Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>QRIS STRIKES AGAIN...vent
daycare 09:25 AM 09-16-2015
So because of the drought, I was all of my dishes by hand. I use a special organic soap with rinse solution. I have a large well type sink. We have on bucket for wash and one for rinse, we dump the water in our garden when done.

We also dry all of the dishes too.

I was told that I can not dry the dishes any more with a towel due to cross contamination.

OMG REALLY PEOPLE. like I am going to wipe the floor with a towel and then dry the dishes.

UGH.....so now they have to sit and air dry which may not be available for the next meal.

WHY WHY WHY
Crystal 09:30 AM 09-16-2015
Use paper! I know, wasteful, but I have resorted to it for the most part due to the drought.
Cat Herder 09:31 AM 09-16-2015
Really, really.

We have the 3 step +air dry or dishwasher, only options.
daycare 09:33 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
Use paper! I know, wasteful, but I have resorted to it for the most part due to the drought.
i dont have paper anything in my whole house....geeerrrrrr .lol
sharlan 09:33 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
But, but, that fills up the landfills! (Being sarcastic here.) I use mostly paper plates.
sharlan 09:33 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
Please tell me that you use paper tp?

(Sorry, I am in a mood this morning.)
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:

reusable, washable cloths only....

KIDDING!!!
Cat Herder 09:35 AM 09-16-2015
Then you won't want to hear about the two paper towel, per kid, per hand wash, issue. One for hands, one to turn off water... AFTER they dry their hands and toss the first one.
Annalee 09:38 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Then you won't want to hear about the two paper towew, per kid, per hand wash, issue. One for hands, one to turn off water... AFTER they dry their hands and toss the first one.
Right there with you, Cat Herder...The deeper you get into QRIS, the deeper it gets and the more annoying it gets..... QRIS eventually becomes a GAME and you decide if you wanna play or not or just play at certain times
childcaremom 09:40 AM 09-16-2015

I am in Canada so don't really know anything about these programs but the rules seem over the top crazy. Obviously designed for a purpose but what purpose?

Goodness.
Cat Herder 09:43 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Right there with you, Cat Herder...The deeper you get into QRIS, the deeper it gets and the more annoying it gets..... QRIS eventually becomes a GAME and you decide if you wanna play or not or just play at certain times
Exactly!!!

"If you are not cheating, you are not trying" was actually said a lot in school.

It is too much.

Then a 2 minute bleach/then rinse of the sink after toileting hand washes. Between each kid. But wait!! No kid can wait more than 3 minutes for your undivided attention....

I think it is to keep us all feeling inferior.... so our pay makes more sense. Eh, it keeps me on my feet for sure.
Annalee 09:46 AM 09-16-2015
Exactly!!!

"If you are not cheating, you are not trying" was actually said a lot in school.

It is too much.

Then a 2 minute bleach/then rinse of the sink after toileting hand washes. Between each kid. But wait!! No, kid can wait more than 3 minutes for your undivided attention....

I think it is to keep us all feeling inferior.... so our pay makes more sense. Eh, it keeps me on my feet for sure.
The system is set up for providers to "fail" and it should be a system that encourages providers to "exceed"....In my state, when we get good at the "game", they change the rules....a continuous effort to keep "control" of providers.....
Laurel 09:47 AM 09-16-2015
So because of the drought, I was all of my dishes by hand. I use a special organic soap with rinse solution. I have a large well type sink. We have on bucket for wash and one for rinse, we dump the water in our garden when done.

We also dry all of the dishes too.

I was told that I can not dry the dishes any more with a towel due to cross contamination.

OMG REALLY PEOPLE. like I am going to wipe the floor with a towel and then dry the dishes.

UGH.....so now they have to sit and air dry which may not be available for the next meal.

WHY WHY WHY
Asinine QRIS rules as usual....

I think what you providers need to do is get together and try to fight some of these ridiculous rules together. They kept trying to get QRIS (for years) to be adopted in Florida but as of last year when I retired they didn't. I think it was in large part because providers in most counties have provider associations and we have a state one. Providers get together and talk, vent, have trainings together and have fought many regulations together. Several providers were cooperative (not me ) with QRIS because these people wanted to come to our houses and test it out. I think all of the providers finally dropped out because the expectations were N.U.T.S. One of the providers said someone actually took a ruler and measured how long her grass was under a slide.

So sorry you have to put up with this. I'm for you.

Laurel
Cat Herder 09:52 AM 09-16-2015
Laurel, It is at the federal level.

We don't have the funds to fight that.

We have to dance and be pretty PR monkeys... Dance. Dance. Be happy... Our state educational system needs the money for the upper grades. I dance for them.

It is like the rest... wait 5 years. It will swing back across the pendulum.

The classes are AWESOME, though. The professors know how asinine it is and work WITH you to help.

