st time they'll cover my a$$!
Now I am wondering if I should get cameras. Seems like an expensive venture though.
KristinsHomeCC 12:56 PM 07-27-2015
We just happened to have them for home security (husband is a nut job over that stuff) so luckily, they doubled for home daycare
KristinsHomeCC 01:20 PM 07-27-2015
DCM just picked up DCB. She says she gave DCD all 20's, so she has no idea where the 5's and 1's came from.... I don't know. I am going to stay on my toes about them and lay down the law about the payment.
Blackcat31 01:36 PM 07-27-2015
DCM just picked up DCB. She says she gave DCD all 20's, so she has no idea where the 5's and 1's came from.... I don't know. I am going to stay on my toes about them and lay down the law about the payment.
Sounds like DCM will be having an issue with DCD.....

Oh, well NOT your problem.

Did she pay the remaining $100 balance?
KristinsHomeCC 01:38 PM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sounds like DCM will be having an issue with DCD.....

Oh, well NOT your problem.

Did she pay the remaining $100 balance?

Yes. She came inside my house with it in her hand. So she's OK in my book for the time being. Still want my payment on Friday. If not, I'll gladly accept an additional $20 to start my Monday morning
CraftyMom 01:47 PM 07-27-2015
Yes. She came inside my house with it in her hand. So she's OK in my book for the time being. Still want my payment on Friday. If not, I'll gladly accept an additional $20 to start my Monday morning

Sounds like dad has some explaining to do!
Laurel 02:19 PM 07-27-2015
My thinking is it was DAD who she didn't trust, not you. Otherwise she wouldn't have called. Who knows, maybe he has some issues such as a drug or alcohol or gambling problem and she suspects 'him' of taking the money. Don't ask me how I know that family members with these problems cannot be trusted with money.

Laurel
daycare 02:34 PM 07-27-2015
here is how i handle cash payments.

I create an excel spread sheet for the month, count money when it's handed and then make the parent sign off on it.

Example July:

Table with 7 rows

date due amount paid who paid parent signature my signature todays date late fee

7/3/2015 $100.00 Joe Smith xxx xxx date that it was received, no late fee

7/10/2015 $100.00 Jane Smith xxx xxx date that payment was received, no late fee

and so on. It takes about 30 seconds to fill it out.

Then at the end of the month I just give them a copy of it.
AmyLeigh 02:51 PM 07-27-2015
The 5's and 1's made it look like he gave you full payment when stacked together and folded. He was definitely trying to pull one over you and dcm.
She knew something was up, which is why she checked up on him.
Thriftylady 06:08 PM 07-27-2015
Maybe he is a stripper on the side? Okay just kidding of course lol.
childcaremom 04:17 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:

Shell 05:28 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
here is how i handle cash payments.

I create an excel spread sheet for the month, count money when it's handed and then make the parent sign off on it.

Example July:

Table with 7 rows

date due amount paid who paid parent signature my signature todays date late fee

7/3/2015 $100.00 Joe Smith xxx xxx date that it was received, no late fee

7/10/2015 $100.00 Jane Smith xxx xxx date that payment was received, no late fee

and so on. It takes about 30 seconds to fill it out.

Then at the end of the month I just give them a copy of it.
this is great!
DaveA 05:42 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
You're not the only skeptic...I 100% agree with you. It COULD happen that they forgot, but not likely in this case. And like you said if money is tight you don't just misplace $100. They KNEW she didn't count it right then and there and took advantage of that fact.
Agree. The way it went down makes me think it was one or both trying to pull something. I would make sure DCPs know this is the last and only time that happens. One more time results in immediate termination.

With parents that pay cash, ALWAYS count right in front of them and give them a receipt on the spot. I use the duplicate receipts and have the parents sign it. I only have one parent pay cash (DCM is a bit of a conspiracy nut and doesn't trust banks ) and strongly discourage parents and providers from dealing in cash.

Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
You know- the ONE JOKE I wasn't going to make.
Thriftylady 06:53 AM 07-28-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:

You know- the ONE JOKE I wasn't going to make.
Between you and I I think we cover them all LOL. My hubby is never surprised by anything I say anymore after being married 15 years.
rosieteddy 08:57 AM 07-28-2015
I always felt funny counting money in front of clients.I would defineately do it now.Have reciept ready and count as soon as handed to you. I would address this with both parents.I would send a note to both parents explaining that the new policy of counting in front of parent is because of the discrepancy debate of last payment.I would let them know you do not appreciate them questioning your ethics.I would also expect payments on the right day Friday.Hopefully this will not be an issue..Good luck.
Reply Up