Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Did You Take Tomorrow (NYE) As A Paid Holiday?
DaycareMom 10:24 AM 12-30-2013
I was just wondering how many people take New Year's Eve as a paid holiday. I know most people take New Year's Day...

One DCM is very surprised and a bit miffed that I took this day as a paid holiday.
SilverSabre25 10:39 AM 12-30-2013
No. we never do anything of note on NYE, and it's an "evening" event kind of day anyway, and this year it falls in the middle of the week.
juliebug 10:41 AM 12-30-2013
Yep I take it off every year and they pay
WImom 10:42 AM 12-30-2013
yes - both NYE and NYD closed and paid.
GKJNIGMN 10:44 AM 12-30-2013
I didn't take the day of New Year's eve off but I was originally schedule to close at 3PM. My latest pickup is 4:30PM now and my overnight kids are on daytime hours this week so I decided just to stay open until 4:30.

I know the daycare centers in my area are all closed the day of New Year's Eve because I got a few calls for drop ins for that day.
Crazy8 10:46 AM 12-30-2013
yes, its been one of my paid holidays since I started my daycare 12 years ago. So of course today a parent who's been with me for 3 years walks in and says "oh, you are closed tomorrow?" with a look of surprise - same parent who brought child the day after xmas when parents AND siblings were all home playing with their new toys.
melilley 10:49 AM 12-30-2013
No, just New Years Day. If we do do anything, it's not until later. This year I'll only have 1 child tomorrow.
MarinaVanessa 10:50 AM 12-30-2013
I don't do anything for either New Year's Eve or New Year's Day so I don't take them off. I have three children and two of them are young (one is 4mo and the other is 3yo) and going out just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather stay home with my babies anyway. If I'm going to be home I don't feel the need to close.
melilley 10:52 AM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
yes, its been one of my paid holidays since I started my daycare 12 years ago. So of course today a parent who's been with me for 3 years walks in and says "oh, you are closed tomorrow?" with a look of surprise - same parent who brought child the day after xmas when parents AND siblings were all home playing with their new toys.
I have one of those parents too. Dcb was here one day while mom, grandma, big brother, and grandpa were all at grandma's making cookies and he's here every day dcm has off. Oh well, what can you do?
SSWonders 11:01 AM 12-30-2013
I am open. Regular crew and 5 as kids.
MotherNature 11:06 AM 12-30-2013
I'm closed, but only because I managed my paid vacation weeks in there. I'm closed Jan 1, paid as a normal holiday, but I'm not normally closed on NYE.
AcornMama 11:07 AM 12-30-2013
No, but I'm getting it off anyway, as none of my dcks will be coming.

I did take off Wed as a paid holiday, but not NYE. My hubby has to work, most parents would, I'd think, so I'm willing to. But it turns out I won't have to.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:09 AM 12-30-2013
I took off NYD not eve. I have parents that work NYE but they are all off NYD. If I had a nurse or something that "had" to work I would consider it but luckily I don't.
MCC 11:31 AM 12-30-2013
I'm closed Eve and Day
nanglgrl 12:07 PM 12-30-2013
I took of Christmas Eve and will open again on January 2nd. All paid days.
sharlan 12:11 PM 12-30-2013
I'm not taking tomorrow off, but I am taking NYD off.
Stepping 12:17 PM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
yes - both NYE and NYD closed and paid.
Same here. I'm originally from England and used to much more holidays than you get here in the US. I take both days paid every year.
VTMom 12:26 PM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
No. we never do anything of note on NYE, and it's an "evening" event kind of day anyway, and this year it falls in the middle of the week.
Same here.
Annalee 01:28 PM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I was just wondering how many people take New Year's Eve as a paid holiday. I know most people take New Year's Day...

One DCM is very surprised and a bit miffed that I took this day as a paid holiday.
I took NYE too. I think DCP expect us to work 24/7 52 weeks a yr....they would not work that much for their employer.... After 20 plus years in my own business and 30 years in child care, I feel I am due some benefits. My husband has only been at his job for 7 years and he gets 3 weeks paid vacation already....I know child care is viewed as a different kind of "profession" but one I wish society would value more. The difference is that self-employment forces child care providers to "take care of themselves".
e.j. 01:51 PM 12-30-2013
I'm closed between Christmas and New Year's Day every year. New Year's Day is a paid holiday for me but the rest of the time, including New Year's Eve is part of my unpaid vacation week.
Patches 03:59 PM 12-30-2013
I'm open tomorrow for New Year's Eve but closed for New Year's Day (paid)
Reply Up