I have been asked to become a trainer as well. I just don't have the time... plus they can't afford me.
Thriftylady 09:57 AM 09-16-2015
Actually in many states now it is illegal to wipe dishes dry. They say it is safer to let them air dry. Here in Ohio they regulate that highly in commercial kitchens, it is even covered in food handlers licensing. Even using paper towels here I think would be against the rules.
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 09-16-2015
I said it a few years back and I'll say it again......

The goal in my honest opinion IS to push in home family child care providers out of business.

The educational requirements are becoming so important for providers that this is no longer a field sahm's can easily do and since the government wants to lure more pupils (kids) into the public educational system the best way to do it is via early childhood.

They eventually want ALL kids to have early childhood education in a way that can be verified. Play based will not be something that will always be allowed. They want to see results on paper.

QRIS will be the end of in-home family child care as we know it today in the not-so-distant future.
daycare 10:01 AM 09-16-2015

lmao of course not.....

yes, we do have that so not 100% paper free.
Laurel 10:02 AM 09-16-2015
Laurel, It is at the federal level.

We don't have the funds to fight that.

We have to dance and be pretty PR monkeys... Dance. Dance. Be happy... Our state educational system needs the money for the upper grades. I dance for them.

It is like the rest... wait 5 years. It will swing back across the pendulum.

The classes are AWESOME, though. The professors know how asinine it is and work WITH you to help.

I have been asked to become a trainer as well. I just don't have the time... plus they can't afford me.
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean there is mandate from the federal government that states must implement QRIS?

Laurel
Baby lady 10:02 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

The goal in my honest opinion IS to push in home family child care providers out of business.

The educational requirements are becoming so important for providers that this is no longer a field sahm's can easily do and since the government wants to lure more pupils (kids) into the public educational system the best way to do it is via early childhood.

They eventually want ALL kids to have early childhood education in a way that can be verified. Play based will not be something that will always be allowed. They want to see results on paper.

QRIS will be the end of in-home family child care as we know it today in the not-so-distant future.
Well, I'm glad I'm ready to be done soon, after 30 years ... too bad I can't afford to just retire
daycare 10:03 AM 09-16-2015
Then you won't want to hear about the two paper towel, per kid, per hand wash, issue. One for hands, one to turn off water... AFTER they dry their hands and toss the first one.
what the what???????????????????

seriously i want to know who in the world comes up with this stuff.

I am sure it is a person who sits behind a desk and has never walked a day in our shoes or know what its like to run mixed age FAMILY home childcare.

I am soooo over this QRIS.
Annalee 10:03 AM 09-16-2015

daycare 10:04 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Actually in many states now it is illegal to wipe dishes dry. They say it is safer to let them air dry. Here in Ohio they regulate that highly in commercial kitchens, it is even covered in food handlers licensing. Even using paper towels here I think would be against the rules.
well we have crappy air, so either way its dirty....lmao
daycare 10:05 AM 09-16-2015

I sadly have to agree....I said this too in the orientation meeting. I was quickly shushed and again said you can talk to us after
Annalee 10:06 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean there is mandate from the federal government that states must implement QRIS?

Laurel
I think ALL states are working on some sort of QRIS and eventually it will be mandated for ALL states. My state is already QRIS mandated and renewed annually. Providers here get NO choice...You do it or give up your license!
sharlan 10:08 AM 09-16-2015

I totally agree. I've mentioned before that my dd worked in the preschool dept of a large school district. At one meeting, forgot what it was for, a head honcho for the YMCA stated that they needed to put the home daycares out of business because they were taking away too many dollars from legitimate programs.
Cat Herder 10:13 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Laurel
This is an older pdf, but it is short, so it is my favorite overview.
Attached: statechildcarequalityinitiativesapril2011_0.pdf (532.6 KB) 
Laurel 10:46 AM 09-16-2015
Thanks, I'll check it out later. Don't have time now.

Laurel
LysesKids 10:52 AM 09-16-2015
I think ALL states are working on some sort of QRIS and eventually it will be mandated for ALL states. My state is already QRIS mandated and renewed annually. Providers here get NO choice...You do it or give up your license!
See in my case even if I was licensed I can only take 4 because my home is infants/toddlers under 24 month. I'll be damned if I jump the hoops for QRIS because the babies are enough work ( I was looking at moving houses to get licensed, but changed my mind last month). Nope, I already go thru all the required for Camelot so I can take foster babies as Drop-ins... I'm good. Don't have to be licensed here to get on food program either so that's another plus lol
AmyLeigh 11:37 AM 09-16-2015
Is the hand washing your decision or is it mandated by your city? I'm only asking because many sources show that hand washing dishes uses the same amount or even more water than a dishwasher does. So if you are trying to be an ecologically minded person , you can still in good conscience use your dishwasher, especially if it is a high efficiency model.
daycare 11:40 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Is the hand washing your decision or is it mandated by your city? I'm only asking because many sources show that hand washing dishes uses the same amount or even more water than a dishwasher does. So if you are trying to be an ecologically minded person , you can still in good conscience use your dishwasher, especially if it is a high efficiency model.
I would have to run the washer 6+ times a day and it would be more water than the way that I am doing it now. No one has been sick in months, so obviously I am able to kill germs the way that I am doing it. The washer here is an older model and I can't change it as I don't own the home.
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 09-16-2015

