Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Red Flag?
ihop 08:27 AM 09-09-2013
I have a dcb starting today. Mom should have been here an hour ago for drop off with contract and deposit. We spoke last night and everything seemed ready to go. Her schedule is open so she doesn't have a specific time she must be at work... but she gave a drop off time yesterday.

Is this a red flag? Signs of what's to come? Or am I over thinking it.?
MotherNature 08:38 AM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by ihop:
I have a dcb starting today. Mom should have been here an hour ago for drop off with contract and deposit. We spoke last night and everything seemed ready to go. Her schedule is open so she doesn't have a specific time she must be at work... but she gave a drop off time yesterday.

Text/ call her. I hope she's not flaky, but she might be if that's how she's treated today. One of my families also has flexible hours & they usually run late, but they are a great family in all other ways, and are on time at pickup 99% of the time. They text me if running late every time. I just don't think they're punctual people, and I am. I overlook the occasional lateness b/c they're awesome. If it was a problem family, I wouldn't. Anyway, hope your mom works out!
preschoolteacher 08:40 AM 09-09-2013
I think you should just be more clear with her on your policies regarding drop off times. I'd cut her a break this time because she might just be unaware of how it is a problem for you.

I would tell her you need her to commit to a set drop off time like 8:00 AM. If she's going to be more than 15 minutes late, you require her to call and let you know. I have a policy that if a parent is an hour or more late for drop-off and has not called that I charge them $5 because I have to take time out of watching the other kids to call them and see if they are coming or not.
nanglgrl 08:53 AM 09-09-2013
I would call or text. There have just been too many children being injured or dying by being left in the car when the parent forgot to drop them at daycare (especially when they are out of routine). It's rare but I'd hate to feel like a little phone call from me could have prevented something terrible.
Brooksie 08:53 AM 09-09-2013
I had a mom that would do that because she too had a flexible schedule. She would drop off any where from 8:30-10:30. Everyday was a guessing game and was very difficult getting dcb on our schedule. I just gave her notice that said I would be changing my policy to only allow drop offs between 7:30-8:30 and anything after 8:45 would not be accepted for the day because that is when we start out morning circle and activities. She stepped it up and dcb does wonderfully with the new structure. Just be clear with her as to what you expect. Flexibility is nice but as providers we thrive on structure. You need to know who is coming when so that we know how to plan our days. Its not an unreasonable request.
Play Care 09:23 AM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I would call or text. There have just been too many children being injured or dying by being left in the car when the parent forgot to drop them at daycare (especially when they are out of routine). It's rare but I'd hate to feel like a little phone call from me could have prevented something terrible.

In some states it's a regulation that you must call if a family is late for that very reason.
ihop 10:30 AM 09-09-2013
She showed up shortly after I posted. It's her first time leaving him at daycare and I think she just wanted the extra time with him. Plus a half hour goodbye. I'loving her some slack for a few days to let then get settled birthdays about it.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!
Maria2013 10:57 AM 09-09-2013

you should contact her to make sure she still coming, and most of all she understands she is the one with a flexible schedule, not you, being on time is a must
Maria2013 10:59 AM 09-09-2013
She showed up shortly after I posted. It's her first time leaving him at daycare and I think she just wanted the extra time with him. Plus a half hour goodbye. I'loving her some slack for a few days to let then get settled birthdays about it.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!
you're very nice and understanding, I hope you wont let parents take advantage of that
Reply Up