Annalee 11:45 AM 09-16-2015
U have always said the magic year is 2017 and looks like QRIS is right on track.....
Blackcat31 11:48 AM 09-16-2015
Quality Rating and Improvement Systems Framework

"QRIS is not just about ratings or a stand alone program to improve quality, it is a unique tool for system reform that has the potential to reach programs that serve a wide range of children and are financed by many public and private sources, including parent fees. A well designed QRIS provides the following:

1.) Quality assurances by creating and aligning program and professional standards and assessing and monitoring how well programs meet those standards

2.) Supply-side intervention that link QRIS standards and participation with:

◦Program supports including: technical assistance and coaching
◦Professional Development supports including: training and scholarships
◦Financial supports including: grants, bonuses, differential reimbursement, wage supplements and tax credits

3.) Demand side intervention designed to influence consumer ECE choices by providing:

◦an easy-to-understand consumer guide to quality (star rating) and public education to assure consumers understand its meaning and use
◦links between higher quality child care choices and financial incentives such as tax credits and differential reimbursement

QRIS are a framework for an ECE System. A well-designed QRIS has all the elements of a high functioning standards-based system, as demonstrated by the graphic below:"

http://qrisnetwork.org/our-framework
nanglgrl 11:57 AM 09-16-2015
I've said it before and I will say it again, I'm glad I live in Iowa. The cold/hot weather is worth it because or QRS is pretty well put together. We don't have any weird rules about how to wash dishes, how children have to wash hands, how to change diapers unless you get to 5 stars and that's just because with 5 stars you need to score a 5.0 or above on FCCERS. the fifth star is the only level that uses FCCERS.

I do agree that all of this is just a way to push family care out of business. The government needs to get out of education, they're making it worse.
AmyLeigh 11:58 AM 09-16-2015
I would have to run the washer 6+ times a day and it would be more water than the way that I am doing it now. No one has been sick in months, so obviously I am able to kill germs the way that I am doing it. The washer here is an older model and I can't change it as I don't own the home.
Gotcha...I was trying to find an out for you! I used to feel guilty running my dishwasher twice daily until I did the research about water usage.
Just another reason I'm glad that QRIS hasn't arrived here yet and I most likely will be out of the game by the time it does.
Jack Sprat 12:04 PM 09-16-2015
I live in Kansas and so far I can only find one county that is participating. I sent a message to our Child Care Aware rep asking when if ever we would all be required to participate. I haven't heard back from her.

So I have a couple of questions for you all.

What do I need to google to find the "rules" for our state? I haven't found much information at all.

Do you get in "trouble" if your not 5 stars?
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
I live in Kansas and so far I can only find one county that is participating. I sent a message to our Child Care Aware rep asking when if ever we would all be required to participate. I haven't heard back from her.

So I have a couple of questions for you all.

What do I need to google to find the "rules" for our state? I haven't found much information at all.

https://qrisguide.acf.hhs.gov/files/...file_FINAL.pdf

https://qrisguide.acf.hhs.gov/index....nfo&stateID=66
Blackcat31 12:08 PM 09-16-2015
Here is the link to info for all states in case anyone wants/needs it

https://qrisguide.acf.hhs.gov/index.cfm?do=qrisstate
Unregistered 12:10 PM 09-16-2015
Air dry with a hair dryer.
nanglgrl 12:11 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
No, not here and I'm pretty sure not in any state. Each star is just a "quality" indicator. Most states have it set up so you are one star just by being registered. Of course 5 stars is better than 1,2,3 or 4 but IMO says more about ability to play the game than quality.
Jack Sprat 12:20 PM 09-16-2015
Thanks BC!

I had to laugh about the dishwasher. Ours is used for storage of canned goods, pasta etc. In order to use it we would have to rip up half of our house to get to old septic lines and redo the plumbing from the house to the street.
mom2many 01:41 PM 09-16-2015
The more I hear about QRIS, the more I hope I can retire before it takes hold here where I live in SF Bay Area. I am all for quality childcare....but so far nothing this program offers seems to do, accomplishes this. What a bunch of absolute nonsense!
littletots 01:49 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Yep, I'm ohio & usda food handlers say air dry no towels.
Thriftylady 04:49 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
Yep, I'm ohio & usda food handlers say air dry no towels.
Yep Ohio here also!
Febby 05:09 PM 09-16-2015
Centers here have to have a commercial kitchen with regular health inspections (and we all have to have food handlers) so 3 step wash/sanitize and air dry for us.

I'm not sure what the rules are for home day cares, though.
littletots 07:11 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
Centers here have to have a commercial kitchen with regular health inspections (and we all have to have food handlers) so 3 step wash/sanitize and air dry for us.

I'm not sure what the rules are for home day cares, though.
Military licensed family child care providers are also trained food handlers, unannounced inspection every 4 months, same 3 steps.
Reply Up